any lawn folks here?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In nearly all of the continental US,
1) roundup will kill everything
2) seed will not germinate in November
3) in December you'll have frozen dirt and no grass.

+1......

Crab grass is an annual. Absolutely no reason to kill when next years crop comes seed.
Aerate, seed then cover with straw in the fall. Mid- September into early October works well in our area. Or..... my preferred method, wait until late February, early March and let the freeze, thaw cycle work the seed into the ground. Then use a fertilizer with a crab grass preventive in the Spring.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
We don't have this named grass, but I did check it out.
I would go to someone like your local Nufarm rep. (check their web page for a local contact).
They will have a product to solve your problem.
It can't be hard otherwise it would be a big problem for your broad acre farmers.

Cheers
Phillip

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well here's the plan

perfect weather for new grass. I mowed the bad stuff really short (1.5") and raked up all the clippings. This exposed a good amount of dirt. Got one bag of seed down this morning before the rain hit and will add more next break in the weather. The crabgrass is not looking healthy we had right a freezing the toher night plus minimal rain last few weeks so hoping it it won't grow back as fast as the new.

southkogs

Staff member
Make sure you pay attention to your pre-emergent in the spring. That'll getcha' ahead of the crab grass.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well it worked. Got a nice yard going so far. I bought a 4 gal backpack sprayer that i'm battling dandelions with and a few bare spots but sll good. I went with fescue but will be using the Scotts Southern Gold mix each fall for the overseeding

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Neighbors around me have grass growing in their dandelions. I don't remember a year that I've seen quite this many. I've been beating my front yard into submission for a few years, so I'm staying with a broadleaf battle. Not necessarily better ... but greener :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't know about Fescue, but Centipede is a great lawn choice around where I live. And I use Scotts turf builder religiously three times a year. And my neighbors all look at me really funny when in the late fall I'm fertilizing what seems to be dead lawn (it is actually dormant). But this time of the year our lawn is so dark green and filled in and the neighbors are scrambling to get their to that point now. Yes we do have neighborhood one-upmanship going on... But we also talk between each other about what we are doing or did to make it look so nice. I'd much rather this type neighborhood then folks that don't care about their homes! With that said, they do make a product (I think it is from Spectracide) that kills the dandelion and broad-left weeds and doesn't hurt the Centipede one bit. And that stuff really works great too. However, I don't know if that would work on Fescue lawns. You could read the labels and see though. Here is last years lawn look;

70% lawn.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Oh yeah im a big fall fertilizer guy.

The empty lot next to us i one giant dandelion pit

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh yeah im a big fall fertilizer guy.

The empty lot next to us i one giant dandelion pit

You know Dandelions are eatable you know. You could harvest them and sell them as some great new healthy vegetable...throw in the words "organically grown" and there you go! :smile: :noidea:

bassman284

Commander
You know Dandelions are eatable you know. You could harvest them and sell them as some great new healthy vegetable...throw in the words "organically grown" and there you go! :smile: :noidea:
Or you could make some dandelion wine. Mighty smooth.