Ok . . . Stop calling my boat a "tinny"

Expidia

Commander
Whenever I see a poster calling an "aluminum" boat . . . a tinny, it always rubs me the wrong way :mad-new:

I know its always from the same Folk who still use words like:

They don't wear Jeans, they wear "Dungarees"
They keep their beer in an "ice box" not a refrigerator (probably still have block ice delivered by the Iceman.
When is rains they put on their "Galoshes" not their rain boots.
And when they take a trip, they grab their "Valise" not their suitcase.
And to them my sleek, artfully designed aluminum rig is . . . still a Tinny.

For them, here is a link to the difference between "tin and "aluminum"

http://www.ehow.com/info_8596036_difference-between-aluminum-tin-can.html

Please file that word "Tinny" in your Dungaree drawer and address any aluminum boat with the proper King's English . . . It's an "aluminum" boat ;) :grumpy: :D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Ain't going to happy, get used to it, the aluminum boats have always been called a "tinny" Even Mirror craft calls their boats "tinny's" Just got an email from the manger of their company and he called my '68 Mirror craft a tinny.

By the way, we don't speak "The Kings English" in the US.

Last edited:

RustyC

Seaman Apprentice
Well I think most Navy destroyers are made of steel, but they are still called tin can sailors.
Lighten up Francis. :smug:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
we could call them beer can boats and refer to fiberglass as Tupperware boats if you would like. The UK has been calling fiberglass boats tupperware since the invention of tupperware

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We've had glasser vs....ahem.....tinny threads many times. The conclusion was always, well there never was one. But now dissension within the ranks of the better half - I don't know to handle it because we've always demonstrated unity. I'm going to go mope in my signature tin can. :Cry:

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
Whenever I see a poster calling an "aluminum" boat . . . a tinny, it always rubs me the wrong way :mad-new:

I know its always from the same Folk who still use words like:

They don't wear Jeans, they wear "Dungarees"
They keep their beer in an "ice box" not a refrigerator (probably still have block ice delivered by the Iceman.
When is rains they put on their "Galoshes" not their rain boots.
And when they take a trip, they grab their "Valise" not their suitcase.
And to them my sleek, artfully designed aluminum rig is . . . still a Tinny..............Please file that word "Tinny" in your Dungaree drawer and address any aluminum boat with the proper King's English . . . It's an "aluminum" boat ;) :grumpy: :D

I've referred to everyone of the three aluminum boats I've owned as a tinny, but:
The only time I've ever worn dungarees was when I was in the navy more than 55 years ago. Today I wear jeans or khakis.
At home I keep my beer in the refrigerator. On the boat it goes in the cooler AKA the ice box.
It so seldom rains here that I don't own either galoshes or rain boots. I used to have a pair of rubber boots but they eventually went to hell from age, not from usage.
I generally don't use either a valise or a suitcase, I have a duffle bag that works well for me.
If we really wanted to use the King's English wouldn't we spell it aluminIUM and pronounce it something like Al you minnie um?

thumpar

Admiral
I've referred to everyone of the three aluminum boats I've owned as a tinny, but:
The only time I've ever worn dungarees was when I was in the navy more than 55 years ago. Today I wear jeans or khakis.
At home I keep my beer in the refrigerator. On the boat it goes in the cooler AKA the ice box.
It so seldom rains here that I don't own either galoshes or rain boots. I used to have a pair of rubber boots but they eventually went to hell from age, not from usage.
I generally don't use either a valise or a suitcase, I have a duffle bag that works well for me.
If we really wanted to use the King's English wouldn't we spell it aluminIUM and pronounce it something like Al you minnie um?
I was thinking the same thing. I am not that old (36) and still call them a tinny. I have no idea what a valise is.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Expedia, I bet those fiberglass guys call our boats tinny's because they can't spell aluminum......... They probably call their boats 'glass, because, well, you know.....:laugh: Just a little humor. I'm sure very little.......:) By the way, I've never heard them called a tinny until joining this forum. Maybe it''s a regional thing....

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner
We can't say aluminum either, just asks the Brits and Aussies...

My whole family affectionately calls our 14 foot aluminum "The Tinny". Badge of honor at my house and she is the smallest ride we've got.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If God had intended boats to be made of fiberglas he would have created fiberglas trees.

We have a 'glass boat because they don't make wooden ones any more (or at least not one i can afford)

Our aluminium boat is just called a "toy boat" because its not the real thing.

Our "real boat" is wood and that's why its named after Grandma and Great-Grandma.

I also never heard of tinny until this forum...

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
....I think it's the "Queen's English" these days....;)
By the way, we don't speak "The Kings English" in the US
No argument there.... :)

Last edited:

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
I sometimes refer to my boat as a tinny and sometimes as an aluminum boat depending on the circumstances and who I am talking to.

This whole discussion led me to remember a rather large aluminum cabin cruiser I saw one time named "Tin Man's Wet Dream". Someone who purported to know the owner told me he was a field rep for some company that manufactured aluminum boats. Never did know whether that was true or not.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Never seen an aluminum tree....

Just for you RNJ :lol:

aluminum-christmas-tree-prelit.jpg