Is my wife's place of employment manipulating her?

hostage

Lieutenant
My wife just finished her Masters in Social Work and started looking for jobs in medical social work. She just took her license exam and got a high score on it. Anyway she was looking for jobs and her previous stipend internship required that she have 1 year of post grad work, before she could get hired by them. So she couldn't take a job with her place of internship (VA). She interviewed and got a second interview with a different hospital for a salaried and benefited position, but the job ended up going to someone she went to school with that interned at that hospital. After a month and a half of not having a job, the hospital contacted her about a per diem position. Basically the equivalent hourly pay w/o benefits, and really bad hours. I was thinking one benefit of per Diem is that she could accept or decline the option of coming in. Though she is being scheduled out for 3 months working almost 40 hours a week. I am really questioning their definition of per Diem. It appears to me all the benefits of coming in at will is negated. It feels like this company is really manipulating her into position. Another thing that bugs me is they charge her for parking and she has to drive 35miles+ each way for this job. She also is mostly working 3:30-11:30pm she also has one overnight and one weekend. The one thing they said is that she can leave at any time. Though, will they not hold it against her if she leaves as soon as she gets a better option? Am I over-reacting, or are they really doing this to get out of paying her benefits. She is working in the ED/ER.

It feels like giving an employee to much it bankrupts the company, giving them to little sucks the quality out of the company.

alldodge

Staff member
The only folks which have to be fair about any kind of a job, is the government. I've got a lot of stories about the wife and her carrier, mine was easy being with the DoD. Just keep looking for the next job, it will come. Least with her current position, she can leave anytime and not come back and nothing can be said to the next employer. No 2 or 6 weeks required

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't understand how they are "manipulating" her into the job. If she doesn't like the terms of employment she's doesn't have to accept the position.

The way I look at it, it's a win-win for both parties. Your wife has an income while looking for a full time job and the hospital is getting a job done w/o paying unemployment tax, etc.

hostage

Lieutenant
I wasn't to happy about her accepting the job, though after they hired her I saw that they scheduled her out for 3 months working close to 40 hours a week. We all can be prejudice, I guess working for 4 different company in 1 year and only changed the desk I sat at once made me more so that way.

She isn't 1099, but a W-4 employee. I guess if she keeps working the same hours in 2015 they will have 3 options:
1) Have a staffing firm hire her that has under 50 employees and contact her back to the same position
2) Reduce her hours under 30
3) Give her health insurance

Lastly if she leaves on short notice to a better job at a different company, is there any recourse or burnt bridge between her and her current employer? They mentioned that she could leave any time for another position in the company and when they offered her the position, they asked if she really wanted it as well. Like they knew it was a bad offer and thought she was crazy for taking it. They were glad to get her and she interviewed with the same person that she interviewed for the previous job that went to her peer. They offered my wife the job on the spot during the first interview for the per deim job. She is a very hard worker, she could have worked for a couple places she worked in the past for, though she wants to get into the medical side of social work instead of a counseling.

She had an interview yesterday at different hospital that is per Diem as well, though is closer, no parking fees, and has better hours.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
two things........... most (first) jobs in any profession are less than ideal, if she chooses to stick it out in time she will be in a much better position to find the kind of position she wants.......... It's called paying your due's....... Many Dr's first jobs after graduating are working odd hours/weekends until they gain expeiriance then that position opens up for a new graduate................
EDIT - No politics!

Last edited by a moderator:

NYBo

Admiral
She's not being manipulated, but she is certainly being taken advantage of, compared to her fellow student who got the other "real" job. Employers shouldn't wonder why they have retention problems when they treat employees like this.

hostage if you was offered a less than perfect job in a field that you wanted to work in would your wife support you or add to the stress by pointing out the down sides. Sometimes its hard to take a job at the bottom of the ladder but at least she is on the ladder going in the direction she hopes to travel. Now if she's unhappy then she's going to vent and chew on you for a bit........welcome to married life.

blackhorse

Seaman Apprentice
With a degree in social work she is likely in for some rough times ahead. I hope doesn't owe any student loans!

NYBo

Admiral
With a degree in social work she is likely in for some rough times ahead. I hope doesn't owe any student loans!

A man is walking down the street. A robber in a ski mask jumps out of a dark alley, sticks a gun in his face, and says, "your money or your life!"
The man replies, "Sir, I am a social worker. I have no money and I have no life."

Captain Ollie West

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome to health care reform. Hospitals are being asked to do more with less. The unfunded mandates are increasing at a steep rate at the same time reimbursement is on a rapidid decline. Anyone who works in health care is in for a roller coater ride for at least the next ten years. I have worked in health care for the last 11 years, 8 of those in management. I have seen the numbers and they are not pretty. The blue psunami is another factor. As more and more Baby Boomers retire, we will the burden on the health care system increase at the same time as more nurses are retiring than new ones are graduating. Hold on!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
welcome (or your wife anyway) to low man on the totem pole and contract work in health care.

while a Master's degree may sound awesome, you have to remember nearly everyone in her field has one.

I hated when my wife was working in medical field. can't make plans for any reasonable times etc. it is good money and solid work though.
by the way contract work is generally good for the company not always for the employee, although I hope she got good coin. normally at least 20% over what a direct job would pay with bennies. sometimes much more.

sounds like it is "at will" employment. yes she can leave short term. HOWEVER don't think for a minute there isn't a network of folks in that industry that would quickly know she had done that. when the next opportunity came along it would be remembered.

as she progresses she will build a network of folks who like her work. evetually that will lead to a great job. she should focus on that.

I guess you haven't been told about the "mandatory" invitations yet. we just gave up front row seats at the theatre for an "invitation" I received from work. my better half was not happy at all. I sure love hearing about it over and over as though it's my fault.....hint hint.
we had been planning to attend the play for over 6 months. could we go? sure. would it be remembered, oh yeah.

made that mistake once, refusing to go for drinks because I was on a motorcycle. I was not so politely told it didn't matter what my excuse was.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
I have to strongly disagree on a few points, avenger. She got a job at essentially the same hourly rate of pay, with crappy hours that are subject to the whims of management, and no benefits. I have been in a health-related field for over 35 years and I wouldn't bat an eye if a job applicant quit such a job for better pay and/or better hours and/or benefits.

It sounds like your employer is a real doozy. Can you say, "hostile work environment"?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I have to strongly disagree on a few points, avenger. She got a job at essentially the same hourly rate of pay, with crappy hours that are subject to the whims of management, and no benefits. I have been in a health-related field for over 35 years and I wouldn't bat an eye if a job applicant quit such a job for better pay and/or better hours and/or benefits.
It sounds like your employer is a real doozy. Can you say, "hostile work environment"?

if she accepted same rate, that is called poor negotiation on her part, or lack of experience in the field and with contract work in general. We've all been through both, and learned how to deal with it. ie: get paid more LOL
crappy hours come from being new, if you're in health field, I am sure you know most new employees get the worst hours that the long term employees don't want. if you luck into better hours, you are either very lucky or someone knew you.

can she quit for better wages? absolutely! and most employers would understand. He implied walking out on very short notice. big difference.

I actually work for a fantastic company now days. Theatre tickets aside. It was a surprise when they requested all of our presence at an evening event but there are worse things in life. I know from reading one post it could come across as a bad place it really is one of the best, hence why I don't mind moving the theatre dates around. didn't get front row though.

The going for drinks incident was at a different employer, now known as former, that was just one incident out of many there. over the years there have been some doozys though. LOL I could write a book about some of the places LOL

Bigprairie1

Commander
Contract work is the current trend of the future now. They say by 2020....something like 40% of the N.American workforce will be employed this way and most indicators show thats the way its going. (note: the backstory on it is a really interesting conversation....LOL)

I think the 'older generation', which is probably most of us (over 40? over 45? over 50?....LOL) will have to get used to the idea that the day and age of the stable 25 to 30 year job in one location with benefits, pensions, salary, 9 to 5....is pretty much over. The trick is to get a leg up and get with the new trend and simply outpace the pack and I agree with Avengers comments about working to build a successful network....that is what will pay off for her a little more in the long run.

One thing in getting 'with the trend' is to be strategic about when and how she moves around positions. Anyone who leaves jobs/positions too quick will be deemed unreliable and anyone who 'overstays their welcome' is considered a 'lifer' hunting for a desk, foyer and a business card....equally not a good idea.

My experience shows that a run of 3-5 years is a good mid range stint and it shows a certain level of being a stable and reliable resource. Interesting thread so far!.... My two bits. BP

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Contract work is the current trend of the future now. They say by 2020....something like 40% of the N.American workforce will be employed this way and most indicators show thats the way its going. (note: the backstory on it is a really interesting conversation....LOL)

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I think the 'older generation', which is probably most of us (over 40? over 45? over 50?....LOL) will have to get used to the idea that the day and age of the stable 25 to 30 year job in one location with benefits, pensions, salary, 9 to 5....is pretty much over. The trick is to get a leg up and get with the new trend and simply outpace the pack and I agree with Avengers comments about working to build a successful network....that is what will pay off for her a little more in the long run.
One thing in getting 'with the trend' is to be strategic about when and how she moves around positions. Anyone who leaves jobs/positions too quick will be deemed unreliable and anyone who 'overstays their welcome' is considered a 'lifer' hunting for a desk, foyer and a business card....equally not a good idea.
My experience shows that a run of 3-5 years is a good mid range stint and it shows a certain level of being a stable and reliable resource. Interesting thread so far!.... My two bits. BP

couldn't agree more with this. except it's not always the old guys staying on....LOL

i'm pushing 50 and generally (except for one job) i move every 2-4. i love working comtract when it's available as I feel less expected to stay in one place.
when recruiters call and ask if I'm looking the answer is always "i'm always interested in hearing about an opportunity". I have an RV and I'm not afraid to use it LOL

funny everyone I work with here is younger than me and most have been here more than 5 years with no thoughts of leaving.

jkust

Rear Admiral
There's a lot to be said here. I tend to agree with the earlier comment about first jobs in your field and that the Masters it now hygiene in certain areas of the field. My wife and I are both in the health care field and quite honestly the best career fields to be in IMO. She is self-employed and I am not. She has made as little as 50k a year some years and as much as $1M in other years. We just get used to extreme income swings and the sometimes inconveniences of her working all hours of the day and night sometimes plus associated stress and uncertainty of where her next dollar will come from. I don't know how incestuous your wife's field is but in my side of health care, we know the job hoppers but the funny thing is they always move onward and upward sometimes to our disbelief. I would take the next best job that comes along and eventually she will land in her ideal position. It just doesn't happen as fast as you want it to sometimes. Sounds like you have steady employment and can smooth out the ups and downs. Bottom line is the health care industry is absolutely fantastic and I'm happy to hear she is involved.