We're Penniless here in Canada

Moody Blue

Captain
No, we're not broke, we've just officially done away with the penny as of today.

Pennies are no longer being distributed as currency. Instead, merchants will "round up or round down" the price to the nearest nickel. Guess which way most will "round" off the prices to.

The penny is still accepted as legal tender for now, but will eventually be taken completely out of circulation. Better go empty those piggy-banks and cash in my fortunes now before it all becomes worthless.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: We're Penniless here in Canada

Makes sense. It costs more to make them than they are worth. US could consider the same.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I agree with the sentiment that they should go away....

Actually have seen video's on Youtube where people round up the older U.S. pennies (from the times when they were mostly made out of copper), and sell them for copper scrap since they are worth far more than face value as such.

Moody Blue

Captain

Makes sense. It costs more to make them than they are worth. US could consider the same.

That's exactly right. It cost 1.6 cents to make a penny. That just doesn't make any cents :D. Sorry, couldn't resist.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They could make them in China, only .25 cents.

aspeck

Staff member

I got a suitcase full of pennies, waiting for them to be worth more than $0.01 ...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Time for everyone to "round up" the prices.
They did a little "rounding up" of the gas price here yesterday. $1.19 per litre in the morning on my way in to work and $1.32 per litre on my way home !! :facepalm:

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So what does that do to local sales tax? Everthing gets bumped up to a nickle? I can't imagine them rounding down if you only owe 2 cents sales tax.

On cash transactions everything gets rounded to the nearest 5c increment, AFTER taxes are applied. If the total comes to 1.03, you pay 1.05 if it comes to 1.02, you pay 1.00 (theoretically)

If paying by credit, debit, online or cheque, you pay exact amount to the penny.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is just way to intelligent for us to do in the US but then again we have some pretty stupid people down here.

TilliamWe

Banned

I just stacked about 100 plastic bags of pennies, worth $50/bag, yesterday. About 2000lbs, total. It wouldn't bother me if they went away. Because I also stacked about 100 bags of quarters, 200 bags of dimes, and 50 bags of nickels, too!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I just stacked about 100 plastic bags of pennies, worth $50/bag, yesterday. About 2000lbs, total. It wouldn't bother me if they went away. Because I also stacked about 100 bags of quarters, 200 bags of dimes, and 50 bags of nickels, too!

You have $5K worth of pennies? How big are these bags? How does one accumulate that much change?

Or.. Do you work at a bank?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

A nickle for your thoughts just dont sound right.

64osby

Admiral

The next step should be to replace the dollar bill with a coin. I know they have tried a few times, but it would save millions.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No, we're not broke, we've just officially done away with the penny as of today.

I better go make a trip to the currency exchange.. and turn in all of my Canadian pennies I received in place of the US silver dime I was originally expecting out of the machine. :rolleyes:

TilliamWe

Banned

You have $5K worth of pennies? How big are these bags? How does one accumulate that much change?

Or.. Do you work at a bank?

No. Roughly 8"wide by 16" long. I have no idea.

No. I work for an armored car company, we get the coin from ALL the banks in the area.

$1000 in quarters (and dimes) weighs about 49lbs. $2000 in dollar coins weigh about 34lbs. Funny thing is, the Federal Reserve doesn't actually count every coin. They go be the weight of the bags! Dollar coins would be okay, except that are TOO CLOSE to the size of quartes, always have been. Silly.

jkust

Rear Admiral

The next step should be to replace the dollar bill with a coin. I know they have tried a few times, but it would save millions.

Dollar coins are great when the toothfairy comes. We will get them from the bank just for when the little ones lose teeth.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

5 dimes weigh exactly the same as 2 quarters. That is why a bag of dimes or quarters weigh exactly the same for the same dollar amount. When I used to own laundromats, all my coin deposits were in $1000 bags

64osby

Admiral

Dollar coins would be okay, except that are TOO CLOSE to the size of quartes, always have been. Silly.

They could change the size to be more obvious, ya think. Rippled edge on quarter, smooth on nickel, serrated on a dollar.:jaded: