Customer Service or lack of that I saw........

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I witness some of the POOREST customer service today. I was helping a friend out doing some home repairs. I was hearing a "back up warning alarm" and a horn blowing for about 10 minutes. It was none of my business and I had to run out and get some parts.

Low and behold there is a propane truck in the driveway and I just stood there looking at the truck when the driver gets out and tells me to move my truck. Well perhaps in his feeble world people react and read his mind but not in mine. I said why not just come knock on the door and ask? He said that is why he was sitting there with his back up alarm and blowing his horn. I was pissed he was so arrogant and moved my SUV and returned inside. Now the FOOL does it again so the homeowner has to mover her car. There was enough room to drive a M1 Abrams tank past but that was not enough for a propane truck!!!

Then the driver almost backs into a third car ........ who past him on a driving test?

I will not respond like Pavlov's Dog to beeping and horn blowing. Those actions make me kind of pissed off. I am not a customer of (no company name to be revealed) Propane and that driver sealed the deal that I will never be one.

I did the right thing and contacted his office. It is not my job to teach him a lesson in customer service and I explained that to the General Manager. I wonder how many customer's they loose due to training shortfalls of drivers. I was told that the driver carries 125 feet of hose and if he had not been so arrogant and lazy the delivery could have been done without moving ANY vehicles.

Do a good job and 2 people get told, do a poor job and everyone get's told.

Bob_VT

Staff member
It's pretty rare that I publicly vent however, this one got me going today ;)

r.j.dawg

Ensign
I hear ya Bob. Seems the way it is now. Everyone in a big rush with no patients.
The two guys that run my loading docks run into this on a daily basis. Sad.

southkogs

Staff member
I was born at the tag end of the days when delivery drivers wore uniforms and were actually customer service representatives. I remember the butcher, baker and the rest were all small business guys that were a part of the community and had to give good customer service to stay alive. Not so much any longer.

Most people under 40 can't even deliver truly good customer service because they've never honestly seen it.

Crumby experience for sure Bob.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Horns are the worst, Bob. We live in the country and when the mailman(person) comes down the drive to leave a package that's too big for the box, she'll stop by the house and lay on the horn a few times. Really? You can't get out of the car and ring the doorbell? I refused to go out once and waited for her to come to the door. I think it's just rude to be honked at........

slag

Chief Petty Officer
I was born at the tag end of the days when delivery drivers wore uniforms and were actually customer service representatives. I remember the butcher, baker and the rest were all small business guys that were a part of the community and had to give good customer service to stay alive. Not so much any longer.

Most people under 40 can't even deliver truly good customer service because they've never honestly seen it.

Crumby experience for sure Bob.

I was just about to say something about your statement and then realized I am now 40..

Carry on!!

tpenfield

Staff member
This reminds me of my stint in a management position in the lumber business. . .

We often discussed the fact that the people within the company who have the most contact with the customers are the Truck Drivers. So, they were on the front lines of Customer Service. Not only were they delivering the product, but everything they said and did delivered a message.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure of the answer to this, I see it too. I do think this is trained behavior and not normal IMO. I have no idea where treating people as you would like to be treated went, but it's usually missing more than it's there. Sad thing is, the younger crowds that seem to be the biggest offenders are not seeing this note.You did good by calling and letting the company know, more of us should do that. I do it when I get good results too, that did happen this week with me and my mortgage company. I admit I was shocked.

Bob_VT

Staff member
It's all about treating people with some respect and acting cordial. Using all your finger's to wave because the business truck is a billboard. tpenfield is right, the drivers are the front line. When I was a Road Commissioner in a small town here in VT two things occurred all the time. People never see people working however, the second they stop at a store to get a drink or a sandwich, the entire town saw people stopped. I would tell my people we were Winter Hero's and Summer Zero's which holds true to this day in New England.

Bob_VT

Staff member
greenbush future you said the magic words, 'trained behavior"

It all boils down to a training problem and using integrity to do the right thing even when no one is looking.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Bob, maybe we should see if we can do a group buy of retired M-1's and next time something of this nature happens...........well you know what I am thinking!

:D

64osby

Admiral
Our propane company has great drivers and at least 150' of hose. I often have 4 or 5 vehicles, a few mowers or a few feet of snow blocking the tank. Drivers always are nice and never had an issue getting to the tank. In 18 years the only issue was the keep full program failed and we ran out. I called them at 5am at 6:30am we were filled back up.

