Outdoor kitchen with concrete counter tops

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've been working on my outdoor kitchen project for the past few months, and totally neglecting my boating activities. Boat broke today. First time out on the water this year. Typical.

I built the cabinets out of some free kiln-dried pressure treated 1x4's given to me by a contractor buddy. I stained the wood with Cabot Australian Timber Oil (Jarrah Brown). It is a very durable exterior finish. I've used it on many outdoor wood structures.

The counter tops were poured-in-place using Z-counterforms and Quikrete Countertop Mix. I initially tinted them using a denim Z-aquatint, but it turned out more green than blue. We couldn't live with the 80's green color, nor could I hide it with a darker stain. I had to re-grind with 50 grit diamond pads down to grey, then restain using a Valspar acid stain--coffee color.

The result was very nice. The denim tint held up in the pores and holes, giving the effect of jade embedded in the concrete. I got cracks in the expected places, but no biggie.

IMG_1149.jpgIMG_1150.jpgIMG_1151.jpgIMG_1255.jpg

natemoore

Re: Outdoor kitchen with concrete counter tops

Note to self: next time, cast a square of concrete when I pour the counter tops, then test the stain on the sample before staining the entire top.

tn_IMG_1256.JPGtn_IMG_1257.JPGtn_IMG_1261.JPGtn_IMG_1273.JPG

colbyt

Even with what you consider a boo boo it is pretty impressive. Is all of that under a covered patio?

natemoore

After grinding back down to grey with 50 grit (wet diamond pads), I actually like how it looked with subtle blues and greens mixed in with the grey, but the wife wanted brown-ish. The acid stain was easy to use and gave good results. You really have to see the counter top in person to appreciate it. Party at my house!

tn_IMG_1278.JPGtn_IMG_1279.JPGtn_IMG_1280.JPGtn_IMG_1281.JPGtn_IMG_1282.JPG

Nice job on the cabinets!!

So you have wood as a base for the counters? and that will remain?

The counter looks dynamite!!

natemoore

Even with what you consider a boo boo it is pretty impressive. Is all of that under a covered patio?

Thanks. Yes it is all covered. The total area is about 12' x 45' Simple lumber and sheet metal roofing structure.

natemoore

Nice job on the cabinets!!

So you have wood as a base for the counters? and that will remain?

The counter looks dynamite!!

No, the plywood was temporary. The wife was having a Bonko party and she wanted some type of counter tops. What we men do for our wives. :rolleyes:

The Z-Counterform system is very easy to use. You basically cut out 1/2" Durock or Hardi-backer and screw it down to the cabinets (with no overhang). Then you cut out the plastic edge forms and screw those to the cement board. Install your rebar and wire mesh, pour the concrete, vibrate, screed, vibrate, work with wood float, vibrate, then work with magnesium float. After four days of curing, wet-grind to 400 if desired, stain/tint as desired (make a gamdam sample piece first!), seal or for slicker finish, grind up to 3000 grit then seal.

You're supposed to use an add-mix, not just 5000 psi concrete. Many suppliers of add-mixes out there...Cheng, Z-Counterforms, Rhodes to name a few.

And thanks!

natemoore

Weekend project. A wine bottle chandelier. We're going to do several of these. It's made out of a Jack Daniels barrel lid. Notice the snap shackles. It's easily taken down for hurricanes, although we haven't had a major one since Hurricane Ivan about 8 years ago. Ergo, I used my 3/4" plywood hurricane shutters for the floors and sides of the cabinets. :rolleyes:

IMG_1291.jpg

natemoore

I finally completed--and I mean 100%--the outdoor kitchen. I got side tracked by hunting, repainting my Tundra myself, and our house flooded (1" of water inside) in the April '14 floods here in NW Florida so I had all that flooring to redo. Figured I would update this old thread.

natemoore

We were going for a Jamaican theme on the paint. We vacationed there for a week last summer. Wonderful time.

natemoore

LED ribbon lights under the counter top lip give nice mood lighting at night.

natemoore

I had enough counter top mix left to make a concrete fire pit. It's natural gas,

natemoore

The forum software seems to be working better now. I haven't posted in a year because it was so frustrating trying to post pictures.

natemoore

When I explained my vision for our back porch area, my wife opposed it because it would block the sunlight coming into the house. "It's going to make our house so dark," she complained. On this project, I just had to ignore her and do it. Of course now she loves it, and she has weekly pool parties during the summer with her fellow teacher friends, who are envious of our outdoor party space.

aspeck

Staff member
Awesome!! Great job!

I had a covered porch once ... but wife wanted to enlarge the dining room. Covered porch became enclosed part of house ... now I have to grille in the rain and snow!

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I wish my summer season was longer or I would make an outdoor kitchen that's an awesome set up you have

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Very nice job ! Doing the same thing is on my list for the first of the year .. The Admiral said if I don't build her outdoor kitchen before I start messing with another boat she's gunna sell em on C/L !! :eek:
I had better get busy ..