Sink hole in Corvette Museum

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Sink hole in Corvette Museum

Ouch! If it had to happen, glad it was when it was and no one was around any of the cars. Sad to see so many Vettes drop to such an unceremonious death! :eek::blue:

nlain

Commander

I was there some years ago, that area could have had a lot of people on it when it fell in. you could walk in between the cars, could have been really bad. It was a really neat place.

southkogs

Staff member

... one part that really stinks is that several cars that went down were on loan to the museum from private owners. :faint2:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

OMG somebody is going to be POed! Such a huge lost of really nice automobiles... Insurance will pay off but never replace them! :blue:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

... one part that really stinks is that several cars that went down were on loan to the museum from private owners. :faint2:

The press release says only 2 cars on loan from GM were lost...the other 6 were owned by the museum...but boy wouldn't that have sucked?

I'm sure they'll pull 'em out and restore 'em...that's what the members here on iboats would do...am I wrong?

nwcove

Admiral

It is with heavy hearts that we report that eight Corvettes were affected by this incident. Those cars include:

1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
2009 ZR1 “Blue Devil” on loan from General Motors
The other six vehicles were owned by the National Corvette Museum including:

1962 Black Corvette
1984 PPG Pace Car
1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette
None of the cars affected were on loan from individuals. (quote from article)

did more info come in after the news release? bad enough that those cars are all but lost, if a private collector lost his rare car, that would really suck.

southkogs

Staff member

It is with heavy hearts that we report that eight Corvettes were affected by this incident. Those cars include:

1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
2009 ZR1 “Blue Devil” on loan from General Motors
The other six vehicles were owned by the National Corvette Museum including:

1962 Black Corvette
1984 PPG Pace Car
1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette
None of the cars affected were on loan from individuals. (quote from article)

did more info come in after the news release? bad enough that those cars are all but lost, if a private collector lost his rare car, that would really suck.
I was under the impression they were privately owned, particularly the Blue Devil. That was a radio story, so someone got that wrong and consequently I went with it.

Don't think anyone has figured out what is recoverable yet either, though what I read tonight says there are clubs ready to help put the damaged ones back together.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's going to be an interesting story to follow. I wonder if they find out this was an underground water/sewer main that had been leaking for ages and finally the earth could hold no more water...or if this was a natural phenomenon like what happened to that poor fellow Jeff Bush in Florida last year.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

It's going to be an interesting story to follow. I wonder if they find out this was an underground water/sewer main that had been leaking for ages and finally the earth could hold no more water...or if this was a natural phenomenon like what happened to that poor fellow Jeff Bush in Florida last year.
More likely the latter - sink holes aren't "regular" down in this area, but the cave systems under Southern KY and Middle TN are actually pretty staggering. That means you have a lot of areas where if one rock (and no kidding, Nashville is sittin' pretty much on one BIG rock) let's go, you get a big deep hole.

southkogs

Staff member

A friend sent THIS link today ... first few seconds is the security camera footage.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Im sure if they don't restore them, they will be donor drive lines for street rods :D