a question for members who do the "backyard smoking" of FOOD! lol

nwcove

Admiral
have any of you smoker fans tried smoking mussels in the shell? ......and to the comedians.....i know .....they are hard to light, and will bite yer lips if lit from the wrong end! lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have not, due to the fact, I am not fond of mussels, but I believe I have some recipes around here for them.

nwcove

Admiral
plz share! i was thinking just as basic as it gets......mussels in the shell....smoke at 220 till they open and eat? or ???

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Shell fish in the shell has to be one of the hardest things to smoke, while I have done the sea food on the fire pit years back (DAMN GOOD) out Dartmouth way, the idea of in the shell smoking does make me think, HMMM.

But I would give your left nut for a "GREAT" feed of smoked Halibut in a creamy dill sauce!. OH YUM

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What type of smoker do you have and will it maintain a constant temperature? If not, it is not advisable to do mussels in the shell, they have to attain a certain temp to make the shell open and allow the smoke cure to get in.

nwcove

Admiral
What type of smoker do you have and will it maintain a constant temperature? If not, it is not advisable to do mussels in the shell, they have to attain a certain temp to make the shell open and allow the smoke cure to get in.

i have a bradley, so its quite easy to maintain a temp of 220 or above.

nwcove

Admiral
Shell fish in the shell has to be one of the hardest things to smoke, while I have done the sea food on the fire pit years back (DAMN GOOD) out Dartmouth way, the idea of in the shell smoking does make me think, HMMM.

But I would give your left nut for a "GREAT" feed of smoked Halibut in a creamy dill sauce!. OH YUM
lol.....have never tried smoked halibut.....but if it involves me loosing a nut....i will pass!!!!:eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
NW, take a look at the Smoke House Products website, they have some great ideas about smoking and also have a .pdf book you can download on smoking various meats, I grew up the kids of the guy who started this company:

http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/