Wild turkeys in yard

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are wild turkeys- now 2 adults and 16-18 little ones - passing thru my yard. They make a stop at a mulberry tree ...

I thought the small ones would be fox food, but they can fly and they roost in trees...

Attachments

• photo203903.jpg
    photo203903.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo203904.jpg
    photo203904.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Looks like a nice fall feast in the making..

Nice to see them.. Saw a fawn yesterday the was 18" high at the very most, still full of spots.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like a nice fall feast in the making..

Nice to see them.. Saw a fawn yesterday the was 18" high at the very most, still full of spots.
Trouble with fawns is that they grow up to be a hooved rat - I have platoons of them :grumpy:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Saw 7 youngin's with ma tonite. Seeing a bunch of does too. Some with fawns and bunch w/o. Yet to see twins. Bucks are getting horns. Only saw 2 of them so far and it's bucks only this year due to the harsh winter.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Yep, turkeys used to be rare about 20 years ago in VT now they are everywhere!!!! Our bear population is also exploding however, out deer herd is still somewhat weak???

Last edited:

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep, turkeys used to be rare about 20 years ago in VT now they are everywhere!!!! Our bear population is also exploding however, out deer heard is still somewhat weak???

A year ago a bear raided our garbage - my daughter was taking dog out and saw it.
She worked for Fish & Wildlife a while ago and used to dart and tag bears.
Bears can take deer - and I wish they'd take more of them!!!!:lol:

aspeck

Staff member
Have a few flocks of fledgling turklets running around the area. Also a few fawns and a couple of potential wall hanger deer. We had 3 really nice buck last year, 2 almost identical 10 pointers (5x5's for you western guys and gals) and 1 12 pointer with a drop-tine. Beautiful deer. The 12'er had a 24 1/2 inch spread and the 10's were about 18/19 inches. All 3 were hit by cars. the 12 a few days before season and the 10's the week AFTER season! At least there gene pools are still alive!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Have a few flocks of fledgling turklets running around the area. Also a few fawns and a couple of potential wall hanger deer. We had 3 really nice buck last year, 2 almost identical 10 pointers (5x5's for you western guys and gals) and 1 12 pointer with a drop-tine. Beautiful deer. The 12'er had a 24 1/2 inch spread and the 10's were about 18/19 inches. All 3 were hit by cars. the 12 a few days before season and the 10's the week AFTER season! At least there gene pools are still alive!

The 12 will be on someones wall, maybe the 10's too....... Provided they were given a permit to keep them.....

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 12 will be on someones wall, maybe the 10's too....... Provided they were given a permit to keep them.....

In NJ, you tag a deer with your car, it's yours.... I'm thinking of getting an old pickup with a plow....:D

bassman284

Commander
Saw 7 youngin's with ma tonite. Seeing a bunch of does too. Some with fawns and bunch w/o. Yet to see twins. Bucks are getting horns. Only saw 2 of them so far and it's bucks only this year due to the harsh winter.
Last week I saw triplets crossing the road a few miles north of here. I think that's the fifth set I've seen in the last 20 years or so. We seem to have a fair number of twins around here. Must be the good diet.