Jalapeno plants and green catapillers

MRS

Commander
My jalapeno plants are being eaten by the green tomato worms not sure what real name they go by. Have pulled six off of them so far, is there any thing I can spray on the plants to keep them off that is not poison? They are real hot and spicy jalapenos and the first year the ants have not got them.... Thanks for any help.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Horn worms. Wife uses some organic stuff from home depot. Seems to be working

_P4H8665_TOMATO_HORNWORM.jpg

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is tomato/vegetable dust you can use right up to harvesting....

southkogs

Staff member
Put some diatomaceous earth at the base of each plant. That'll act as a barrier for them getting on the plants. From there, pick the existing ones off & "neutralize" them :laser:

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Try wormwood. It's an herb that tomato worms hate. You can get it as a powder that can be sprinkled on the leaves and the ground arounf your peppers. Next year plant some around your other plants.

MRS

Commander
Horn worms. Wife uses some organic stuff from home depot. Seems to be working

_P4H8665_TOMATO_HORNWORM.jpg

Yup that's them ugly suckers I will give the dish soap a try I have been pulling them off with pliers if they do not have there legs clamp on to the stems If they do have to cut the leaf off. Then I squeeze them with the pliers. :devilish: Thanks for the replies I did pull two more off this morning...

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Put some diatomaceous earth at the base of each plant. That'll act as a barrier for them getting on the plants. From there, pick the existing ones off & "neutralize" them :laser:

That works for slugs and other crawling insects as well...Pool places carry it.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
They completely stripped my ghost pepper plants last year. Used sevendust spray on plants. Which reminds me I should treat again.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
As some of you know, I am a commercial grower.
We have a bug-free growing area, but maybe once a year we will have a moth get into the area and get a small clump of caterpillars.
We have a can of household fly-insect spray. That makes them drop off immediately.
It is simple and very safe.

You need to get the culprits off immediately to stop further damage, then take preventative measures as discussed above.

As a side note - sent plant sample to lab 3 days after spraying just to see the results. Came back at I think 2,000th's of the legal limit for crop, so it is not a problem.

Cheers
Phillip

salty87

Commander
read up on Neem Oil. harmless to us but really messes with bugs. can get it at big box stores.

MRS

Commander
I will check it out worms are gone for now. But the dogs have eaten four jalapeños so far.

Last edited:

ehenry

Commander
Been using sevin on my garden for 30 plus years and the dogs too to keep the fleas at bay. I'm still standing and my health is excellent and the dogs lived long healthy lives as well. My tomatos, peppers and entire garden has a good does of sevin on it as I type this and guess what.......no horn worms!!