Grandkids & Fishing Rod retention

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My 3-1/2 and 4 year old Grandkids on occasion come fishing with me (with their parents) and I bought them their own fishing pole. When my kids were their age I tethered the poles to the boat for obvious reasons. I have a 20 foot boat and I just added 4 stainless steel bead chains 4 foot long each. One end of each chain is attached to the boat near each rod holder, the other end has an adjustable loop to attach (via a SS splicing link) to the base of the reel or pole. I purchased #10 SS bead chain, end couplings and splicing links that boast an 80 pound tensile strength. An alternate attachment to the rod/reel is via Velcro straps. When the chains are not in use, I drop the loose end down the rod holder to keep it off the deck. Now, if they let go of the rod – no problem. It makes for a relaxed fishing experience.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's a good tip, Nick. :thumb: It might even work for me. I don't mean the grandkids, I mean me. :D

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I found that if the chain is on the short side, when lifting the rod to feel bottom the sudden stop feels like a big hit. lol. I added 2 ft. of chain to the 4 ft. that I originally had to solve that problem. (The false hit was a lot of fun though. lol.)

Happy fishing.