Brothers American Road Trip.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Here is a story for all you boys and girls.
A brother (the lure manufacturer) has been right into hots rods, American muscle cars and trucks for 40+ years.
I ring him tonight (haven't spoken for maybe 4 months) and he tells me he and his wife have just returned from 3 months road trip across the USA.
Tells me at the LA Immigration, he was taken aside.
Q. "Sir, could you tell us why you are visiting Jasper in Indiana for 3 months".
A. "Since a kid I have always wanted to do a road trip across America, so I bought an 88 Silverado thru e-bay form a guy called Jeff in Jasper.We are going to pick it up and go for a long drive.
The immigrations guys eyes glazed over and he said "Welcome to America Sir".

I don't know where he flew to, but said they took a $200 taxi ride to 'Jeff's" place, and at the end of the trip, they and taxi driver could all understand each other.
And Jeff was nothing like he imagined from the telephone conversations, and he couldn't work out which lady it was that use to answer the phone and couldn't understand a word he said.

Went to Houston, then back to LA. (had I known, would have had him call an old mate of mine at Lone Star Rd).

Joined Rod Runs, went to car shows, travelled by the back roads, stayed in small towns, went to Fairs, had a brilliant time.
Said they had a problem with language tho - lot of people had trouble understanding their English. Got to the point where at some places they use to ask to fill the forms in themselves (like with the vehicle docs and insurance etc).

Had a great time and met a lot of very nice people.
He's home and the Truck leaves next week.

Cheers
Phillip

southkogs

Staff member
Glad he had a good trip. Next time he can time it a little different and come for the Woodward Dream Cruise (http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com) or the Great Race (http://www.greatrace.com). He'd have a great time at either of those.

Next time he wants an American Truck, we need to work some sort of a trade for one of the Ford Falcons. Can't get 'em over here.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I have a friend on another forum who comes over every other year with his wife and travels from LA to East Coast, up top and down low and back over usually 2-4 months meeting all his boat forum friends. Stayed with us their second trip. Great fun. I think last year he even hit Canada.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Glad he had a good trip. Next time he can time it a little different and come for the Woodward Dream Cruise (http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com) or the Great Race (http://www.greatrace.com). He'd have a great time at either of those.

Next time he wants an American Truck, we need to work some sort of a trade for one of the Ford Falcons. Can't get 'em over here.

Let me clarify your statement - did you say you may want a Ford Falcoon? - because, if you do, it can be arranged - very easily.
We drive on the right side of the road (not the wrong) so that will definitely make you unique, (especially when you are by yourself), plus Ford Australia is closing soon, so there won't be any more made.

Go to carsales.com.au and punch in Ford, and everything for sale is there.

Cheers
Phillip

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ Thanks Phil. I'm too big a cheapskate to go that far in getting one. They've just got some neat variations of that car. I have no clue as to how good they are.

I think I could deal with the "driving from the co-pilot seat." I've driven a couple of Brit cars over here. Mailboxes look a little closer than I'm used to. :eek:

Kiwi Phil

Commander
(
Hey Phil, do you guys call that a Driveabout?

Nope.

Kiwis call it a holiday, touring, or road-trip.

Aussie city people call it the same, while outback country people may call it a 'walkabout"

Walkabout refers to young aborigines going for a walk as part of a ritual, but the whities interpreted it as people just disappearing for long periods without telling anyone, so you term "driveabout" is pretty good. :lol:

(I cross the 2 countries. My 1st 40yrs were as a Kiwi, my last 27 as an Aussie)

Cheers
Phillip

Maclin

Admiral
I forgot the :lol: at the end of my post...

I work with a client in Australia, they come over here to Texas occasionally, we always have a good time.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Jasper,IN. Your brother was just an hour away from me.

Had he told me what he is up to T2T, I would have probably made mention of it here before he left. He is the brother that made those lures you got.
Have the proved 'ok' over there, or do your fish have 'different' tastes?

Oh! - you don't know a bloke called Jeff in Jasper do you - he sold an 88 Silverado a while back :laugh:

Cheers
Phillip

Tyme2fish

Commander
Kiwi Phil, I'm embarrassed to admit, but I've only fished with one of the lures your brother sent to me. They are just too beautiful for me to risk losing. I keep them on display. I'm sorry he and I didn't have the opportunity to meet.