Bob, sounds like that company driver might be looking at collecting unenjoyment sooner than later.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
This reminds me of my stint in a management position in the lumber business. . .

We often discussed the fact that the people within the company who have the most contact with the customers are the Truck Drivers. So, they were on the front lines of Customer Service. Not only were they delivering the product, but everything they said and did delivered a message.

we have 14,000 people out every day with a giant billboard (van) visiting at least 2 homes per day and that is 100% true

rj

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Horns are the worst, Bob. We live in the country and when the mailman(person) comes down the drive to leave a package that's too big for the box, she'll stop by the house and lay on the horn a few times. Really? You can't get out of the car and ring the doorbell? I refused to go out once and waited for her to come to the door. I think it's just rude to be honked at........

My mail lady is better. she backs down the driveway (heaven forbid she walk a bit) and drops the package on the porch, BUT leaves all the mail in the mailbox!!! WHY?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My mail lady is better. she backs down the driveway (heaven forbid she walk a bit) and drops the package on the porch, BUT leaves all the mail in the mailbox!!! WHY?
Well my mailman was so lazy one day, he drove in, got real close to the wife's Charger and put the mail down first and then a box "on top of the hood". He was a whole 10' from the front door. The same guy was taking a leak under the eave of my "attached" garage when I drove in unexpectedly. There was light rain, hence under the eave. He had no clue my wife was home........ And he signed for prescription drugs when people weren't home. Some of those people said they never received their drugs. He doesn't work for USPS anymore.........

Bigprairie1

Commander
Bob.....sounds like you witnessed some pretty bad behavior.
Question: what was this guys demographic? (ie: age, etc?)
Also, this kind of behavior is extremely good news for anyone out there who is currently unemployed. The case being that if that kind of guy and behavior makes the employment cut....anyone with the slightest improvement in skills (and it sounds like it shouldn't take much) should be able to snag a job out there.

BP

Pony

Rear Admiral
I hate t even comment on threads like this, but as a sales manager, most of my job feels like baby sitting. The problem I see is that most of the 18 to 25 year olds that I employ just don't care about anyone but themselves. I can give them all the tools and training in the world....even send them all to a 4 day class where all they do is learn how to interact with customers...and if they choose not to use what they have "learned" its completely useless.

The fact is we live in a world of entitlements. These employees that deliver bad customer service usually feel they are entitled to a job. When you feel that way, you don't work as hard, and you certainly don't pay attention to how everything you say and do reflects back to the company. This is the same reason why everyone calls into work with the sniffles or a slight headache or just make something up. It seems like their commitment to the company, job, and work is the last thing they care about. I had an employee call in yesterday because he "had too much to do". What?? Its a constant battle of no good quality applicants and if you get rid of the bad workers are you just going to replace them with another and still have to spend the $ on hiring and training, or more importantly can I make a schedule and have people on the floor to take care of the customers (even if its not as well as it should be) if I get rid of someone?

NYBo

Admiral
I hate t even comment on threads like this, but as a sales manager, most of my job feels like baby sitting. The problem I see is that most of the 18 to 25 year olds that I employ just don't care about anyone but themselves. I can give them all the tools and training in the world....even send them all to a 4 day class where all they do is learn how to interact with customers...and if they choose not to use what they have "learned" its completely useless.

The fact is we live in a world of entitlements. These employees that deliver bad customer service usually feel they are entitled to a job. When you feel that way, you don't work as hard, and you certainly don't pay attention to how everything you say and do reflects back to the company. This is the same reason why everyone calls into work with the sniffles or a slight headache or just make something up. It seems like their commitment to the company, job, and work is the last thing they care about. I had an employee call in yesterday because he "had too much to do". What?? Its a constant battle of no good quality applicants and if you get rid of the bad workers are you just going to replace them with another and still have to spend the $ on hiring and training, or more importantly can I make a schedule and have people on the floor to take care of the customers (even if its not as well as it should be) if I get rid of someone?
Yes, it's a vicious cycle. All the more reason to treat your good employees right. That part of the equation seems to be largely lacking these days, too, and just adds to the problem.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is FAR TOO often forgotten. Your "entry level" employee can sink your reputation.

I remember my mother telling me that if I ever went to a girls house and blew the horn to pick her up, she would personally see that I ceased to live!

Last edited: