many boats bottle necked into lock

went fishing today and for the first time the locks were shut as the lake is high. first time into a lock so no real idea of what we are meant to do. they asked for my boat number :facepalm: luckly another boater read it out as you can not see it from inside the boat (will make a label for the inside now).
fishing was ok then as the trolling motor started to die we called it a day and headed in. when we got to the lock we found 30-40 bassboat all in the no wake zone stacking up for the lock. the safest way seemed to be holding position on the trolling motor that was now running real slow. on the second cycle they waved me in to the lock which already had over ten real shinny expensive bassboats in the lock so i decieded that its was better to wait and let the guy behind me draw into the gap. everyone was real friendly but i must admit i wasnt enjoying myself being that close to all the other boats. i guess as i get more experiance in that type of situation it will be easier and i will make sure i dont run so low on the trolling motor before returning. i will also make sure not to return at the same time a event is ending to avoid having to sit so close to so many boats.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: many boats bottle necked into lock

Sometimes I forget my kids' names, but I know my boat's registration number. Is that wrong? :confused: :redface:

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I have had expierienced the lock in chicago literally packed solid with boats. Larger vessels along the walls and pleasure boats rafted up to fill the lock. This is not the norm, however the most efficient way for the lock master to move the traffic most efficiently. As long as everyone is patient and follows the directions of the lock master things should go smoothly. As for the troling motor, It is your choice to sit and wait using it to hold corse. Some boats idle while others have been known to sit furthe back and anchor to save fuel.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have had that happen with BASS tournaments...... it does feel crowded.