Raise a glass this weekend ...

southkogs

Staff member
To friends who have gone on before us to glassy seas and fairer winds.

I don't care to live in the past and wallow in loss. But I do enjoy fine memories of good friends. Don's not the only one who's gone before us, but he's who I knew best. This weekend as you're enjoying the water, family and friends raise a toast to those who have passed. Be they all blessed in the Almighty's good care and now Captains in His finest fleet!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I will start early Hear! Hear! Cheers.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
tashasdaddy is the one I always think of when I think of those who have gone. always ready to lend a hand.

here's to all the ones who have gone.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
We have lost many great people here :( Don, Bob (Tashasdaddy), Lester (SBN Spinner Bait Nut) and actually many many more. It's kind to think of them and I know they are still lurking from above. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner
Nice thread. Thanks. I miss Don a lot!! We used to say "What would Spinner do?" in the Mod discussions as SBN (Spinner) was a very level head and just seemed to have a way of settling things down. Miss him a lot too.

64osby

Admiral
Nice post, I will gladly toast the wisdom, humor and sometimes harsh truth of those who have past.

At trout camp we have a tradition of passing a cheap bottle of whatever and drinking to those who have left the earthly world. It always brings back some great stories with joy and laughter.

MikDee

Banned
Before I left on my 3yr hiatus to get my life together after the wife walked out, I knew of Don, Tashaddy, and Spinner Bait Nut. All good people, & knowledgeable, I miss them myself. Here, here, I'll lift a glass to them this wknd! ;)

NYBo

Admiral
A laudable sentiment, and I will certainly join in the salute. I'm curious, though. Is there something in particular about this weekend? An anniversary, perhaps?

EDIT: I see that today is the one-year anniversary of Don's passing.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A salute to all who have passed over to the Big Forum.

southkogs

Staff member
... I see that today is the one-year anniversary of Don's passing.
Yeah, I ran across a few things in the last couple of weeks that brought him to mind. I was playing around with some illustration stuff that he and I goofed around with together a little, and got to thinkin' about him. I knew there were others that I didn't know and thought that they all probably deserved an occasional "I remember that guy!"

achris

More fish than mountain goat
A glass of the best, for the best... Miss all you guys (Don, Bob, Lester)...

R.I.P.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
I joined shortly after Lester passed so sadly had no interaction with him.. But Don....well he was the first to reply to my newbie post of using a car starter on a pos tub (rotten barge he called it I think) and as I learned and became regular, I saw his posts become friendlier yet straight to the point. I miss his crass and his class. Bob G. (Tashasdaddy) well I did have the pleasure of meeting him and helping plan a Florida Iboats get together. Scruffy, cheap cigarillo smoking SOB and I immediately liked him. Been almost 5 years I think since he passed, doesn't seem like it.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Bob doing what he loved
E15C2AF5-B21E-42BA-9B52-0A891C944563_zpsapsfuqk1.jpg

aspeck

Staff member
External Combustion was another member who loved boating and steam engines. The boats he made with his steam engines were amazing. He wanted to do the loop in his steam powered water vessel, but his health delayed the trip and he passed away around Christmas, 2008, I believe. Yep, we have lost a lot of friends on iboats over the years. rondi was another one who was a member for 2 years, didn't post a whole lot, but when cancer got him, it was felt by most of us. Not sure what happened to Canada Bob, I was emailing with him, but he had cancer that came back and one day, no more emails or posts on iboats. No confirmation of anything, but I can only assume.

Death is the great equalizer. We all have to face it one day or another, and that is why it is important to prioritize what is expedient and what doesn't matter so much in the scheme of life. Love the ones that are around you. Do good to others. Make sure your affairs are in order and your life is right with your maker. These are the things that are most important. The rest is gravy.

And don't forget to appreciate the ones you have in your life. I am grateful to all of you. In a way you all help to enrich my life. Your participation here on this forum means a lot to me and to others. Not from an economical basis, but friendships are developed. I have enjoyed meeting EVERY member I have had the opportunity of meeting. Each has been special and unique, and proved to be even greater than their iboats persona. To every moderator and Administrator I have talked to, interacted with, etc., thank you, your a bunch of class people and I am proud to call everyone of you my friend. To each of you members - my friends, I say, "Thanks for being a part of my life."

Okay, done being sappy now. But being reminded of what we lost made me want to thank each of you for what we have ...

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Glasses where raised last night on the boat in respect to the passed on.