landline 10 digit local dialing?

nwcove

Admiral
is 10 digit local dialing the norm nowadays??

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Is here. They converted a few years ago. I didn't/don't like it, but have become use to it. Where my house is we don't get real good cell service so that's not an option. A lot of people have dumped their landline.....

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
no way to dump the landline here....cell service is bad when its good. can ya hear me now?lol. i just figured out how to program the speed dial on my workshop cordless......after the third number, i have to push buttons more than ten times to dial!
i must be getting old.....when i was a kid, if you needed to talk to yer buddy, you headed to the wharf....yer buddy was always there or vice versa. ( a landline was for the wealthy). a few years later, a landline came to my house ..rotary phone......but you couldnt answer unless it was two short rings followed by a long then a short, then you had to be carefull that nosey mrs smith wasnt listening in. after that the rotary phone stayed, but we had are own secure line , 4 digit dialing! lol, i think we must have upgraded to the precursor to the cordless as it had a 20 foot spiral cord. sadly the cord tangled up so bad it was only about a foot long . things progressed quickly from there to touch tone and caller id etc etc.
are we going baclwards with technology? i should be able to just think about calling for a pizza.and it should happen.....shouldnt it? lol

dwco5051

Commander
I was in my teens in the 50's and we still had the phones that you just picked up and the operator would answer you with "Number Please" Only 3 digit numbers followed by R1 or R2 if a party line. A lot of times you didn't even need to know the number. Just answer with "Betty, can you call Mihalick's Garage or give me the Clover Farm Store." When I went away to school in 1957 they converted to rotary dial phones and were one of the first companies in the nation to have direct long distance dialing. I am still not sure which system was better.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i've been cell only for about 15 years and moved from home area code about 8 years ago and travel all the time covering 8 states for work and no office (work form home when not on the road) it is second nature for me.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can dial any # in my area code with just 7 digits.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
been 10 digits..actually 11 with "1" for years here.

Was going to get rid of my home phone but probably going to get Ooma so I can keep my home number.

angus63

Captain
Seven number dialing within your area code in lower NY State. So many new cell phone numbers being added that Long Island is adding a third area code next year. May need to dial 10 digits when that occurs.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I work on rural upgrades years back and it was interesting to see there where huge ranches way out in the bush that where still connected to the central office with open wire (think of telegraph lines). By the time we where finished they had fiber at the property line.

And I hated working on the electronic party lines, man could you get ZAPPED!!

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
been 10 digits..actually 11 with "1" for years here.

Was going to get rid of my home phone but probably going to get Ooma so I can keep my home number.

What part of California is 10 digit dialing? Never had to do it within an area code.

Glenn

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Los Angeles for sure. Probably most other areas. Since I always use a cell phone, it's always 10 digit.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We've had to dial ten digits for several years here in WV. It was a pain when it first started but after a while, you don't even think about it. It's just second nature now.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
10 digits beats the heck out of the 14 or 15 digits (international) that I dial on the regular basis. lol

We've been 10 digit since they added the second area code (410) area code back in 1991. We now have 5 overlapping active area codes. We have phones with 4 different area codes in our home alone. We went to 11 digit on land line sometime ago. Still 10 digital on cell.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
We've been 10 digit since they added the second area code (410) area code back in 1991. We now have 5 overlapping active area codes. We have phones with 4 different area codes in our home alone. We went to 11 digit on land line sometime ago. Still 10 digital on cell.
Yep, once they do an overlay of area codes, it happens.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Now that you can take your number over to IP based systems anywhere in North America it becomes a necessity to dial the routing number before the DID
(direct in dial)
Just think how many people have the same DID as you? 543-4567 for example. Back in the days of the analog switches (stepper switch) you could dial the last four as everyone in smaller centers all had the first 3 numbers, as the first 3 digits represented a town or area.