back pain issues since work accident update

ezbtr

Commander
Told workmans comp and doc about it, pain went away for few months (have been on crutces 6 mos for leg) WC doc said they tech can't look at it since it not a claim yet so I had Kaiser xray it, Kaiser doc says its age (I'm 50 and work always physical in IT) related osteo arthritis???? Never had many issues before, think its due to crutches, my gait?? WC doc did order PT for it as he thinks work related but he hasn't seen xrays. Any thoughts? I do stretch etc all time and practice with one crutch and none

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
This is actually pretty common as we age, I have had it since I was in my 30's

probably due to lack of exercise. I suffer from trapped nerves, Had a pain in the thigh that felt like a knife stuck in my leg I moved slightly and area went numb (been that way 3 years now). If Im lazy at the weekend and lay around by Monday im in real pain. After a few hours of work the pain seems to fade and normally by the afternoon im fairly pain free (industrial E&I so im always moving). Im off work this week so im forcing my self to do some yard work / cleaning the shop to keep my back flexible in the hope it doesn't play up to bad.

ezbtr

Commander
I gotta ask lawyer, but boy they dont like to work much either :rolleyes:

ezbtr

Commander
I get around plenty and do notice if I don't I'm stiffer and not going to keep taking muscle relaxers

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
ezbtr,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but after I got shot in '91 all kinds of different thing started happening, it was a traumatic injury and I was not able to keep moving the way I did before, then when I fell off the ladder in 2006, things got way worse, but there were signs of OA and RA when I was in my 20's, so it is not something that is new, it is very frustraiting, but injury or not, it is a part of aging, another thing they need to check for, is stenosis in the hips and back which is a narrowing of the nerve paths through the bones, which is also common as we age:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stenosis

It looks like I am going to have a rotor router job done on my hips to open those nerve paths up again, so they are not pinching, I know because you were injured on the job, it would be easy to lay blame, but you need to get with a good back and nerve doctor and have a MRI to find out what is actually going on. There are a lot of pains that all of us ignore when we are getting older, then we get hurt and want to blame the injury, but you need to find out, how these things progress and treat the aging areas of your body and not blame everything on the injury from work, you need to get with some good doctors who know about this stuff, believe me, I wanted to blame everything on my gun shot wound, but in truth, many of the things I have going on, has nothing to do with it.

Good luck, keep your chin up and pursue it until you have a plan of action, they told me I would never walk again, and I have run 4 mini marathons in the last 5 years.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I get around plenty and do notice if I don't I'm stiffer and not going to keep taking muscle relaxers

I can feel your pain and understand and agree about the pills. I have been fighting with P.A.D. for over 10 years and after injuring my back this spring pulling a stuck boat trailer out of a soft bottom launch which bulged a disk between L4 and L5 it's been a struggle to do even simple things at times. My leg strength gets progressively weaker with each passing year and is now to the point that I have pain even at rest..

While I was going thru PT for my back they kept trying to get me to do things that my legs just wouldn't allow yet they persisted with those exercises! 2 of them after a couple of minutes of trying I finally had to tell then "I can't do this". They seemed truely upset!

Sure makes life hard when you can neither sit or walk for long periods of time because it becomes painful.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a tub of Ibuprofen near me at all times. Not a 200 pill bottle, however the big 750 tablet bottles (yes I know). if it isnt my lower back (L3 and L4) its the start of arthritis in both ankles, right shoulder, amongst other locations. And I am only 46. I think part of it is just getting old.

ezbtr

Commander
the more I move around, work on house etc, the better I feel, I think either none or just one anti spasm med today, some days none

ezbtr

Commander
ezbtr,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but after I got shot in '91 all kinds of different thing started happening, it was a traumatic injury and I was not able to keep moving the way I did before, then when I fell off the ladder in 2006, things got way worse, but there were signs of OA and RA when I was in my 20's, so it is not something that is new, it is very frustraiting, but injury or not, it is a part of aging, another thing they need to check for, is stenosis in the hips and back which is a narrowing of the nerve paths through the bones, which is also common as we age:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stenosis

It looks like I am going to have a rotor router job done on my hips to open those nerve paths up again, so they are not pinching, I know because you were injured on the job, it would be easy to lay blame, but you need to get with a good back and nerve doctor and have a MRI to find out what is actually going on. There are a lot of pains that all of us ignore when we are getting older, then we get hurt and want to blame the injury, but you need to find out, how these things progress and treat the aging areas of your body and not blame everything on the injury from work, you need to get with some good doctors who know about this stuff, believe me, I wanted to blame everything on my gun shot wound, but in truth, many of the things I have going on, has nothing to do with it.

Good luck, keep your chin up and pursue it until you have a plan of action, they told me I would never walk again, and I have run 4 mini marathons in the last 5 years.
Dang, where you get hit? Yeah I need em to look more at stenosis, this just the start I think, but all this right after accident??? I think not, my thought is due to accident and no one has really looked at this in depth

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I know if I do not keep in shape IE get a bit of a gut my lower back hurts when working, so I try and work on my core muscles by doing sit ups or crunches before going out on the road. And stretching sure helps before starting the day.

ezbtr

Commander
I know if I do not keep in shape IE get a bit of a gut my lower back hurts when working, so I try and work on my core muscles by doing sit ups or crunches before going out on the road. And stretching sure helps before starting the day.
Me too, and I did gain about 10 lbs, gf is an awesome cook, LOL :)

sam60

Captain
Keep moving ezbtr, I was slammed head first into the ocean floor while trying to body surf. Tore the rotator cuff and neck is now fused. Broke Tib & Fib on a dirt bike later. None were at work so I had to get back quickly.