Bought a smoker over winter.....

Pony

Rear Admiral
Anyone have any good smoker recipes??

So far I have done pork ribs a few times, and Easter ham...and some Lake Michigan Salmon.

IMG_165051122871993.jpegIMG_165043301708905.jpegIMG952014042995155225696.jpg10177377_232824263573876_5008432446632609588_n.jpg

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: Bought a smoker over winter.....

Pony, I'm an avid smoker (I have two, one Cooker/Warmer converted to a smoker and a custom built computer controlled SS hospital cabinet conversion). I can literally smoke about 400lbs of meat at one time! I have smoked many briskets, ribs, pork butts, salmon, hundreds of pounds of almonds, peppers (chipotles), beef sticks, jerky...anyway, I digress there are two amazing websites that will hook you up with tons of ideas, recipes...

SmokingMeatForums.com - Smoker and smoking meat forums and reviews

ww.amazingribs.com

I'll pop back in later and share a few of my recipes and how I roll...simple is the key S,P,O and G.

Cheers,

~Brett
photo 4-7.jpgBeef Sticks 3 .jpgChicken Legs Buffalo Style.jpgChicken Legs Buffalo Style.jpg
Atomic Buffalo Turds (crowd favorite)
photo 7.jpg

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I admit it
I'm a smoke-aholic

Try smoking a Turkey.
Once you put a turkey on the smoker.
You won't want it any other way

image.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And I thought you meant a new to you 2 stroke! ::facepalm:

All those pics up there are making me hungry! Cornish Game hens turn out great. Let's face it, anything smoked is wonderful. :D

sangerwaker

Commander

LOVE the amazing ribs website. Everything I have tried from there has been awesome. I highly recommend it.

bajaunderground, your atomic buffalo turds look similar to one of my favorites. We use a pepper rack, like this:

http://www.4thegrill.com/images/products/cog3100.jpg

Cut off the stem end of a jalapeno and core all of the inards out. Cut a small x in the tip of the pepper. This is critical or all of the oils run there during cooking and collect in the pepper tip. Smoke for an hour or so on fairly low temp (180-200) in the pepper rack. We like them extra done and smokey and cook for up to 2 hours, but see what you like. Take 'em out of the smoker and fill with your favorite shredded cheese and bacon bits. Put em back in the smoker for another 45 minutes or so. Delicous.

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

LOVE the amazing ribs website. Everything I have tried from there has been awesome. I highly recommend it.

bajaunderground, your atomic buffalo turds look similar to one of my favorites. We use a pepper rack, like this:

http://www.4thegrill.com/images/products/cog3100.jpg

Cut off the stem end of a jalapeno and core all of the inards out. Cut a small x in the tip of the pepper. This is critical or all of the oils run there during cooking and collect in the pepper tip. Smoke for an hour or so on fairly low temp (180-200) in the pepper rack. We like them extra done and smokey and cook for up to 2 hours, but see what you like. Take 'em out of the smoker and fill with your favorite shredded cheese and bacon bits. Put em back in the smoker for another 45 minutes or so. Delicous.

I use jalapeno/fresno peppers, Take one 8oz package of cream cheese, mix in 1/2c of shredded cheddar and 2tsp of Chipotle (I use my homemade chipotle) Red Jalapeno Jar.jpg mix together. wash, de-stem and half jalape?o peppers, stuff full of cream cheese mixture, replace the half, wrap in bacon (I cut mine in half the long way) and smoke at 225˚ for about 2 hours...the best appetizer.

One of my favorites:

Pulled pork.

5-6lb pork butt

cut off fat to leave approx 1/4" of fat (where located)

cover in EVOO

Rub:
1C brown sugar
1TBSP salt (I use sea salt)
1tsp pepper
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp paprika

Finishing Sauce:
1C of Apple Cider vinegar
1/4C Brown sugar
2TBSP of red pepper flakes.

Rub rub all over butt. Place in fridge for 2-3 hours.

