Boy you get hurt at work and wonder what u gonna do later? Just a rant/question???

ezbtr

Commander
all good, walkin on one crutch at home, at times, back givin me issues, I have my wonderful girlfriend living with me, she so fun, my kids all great(she has none) , money and house fine, but geez guys I just turned 50, am told I cant go back to old job which is fine, healin slowly, what next?????? I gotta work at something but cant legally til case all done with workmans comp

southkogs

Staff member
Makes it the perfect time to try out a business idea you've always wanted to do. You're not really gonna' make any money quickly in a well done startup, so as long as you don't burn a lot of money it's a good time to start trying stuff.

foodfisher

Captain
If you're financially secure, this accident could be a gift. I'd start practicing early retirement.:D If you must "work", how about full time fishing for alien/invasive species and inventing tasty recipies for them.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Some accidents are a blessing in disguise. I was forced out of manual labor type,good paying work, and now do desk work. Had I not injured myself, I could still be destroying my body, as my brain stayed more or less untapped. Maybe this is a good time to make a list, and start thinking about the second chapter?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Getting shot, despite the physical issues involved was actually a good thing for me, I was able to fight and stay in the service to get my retirement, but I also did not have to go into the field anylonger and I used that to improve my lot in life, although I would not do it again, I would say, I am very happy with the direction my life has taken since it happened, I get to do things now, that I would have never dreamed of.

82rude

Rear Admiral
wait till your case is resolved you don't want to jeopardize it.as for after, well, follow your dreams .I retired at 54 years old and am fantastically wealthy.my wealth is measured in family and friends and that's all I care about !

rbh

Fleet Admiral
If you can get approval from the doc and your up for it, take a vacation and go somewhere.

ezbtr

Commander
Yeah I was thinking about the whole beating up your body thing(right shoulder still aches too) and even though I've been in IT for 29 years, this is the absoluetly most strenuous and dangerous gig I've had, but hey at 50 I sure don't need the rush or to prove anything to myself anymore, if you can do maritime IT, you can do any IT job. Am also thinking own business, but cant jeopardize this case currently, they already owe me lifetime medical on this injury, plus some sort of settlement, I may also move out of state and rent this place out (already appreciated 100K on paper in 1.5 yrs) , in a few years when son in college (3 yrs) so pricey in CA.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
something someone told me about IT. Learn it and you can apply to any field you want (this case was forestry) but IT is in EVERYTHING we do.

ezbtr

Commander
something someone told me about IT. Learn it and you can apply to any field you want (this case was forestry) but IT is in EVERYTHING we do.
absolutely!!!! :) I'm just not up for continual late hours, 12 hr days, crappy mgmt, after hours calls - I have a great life to live, kids, girlfriend, family - all the times I couldnt do family activities because of work, I missed so much, and such unsafe work practices, never again

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Actually IT is what I am doing now and I love it, but I do it on my terms, not their terms.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Some accidents are a blessing in disguise. I was forced out of manual labor type,good paying work, and now do desk work. Had I not injured myself, I could still be destroying my body, as my brain stayed more or less untapped. Maybe this is a good time to make a list, and start thinking about the second chapter?

Same here. was rebuilding machines for a living. wound up breaking my hand at home. couldn't work so wound up going to school and haven't looked back since.

no more scars, stitches etc from work realted stuff. it's not bad.

many states have programs to retrain you if you become injured at work and can't return to your field. check your local unemployment office.

ezbtr

Commander
Same here. was rebuilding machines for a living. wound up breaking my hand at home. couldn't work so wound up going to school and haven't looked back since. no more scars, stitches etc from work realted stuff. it's not bad. many states have programs to retrain you if you become injured at work and can't return to your field. check your local unemployment office.
What work do you do now?

agallant80

Commander
Dude if you are in IT then you are all set. There are so many remote jobs you can sit in your home office. Also if you don't want to be bothered after hours move out of the operations side of IT. There are many sales, account manager, support, architecture jobs in IT. Start poking around Dice and see what is out there. What are your current skills in IT? Where are you located?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
What work do you do now?

EZ I went to school for elec design. than a few years later went back for mech design. I work as a designer. I do mostly engine components and elec harnesses / i/o boxes for very large engines.

it is a great job. lots of jobs avail. I still miss working with my hands some days but this has definite benefits as well.

ezbtr

Commander
Dude if you are in IT then you are all set. There are so many remote jobs you can sit in your home office. Also if you don't want to be bothered after hours move out of the operations side of IT. There are many sales, account manager, support, architecture jobs in IT. Start poking around Dice and see what is out there. What are your current skills in IT? Where are you located?
Yup IT since I was 21, datacenters, al comm equip, operations, AS400, PC's servers , mid level mgmt, all equip for trucks, ships, wireless PC,s in trucks, AP's, you name it.
Yeah support would be fine, work from home, etc possibly. I'm in Pacheco, CA. bout 30 miles east from SF

ezbtr

Commander
EZ I went to school for elec design. than a few years later went back for mech design. I work as a designer. I do mostly engine components and elec harnesses / i/o boxes for very large engines.

it is a great job. lots of jobs avail. I still miss working with my hands some days but this has definite benefits as well.

how long school take? sounds interesting!!! where you live? My job is just so physically demanding, lotsa climbing, doc says I prob cant go back to that, but my girlfriend and family would kill me if I did :) Hey you can always do carpentry, home auto work with your hands a bit! :)

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander
Yup IT since I was 21, datacenters, al comm equip, operations, AS400, PC's servers , mid level mgmt, all equip for trucks, ships, wireless PC,s in trucks, AP's, you name it.
Yeah support would be fine, work from home, etc possibly. I'm in Pacheco, CA. bout 30 miles east from SF

When you are ready to return to the work force I would post your resume on Dice.com and let them find you. I have been in IT for 15 years and in the last 12 years or so I never applied for a job I just posted my resume and let them find me. I have worked my way up from help desk to managing a team of data management consultants for a $7Bn company. PM me your resume if you want me to take a look,

ezbtr

Commander
cant upload .doc or .txt files or PM you, dont think new site is ready yet??