Using towable tubes on snow?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Using towable tubes on snow?

I would suggest that the thin fabric bottom of a round towable tube with a hole in the middle, would be pretty hard on the butt. If it is more of a solid "tube", then should be OK. The fabric may wear really fast though . . . Good luck.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Did it all the time, but just like everything its not as good as the original inner tube...

Too much resistance to really get any air, get an old inner tube and spray the bottom with silicone spray and were talking Evil Knievel distance...

aspeck

Staff member

+1^^^^^ just can't beat the original .... The old truck tire inner tube!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

A few ski areas around here have full-time tubing runs/parks and it's a real cash cow.
They just use truck tire tubes.

Maclin

Admiral

I have not tried a towable tube yet, if the surface is all snow packed then it might be ok, otherwise I think the life of the fabric will take a hit. I would only consider the one we have that has the full bottom, not really sure why but it seems the open one would not work out so well.

I used our kneeboard a couple of times, it was fast. I had to make an emergency exit from it on my last venture :eek: My son used it a lot too, had to roll off of it each time before he went all the way into the street at his favorite spot. He said the other types of sliders there did not have that problem.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yeah you can use a knee board too, in the right conditions they can hit warp speed. Thats what I love about kids, as they grow up they find many uses for Dads purchased goods, Knee Boards for snow, Dads prized Album collection for frisbees.

And that right there is the reason why I never told my kids, "Hey, you might get hurt doing that!"

Paybacks are Hell....

rbh

Fleet Admiral

+4 on the inner tube.
Hit the tire store for a used skidder/loader tube if you can find one (seats four comfortably LOL)

In order of fun.
Classic wood toboggan, inner tube, crazy carpet, gt racer, old skis screwed to riding platform, steel railed sleigh, garbage bag, waxed cardboard box.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The "tube" might work just fine in the snow but I would be worried more about the performance of the boat pulling it??!!!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Did it only once. There were so many holes in the tube after that it was useless.

southkogs

Staff member

I would think the cover will take a beating and slow the tube down. I've gone on inner tubes and they work pretty well...

... but back in the day, this:
flyer-sled.jpg

was THE BEST. Find one some where, wax the rails for a few minutes, sled. Rinse, repeat. :cool:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I would think the cover will take a beating and slow the tube down. I've gone on inner tubes and they work pretty well...

... but back in the day, this:
View attachment 176928

was THE BEST. Find one some where, wax the rails for a few minutes, sled. Rinse, repeat. :cool:

That's a big no-no today. At least in my neck of the woods. Anything with metal runners is relegated to display on the garage wall. No local hills allow them any more.

Heck, my skis aren't even legal today. Runaway straps have been replaced my pins on the bindings and they won't let you on the hill with the old stuff.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Towable tubes are expensive. Truck inner tubes are cheap or almost free. Snow is hard on tubes. I'd save the expensive ones for the water.

Jim, what do you mean local hills don't allow metal runners? Are sledding hills policed somehow? Around here all the kids go to where ever a big hill is and slide down with whatever they have? There aren't any rules.
What is this world coming too?

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I was a kid, Dad would tie an old car hood (40s chevy or ?) to the back of his truck and drag us kids across the frozen lake. It was a blast and NEVER wore out. Tried it on the back roads after a fresh snow but the trees were too close to the road for comfort.