Place on smoker rack at 225˚ for 1:45-2:00hours/lb. I go until the butt hits an IT (internal temp) of 195˚, pull wrap in foil for about 2 hours. Place in pan, shred, add finishing sauce. Serve with cheap coleslaw, on cheaper hamburger buns with some homemade BBQ sauce...to taste.

Some of my Babyback Ribs
BBribs.jpg

Smoked Turkey for Thanksgiving 2013
Smoked Turkey 2013.jpg

Here's a pic of some Andouille sausage I made...started with 5lbs of pork butt, ground and stuffed, cured and smoked..made the best Gumbo this side of Cajun Country.
900x900px-LL-525fd1a7_DSCN1633.jpg

If you don't have a good thermometer, these are the top of the line. Thermapens, instant read thermometer.
Thermapen.jpg

Pony

Rear Admiral

Never even considered smoking peppers.....now I must try it !!

I did a beer can chicken in the smoker today.....this week might make some venison hot sticks.

nwcove

Admiral

i just took up smoking with a bradley smoker. first try was ribs....went ok, but made a mistake by closing the vent thinking it would help keep the temp up. next try was cold smoked salmon...it went well, but still a temp issue. third try was salmon again....with a home made cold smoke adapter.....perfect results. seems like a fun hobby!!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

nwcove...lox should be your signature smoked item being from Nova Scotia!! Try some smoked cheese..vacuum pack 'em and let 'em age...cold smoking them below 100degF.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

One big mistake many people that barbeque make is to smoke their meat too much. The best flavors come at the first couple of hours that meat's being smoked.

I'm a believer in the recipes and instructions found in AmazingRibs.com It's simply the definitive website for smoking, barbeque, equipment and everything to do with outdoor cooking.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I was just rummaging through my freezer for stuff to smoke this week when I have a day off of work. I found a 1/2 a whole Sirloin.....anyone smoked that before? tips?

nwcove

Admiral

nwcove...lox should be your signature smoked item being from Nova Scotia!! Try some smoked cheese..vacuum pack 'em and let 'em age...cold smoking them below 100degF.

i think lox is what im basically doing with the salmon.....i tried some of on fancy crackers with onion and chive cream cheese....and yum!!!
what type of cheese is typically smoked? with my mini-fridge cold smoke adapter i can keep the temp around 60deg....or is that to cold?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I usually use the "Magic Dust" rub after a mustard rub

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have a smoker, but use charcoal and green wild cherry wood. Fresh cut it smells like candy....
I'm getting hungry....:lol:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I was just rummaging through my freezer for stuff to smoke this week when I have a day off of work. I found a 1/2 a whole Sirloin.....anyone smoked that before? tips?

Honestly, I think that would be a waste of a good sirloin. Smoking was originally conceived as a way to make low quality cuts palatable. Of course it's evolved into much more than that (thankfully:hungry:), but IMO sirloin is too lean for the smoker.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

i think lox is what im basically doing with the salmon.....i tried some of on fancy crackers with onion and chive cream cheese....and yum!!!
what type of cheese is typically smoked? with my mini-fridge cold smoke adapter i can keep the temp around 60deg....or is that to cold?

Mozzarella
Cheddar
Cream cheese

They only need to smoke for a few hours and 60˚ is perfect!

Pony

Rear Admiral

Honestly, I think that would be a waste of a good sirloin. Smoking was originally conceived as a way to make low quality cuts palatable. Of course it's evolved into much more than that (thankfully:hungry:), but IMO sirloin is too lean for the smoker.

I thought about that too.....but I have seen a few articles out there that suggest a smoked sirloin can be great. The sirloin I have actually has a little marbling and doesn't seem excessively lean.

My thought was to smoke it low for just a couple hours and sear it nice and hot and quick on the grill to keep it medium/medium rare

Pony

Rear Admiral

Made some venison hot sticks yesterday. Wonder how many people still have and use these old cast iron stuffers. Not sure how old mine is, buts its been in the family forever. Only date stamp is from a patent in the 1860's.

10151794_10101895079502548_3643005338086033298_n.jpg10336687_10101895474780408_4800893982606001719_n.jpg