Robin Williams........

WIMUSKY

Staff member
A little surprised no one started a topic like has been done in the past when someone passes. I'm not the type that hangs his hat on "stars". As far as I'm concerned, they put their pants on the same way I do, except there is a lot more money in their pockets. But I'm compelled to say something since I felt that Robin was one of the good guys. I don't know his exact history and don't want to bring up any dirty laundry. There's no one amongst us who hasn't had some dirty laundry at some point in our lives.

He was a very funny man. And had almost a boyish mannerism that people could relate to and embrace. He just seemed to be genuine. A quality that you don't see much anymore in Hollywood. Too many egos. It didn't appear that Robin let his fame change who he was.

But he was a very troubled man. Depression/alcoholism which seems to go hand in hand. Then he reached the point of no return. When a person crosses that line , there's no helping them.

There's a lesson to be learned. If you're depressed, seek help. Don't be embarrassed, millions of people suffer from this disease. If you know a person who is depressed, do what you can to help them. It may not always be easy, but hopefully they will get to a point where they thank you for every thing you have done to get them back on track again.

Just be aware of the signs. Seek help, or help someone else before it's too late. Life is precious, embrace it.......

Thanks for listening.........

WIMUSKY

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I took the time (93:03 minutes to watch his interview (if you can call it that) inside the actors studio and WOW!

If you have the time well worth it to watch it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Remember, suicide does not make life better, it prevents it from ever becoming better.

phone_hotline-40.gif
Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

alldodge

Staff member
Agree Williams was one of the great ones, I put him in there with Bill Cosby. They could both get you to laughing so hard and not use one fowl word.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I absolutely loved Robin Williams on golf.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was telling my wife last night that he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. A very down to earth person that an average person could relate to.
Depression got the best of my mother a few years ago.
I have times when depression gets the best of me, and it is no fun. But I have learned to cope with and deal with it. But no matter what, it never goes away.

ezbtr

Commander
Yeah he was great, I actually bumped into him at a In and Out up here in Marin where her lived, didn't bug him though, he was really just a regular guy a lot of times(so I've read) and quite the sports fan of local teams(SF Giants) but apparently the demise of his last TV show and his depression, ex wives financial dealings were really bumming him out, the thing I don't understand is, his ranch up here is for sale for 30 mil, and he had ongoing work projects, only been recently married 3 ish years, kids who loved him, this depression thing must run reallyyyyyyyyyyy deep......

NYBo

Admiral
His widow revealed he was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease, which often presents as depression. A perfect storm of life challenges and biology which the poor man couldn't overcome. Very sad.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My wife read one of the TV docs said heart surgery often triggers bouts of depression. He had a heart valve replaced five years ago. Along with his drug and drinking problems and the Parkinson's diagnosis, he had a full plate.

NYBo

Admiral
Drug and alcohol abuse is often a form of self-medication for depression and anxiety.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Drug and alcohol abuse is often a form of self-medication for depression and anxiety.

Yup, nothing like a good ol' depressant (alcohol) to chase the blues away.

On another note, I read this past weekend that those Westboro Baptist Church fanatic idiots ( you know, the ones that picket soldiers funerals and say dead soldiers are good) plan to picket Robin Williams funeral because of the role he played in the movie The Bird Cage.... I hope someone douses them with cat urine when they do.

DayCruiser

Ensign
Wonderful Human being!. Sad to see him go but he will avoid all that old age suffering. I know a bunch of old people and many of them wish they could die

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Wonderful Human being!. Sad to see him go but he will avoid all that old age suffering. I know a bunch of old people and many of them wish they could die

I have appreciated every single day I have had, despite the frustrations since my day when I was shot in combat, it would have been easy to give up, and I have come to the conclusion, I would have missed way to much, the birth of 5 grand children, watching the kids grow up, the unfortunate loss of my sister due to a murder/suicide, watching my Dad make it through a heart surgery.

It would have been easy to give up, and I am aweful proud that I choose to live and enjoy those many joys that life gives us every single day.

Robin, rest in peace and I will enjoy your movies in the future, I just wish you would have found a different way to ease your pain!

DayCruiser

Ensign
I have appreciated every single day I have had, despite the frustrations since my day when I was shot in combat, it would have been easy to give up, and I have come to the conclusion, I would have missed way to much, the birth of 5 grand children, watching the kids grow up, the unfortunate loss of my sister due to a murder/suicide, watching my Dad make it through a heart surgery.

It would have been easy to give up, and I am aweful proud that I choose to live and enjoy those many joys that life gives us every single day.

Robin, rest in peace and I will enjoy your movies in the future, I just wish you would have found a different way to ease your pain!

One thing for sure is that everyone ages differently. I know some are pretty active at 90 and enjoying grand kids. While some are in and out of hospitals while just in their 70s with Docs trying to control their pain. Quality of life is what its all about. We selfishly make people live. I think it should be up to the individual to make the decision about living and we should respect the choices they make--or just mind our own business and leave them alone

NYBo

Admiral

You da man, MT. Well said.

jester31

Banned
One thing for sure is that everyone ages differently. I know some are pretty active at 90 and enjoying grand kids. While some are in and out of hospitals while just in their 70s with Docs trying to control their pain. Quality of life is what its all about. We selfishly make people live. I think it should be up to the individual to make the decision about living and we should respect the choices they make--or just mind our own business and leave them alone

Such a Great loss of talent! He made so many people happy, apparently except himself. I thought as he got older, he seemed to mellow out, be more comfortable with himself, apparently not so. This must have came about suddenly at a weak moment. "When I heard the news bulletin, I felt like I was punched in the belly!" R.I.P. Robin you entertained us, & we've loved you all along!

I've always had an up attitude with life, but as I've gotten older, I've developed, & experienced quite a few medical issues, & pain, along the way, some serious, some niggling, that sometimes I feel like ending it all myself, but I don't dwell on it. I think if I became totally immobile, or went blind, it would put me over the edge.

DayCruiser

Ensign
Yea everyone has different breaking points. For some the end of the rope is shorter than others. Robin was facing Parkinson disease. Maybe he thought he could no longer be Robin with Parkinson. This may have made his depression unbearable. Then we don't know what he finances were. Struggling with alcohol disease. Mental break downs can happen to anyone. We put animals to sleep for humane reason. Shame human into living for selfish reasons. Dying is a personal thing. Dying is not a group thing. Many people have lost their mobility. Many don't have family or friends who visit them. Many are now out living their family, friends and money.
I have met some who say they wish they could die. They say they have had enough. They are beyond tired of living. Even their animal instinct to survive is gone. Mentally and physically they are spent. They would like to go out in a dignified way and that is what is keeping them here. The shame the US labels people who commit suicide. Just a sad situation

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Day Cruiser, that is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. But to me, life is sacred. Life is precious. Life is to be shared. Robin Williams, depression or sickness did not kill him, his choice did. He chose to live his life in the public eye, and then he chose to hurt all who loved him and supported him.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is easy to speculate and very difficult to know when someone chooses this path, I have lost my sister to a murder/suicide and lost a good friends 18 year old son to a suicide. With my trials and tribulations it would have been real easy to take that way out, but one thing kept me going....The question, what will tomorrow bring, my curiosity always gets the best of me, I am one of those types that always wants to know, what is over the next hill, what is around the next bend, what is down that road, etc. I am an optimist, I think the next cure will happen tomorrow, I believe the sun will always shine brighter in the morning. I just don't want to give up the next chance that life may offer me.

Like I said, I wish Robin could have found a less permanent solution to his situation, because it does hurt when someone chooses this path, I do hope he rests in peace and his family will eventually recover and not blame themselves.

Last edited: