Rain measured in feet

angus63

Captain
Also just heard that the town record 24hr rainfall until today was 6.12". The New York State record all time was 11".

Last edited:

angus63

Captain
From 2am until 7am this morning over 13in of rain fell in my town. Water knee to waist deep everywhere. All homes near me flooded. All highways closed. 30 boats swamped down the road. My pumps are keeping the basement below the outlets. Stay dry! QUOTE=angus63;n8370788]Also just heard that the town record 24hr rainfall until today was 6.12". The New York State record all time was 11".[/QUOTE]

rbh

Fleet Admiral
WOW, between hurricanes and rain storms you sure have got wacked over the last few years.

angus63

Captain
All the practice has made me well prepared equipment-wise and mentally. This one was not forecast and made for a rough morning. Now that the water is receding, the fun starts with the vacuums and buckets. Want to live on the ocean? I have a few friends banging for sale signs into the front yard as we speak!

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I grew up on south shore of Long Island, and I remember in late 50s a hurricane - Gloria??? - hit hard. I remember walking atop tracks in waist-deep water to check on my father's boat. Many boats were moored between 2 poles with ropes. The water got so high the ropes pulled many boats under water. My Pop's was on a mooring and was okay.

angus63

Captain
I was a NYcity kid and moved out to Long Island in the early 70's. What amazes me is this was not a hurricane, noreaster, or named storm, yet it dropped over a foot of rain in four hours. Found out the town drainage system is designed to handle up to 5" of rain in 24 hrs. Getting 13" in four hrs exceeded the rate by more than 12X. Thanks Mother Nature!

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was a NYcity kid and moved out to Long Island in the early 70's. What amazes me is this was not a hurricane, noreaster, or named storm, yet it dropped over a foot of rain in four hours. Found out the town drainage system is designed to handle up to 5" of rain in 24 hrs. Getting 13" in four hrs exceeded the rate by more than 12X. Thanks Mother Nature!

Yes, I believe they call it "training" when bands of rain follow the same path.
You were just lucky....:rolleyes: