Customer Service or lack of that I saw........

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
At 54 years young I think most of my generation was taught really well about manors and treating people as you would like to be treated. So is it "us" as parents that are missing this? I have no children, but can only guess just how hard it must be in today's world to train. I'm guessing it's more than just parents, I think the bar of expectations, is dramatically lower as well.

southkogs

Staff member
... All the more reason to treat your good employees right. That part of the equation seems to be largely lacking these days, too, and just adds to the problem.
"In the end, all business operations can be reduced to three words: people, product and profits. Unless you've got a good team, you can't do much with the other two." - Lee Iacocca.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
pony "I can give them all the tools and training in the world..."

Now hold them responsible!!!! If they can't handle it, too bad, find someone who can.
Don't feel bad about letting them go, if you did your job, they knew the job and expectations going in.

I grew up in a retail store and dad taught me well. Poor customer service in a retail business just doesn't make it.....ever.

aspeck

Staff member
At 54 years young I think most of my generation was taught really well about manors and treating people as you would like to be treated. So is it "us" as parents that are missing this? I have no children, but can only guess just how hard it must be in today's world to train. I'm guessing it's more than just parents, I think the bar of expectations, is dramatically lower as well.

My kids were certainly taught manors, and for the most part they got the message. My youngest is always getting compliments on her behavior and manners. The shocking thing is that what she is doing SHOULD be the norm and not the exception, IMHO. And yes, it is a daunting task, but one that can and should be done.

Yesterday I was in a store and the clerk, in her 50's probably, greeting me very warmly and was extremely nice. They had nothing that I was interested in on stock, but the manner that she conducted herself, answering questions, asking the questions that showed she was listening to me and trying her hardest to learn what I wanted and supply that want/need. I left telling my daughter and wife that when we are ready to buy, we have to give that lady a shot at selling! And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what good customer service should be. Not what Bob described in the opening post.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Bob.....sounds like you witnessed some pretty bad behavior.
Question: what was this guys demographic? (ie: age, etc?)
Also, this kind of behavior is extremely good news for anyone out there who is currently unemployed. The case being that if that kind of guy and behavior makes the employment cut....anyone with the slightest improvement in skills (and it sounds like it shouldn't take much) should be able to snag a job out there.

BP

Early fifties maybe? Wearing a company shirt. The only significant skill set for driving a fuel truck is a CDL with a Hazmat endorsement.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Early fifties maybe?
....thats good to know and shows that not all slackers and goof-offs are under the age of 35. My wife runs a garden centre in a nicer part of town and one of the most difficult demographics she has to deal with are people (mostly women) between the age of 55 and 65. They are very often rude, demanding, cheap and lacking in a boatload of positive communication skills. Perhaps their husbands are footing their 'life bills' but they are often a very disapointing bunch. Don't ever let people tell you that all of the 'older' generation somehow received all the courtesy and communication abilities seemingly missing in the millenials these days.
I'm a very patient guy and easy going guy with people as a general rule but I get very sharp and very direct when I am confronted with unwarranted bad manners or anything that remotely smells like unfair treatment of others or a sense of entitlement.
We (my wife and I) laugh at what it would be like if I was in charge of public communications within her business. There would be a sidewalk full of older people outside her door with with a bunch of sore backsides and stinging ears....LOL. Business might suffer....but everyone, including older people needs a good butt kickin' and talking too sometimes....LOL.
Thats not too say that the current generation (born since 1985) isn't a country mile behind where they need to be in terms of social responsibility and communication skills. I'm involved in some local work groups trying to drill down and figure this out within the scope of professional workplaces and it clearly lies with the worlds most elusive animal when it comes to taking responsibility for something negative relating to their resulting kids......the modern parent. I think I have yet to meet one parent...that isn't pretty sure that their kid or kids have anything to do with issues popping up in spades around increasingly bad behavior, manners and a near complete sense of missing responsibility to their community, neighbours and the public in general. Apparently their kids are in or near the top of everything, everywhere....from perfect manners, to great marks. As one of my colleagues said, if you want to know what a young person (kid, teenager, millenial) is like NEVER ask the parents. Ask a neighbour or a relative. They will give a substantially more honest take on the kid....but never ask or trust the Parent...they will not paint a correct picture.

My two bits
BP

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Customer service is a two way street. Run the customer service desk for an afternoon and expect to be disrespected and abused by your customers. Get a law suit slapped on you becouse you inadvertently Johnny cry while stocking shelves

southkogs

Staff member
Customer service is a two way street. Run the customer service desk for an afternoon and expect to be disrespected and abused by your customers. Get a law suit slapped on you becouse you inadvertently Johnny cry while stocking shelves
... contrary to popular mantras, the customer ain't always right.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, there are some "nut job/'whacko" customers. BUT, do you just write them off or try to find a solution?

The latest is to just write them all off as crazy.

It's a tough business. I've been in it for 30+ years. A kind word, not getting upset, will typically bring most (not all) around to the root cause of their issue(s). The same applies to something YOU WANT. Start yelling-GET NOTHING!

I've had countless folks work with me on getting something I WANTED simply because I treated them well. TRY IT!

If you don't have time for that, you need to look at your outlook on life.

bassman284

Commander
Weel, we've heard the grim view, here's something a little more positive. Earlier this afternoon I stopped by the local Fareway grocery store to pick up a few things for my sudden chili craving. I usually take one of the little baskets, but today got a cart because I needed 4 bags of softener salt. Picked up an onion and a bell pepper and headed on down the canned goods aisle. this 20ish year old kid is stocking shelves and asks me if he can help me find anything. I told him no, I'm doing OK. then he said, "Wow, I've never seen you with a cart before. Big shopping trip?" I told him I was getting salt and decided to get the cart ahead of time for a change. I headed back to the meat department, which is quite good with 8 to 10 meat cutters on duty ready to give you what you want, how you want it. I was advised that the $3.99 arm cut steak would be great in chili, spent about 5 minutes discussing chili recipes,

The little gal at the checkout lane has been there about 3 or 4 years I think and as of a month or two ago, still can't scan a bottle of wine. She checked to make sure I was able to find everything I needed and bagged it up. Then she called this other little gal over for carry out, she's maybe 5'4" on tiptoes and about 18-20, and she pushes the cart outside to the salt. I start helping her with the bags and she says, "that's OK sir, I've got it." She loads the bags and throws them in my Jeep and says, "I'd come along and help you carry them in but I don't think they'd let me." I told her not to worry because I needed the work anyway.

Thing is, I've been going to this store for almost 16 years and this is a typical trip. The kids change but the service doesn't. It's obviously their corporate culture and the kids are friendly and polite and clearly enjoy doing it. Oh yeah, they're closed on Sundays and holidays - without exception.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As a customer,I am actually providing a service to you'r establishment. Without customers,you would not have a business.If I'm treated badly by the crew,I tell the manager,and make sure not to return if nothing changes. As a worker,I treat customers with respect,even when they have issues,usually can get them calmed down and helped. Nothing better than the boss aproaching and tells you that a customer complemented you or your team for a job well done!

Pony

Rear Admiral
Yes, there are some "nut job/'whacko" customers. BUT, do you just write them off or try to find a solution?

The latest is to just write them all off as crazy.

It's a tough business. I've been in it for 30+ years. A kind word, not getting upset, will typically bring most (not all) around to the root cause of their issue(s). The same applies to something YOU WANT. Start yelling-GET NOTHING!

I've had countless folks work with me on getting something I WANTED simply because I treated them well. TRY IT!

If you don't have time for that, you need to look at your outlook on life.

I always try not to let the customer's attitude influence me. If they are yelling and screaming at me, I will still do what I can to help them.....IF they are upset at something my store/employees did wrong. If not, I do my best to listen and then calmly explain my point.

I have had numerous customers who were swearing and yelling come back in later or the next day and apologize for how they acted and thank me for how i handled the situation.