Told I cant get rid of PMI til 34K more or 3 yrs on FHA loan?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: Told I cant get rid of PMI til 34K more or 3 yrs on FHA loan?

here is Wells Fargo's reply

In reviewing your account, I find that you do not pay private mortgage
insurance (PMI), but rather a different type of mortgage insurance known
as mortgage insurance premiums (MIP). While we are unable to provide the
mortgage insurance deletion requirements via email, I am happy to report
that a letter detailing this information has been sent to your mailing
address of record. Please allow up to 10 business days for receipt. I
regret any inconvenience this delay may cause.

what is the difference in MIP?

MIP is the same thing as PMI, but rather than being backed by a "private" insurance company (Conventional type loans), your loan is backed by FHA. To even make it more confusing if you have a VA loan, they don't require mortgage insurance (MIP or PMI)...they "guarantee the loan". Which to a lender means roughly same thing, but it's just what it's called!?

FHA requires an up front premium (~1.5%) for using their product and a monthly fee. Conventional loans only require a monthly PMI fee (based on down payment, L-T-V and risk factors). VA has a "funding fee" they charge up=front (it changes, but first time use is 2.5% of loan amount added to the loan, no monthly fee. If a disabled veteran it can be waived? Subsequent use the fee increases to ~3.8% all depends on if you want to put any money down?)

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

here is Wells Fargo's reply

In reviewing your account, I find that you do not pay private mortgage
insurance (PMI), but rather a different type of mortgage insurance known
as mortgage insurance premiums (MIP). While we are unable to provide the
mortgage insurance deletion requirements via email, I am happy to report
that a letter detailing this information has been sent to your mailing
address of record. Please allow up to 10 business days for receipt. I
regret any inconvenience this delay may cause.

what is the difference in MIP?

PMI and MIP: Understanding Mortgage Insurance

thumpar

Admiral

I will be going through trying to get PMI dropped next month. We have a conventional loan and when signing were told it is required for at least 2 years. A friend of mine who recently was doing mortgage loans told me I can either refinance or talk to the lender and see what they require to get it dropped. At 3.5% I don't want to refinance to get a higher rate and closing costs on top. We closed 2 years ago from tomorrow and will be working on it at the start of the month.

ezbtr

Commander

I go this from Wells Fargo, a shortened version for my FHA loan - " Protects investor in case of default, minimum 5 years, expires when loan equals 78% LTV ratio/$166K, current principal balance is $201K, a new appraisal WILL NOT be taken into consideration", if I want to send a check for 34K, that WILL get rid of PMI, but hey then less of a tax write off, correct?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I go this from Wells Fargo, a shortened version for my FHA loan - " Protects investor in case of default, minimum 5 years, expires when loan equals 78% LTV ratio/$166K, current principal balance is $201K, a new appraisal WILL NOT be taken into consideration", if I want to send a check for 34K, that WILL get rid of PMI, but hey then less of a tax write off, correct?
Then you should crunch the numbers and refi with a conventional loan if it saves you money.

ezbtr

Commander

Then you should crunch the numbers and refi with a conventional loan if it saves you money.

did try a while back, nothing there to help me at my rate 3.5%

tpenfield

Staff member

Years ago, I was able to wiggle out of PMI after a few years, mostly because we were close to 20% down when we originally financed.

your best bet would be to re-finance as that will 'reset' your loan-to-value with the new financing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

oops, $210 a month PMI
So basically it is 1%, and a 4.5% conventional loan is the break even point. Anything lower and you save money.

ezbtr

Commander

So basically it is 1%, and a 4.5% conventional loan is the break even point. Anything lower and you save money.

I could refi at 4.3% get rid of PMI and save $90 a month, but will be more expensive over the period of the total loan, you can't get 3.5% locked at 30 years anymore ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I could refi at 4.3% get rid of PMI and save $90 a month, but will be more expensive over the period of the total loan, you can't get 3.5% locked at 30 years anymore ;)
Yep. Many variables. If you are actually thinking about leaving like your other thread said, it would be worth doing a no cost refi and sell your house in 3 or 4 years. If you were staying longer, then you should keep this loan and get the MIP knocked off the earliest you can.

ezbtr

Commander

Yep. Many variables. If you are actually thinking about leaving like your other thread said, it would be worth doing a no cost refi and sell your house in 3 or 4 years. If you were staying longer, then you should keep this loan and get the MIP knocked off the earliest you can.

plan is to keep place, maybe move depending on work and son when he is 18 (2.75 yrs), rent out (currently would be $1800 - 2000 a month) buy lots cheaper place where cost of living is a whole lot less, TX, LA, NC, etc

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Schnikies!

And I thought I was getting hosed years ago by paying $90 for PMI.
May be similar to what you were paying. Basically, it's 1%.

fishrdan

Admiral

May be similar to what you were paying. Basically, it's 1%.

.... LOL Yep!

It was 1%,,, of 90K :D

Paid PMI for something like 2 years and refied to get rid of it. But I guess that was back in the good ol' days (bad ol' days?) when they would let anything fly.

thumpar

Admiral

I just talked with my broker. She said the law recently changed. For FHA you can never drop it and on conventional it is 11 years required. I am not sure how recent that changed but she said we got in before the change. She is going to get a market analysis for us to see if we can try to get it dropped.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I just talked with my broker. She said the law recently changed. For FHA you can never drop it and on conventional it is 11 years required. I am not sure how recent that changed but she said we got in before the change. She is going to get a market analysis for us to see if we can try to get it dropped.
June 3, 2013 is the deadline from what I understand.