Skydiver Begins Prep for Supersonic Jump

Anyone following this jump?

balloon.jpg

ROSWELL, N.M. (AP) - A weather hold that threatened to cancel extreme athlete and skydiver Felix Baumgartner's death-defying, 23-mile free fall into the southeastern New Mexico desert was lifted Tuesday morning and crews began laying out his balloon.

Jumping from more than three times the height of the average cruising altitude for jetliners, Baumgartner's expects to hit a speed of 690 mph or more before he activates his parachute at 9,500 feet above sea level, or about 5,000 above the ground in southeastern New Mexico. The total jump should take about 10 minutes.

The 43-year-old former military parachutist from Austria plans to take off in a 55-story, ultra-thin and easy-to-tear helium balloon that will take him into the stratosphere for the jump. He hopes it will make him the first skydiver to break the sound barrier and shatter three other world records.

Red Bull has a live feed going of the event:
http://www.redbullstratos.com/live

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: Skydiver Begins Prep for Supersonic Jump

Its a no-go due to high winds. :mad:

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe an automatic, altimeter-activated parachute rip cord, just in case he became unconcious during jump...wouldn't want to clobber-in at 690MPH!;)

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Many years ago when I was in the Air force, I was crew on a C130 transporting a bunch of Army Airborne to a DZ when the young trooper across from me said "you know, I get a hundred bucks extra every month to jump out of this aircraft". To which I replied, "really, I get 190 bucks a month flight pay to stay in it" :eek: I jump out after the plane comes to a stop. Baumgartner is nuts.

southkogs

Staff member

...I get 190 bucks a month flight pay to stay in it" :eek: I jump out after the plane comes to a stop. Baumgartner is nuts.
Right with ya' dawg.

Tho, I've been watching with interest. He's puttin' a lot of faith in that suit. I watched the live stream of the scrub this morning, and he was wise to waive off (but definitely not happy). He's got several layers of redundancy built into the jump, but at the end of it if that suit fails even a little he could be in big trouble.

On the other hand how many of us break the sound barrier without an airplane?

Kiwi Phil

Commander

This is not a 'first'.
A USAF Officer did it in the late 50's - some defence project.
As a member if the International Red Berets Para Assn this officers story featured in out Tattler some time back.
I know - the project had the same name as my Nursery - just coincidence!.
I would do it - in a blink - no questions asked and if it failed, so what - bet Bubba would be there too!!

Cheers
Phillip

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure this will get deleted...so I shall paraphrase the words in a Great Book.

"Do not test me."

This dude apparently does not subscribe.

'Nuff said!

like some one has already said they did a simular jump during the 50's and people have ejected from planes at super sonic speeds and survived so most of the theory has been tested. just need a big set of gonads to take the ride of your live. as long as the suit is heater it looks like fun compaired to some of the redbull stunts like riding a motorbike off the side of a 10 story appartment that is one you wouldnt catch me signing up for

waterinthefuel

Commander

Maybe an automatic, altimeter-activated parachute rip cord, just in case he became unconcious during jump...wouldn't want to clobber-in at 690MPH!;)

Not possible. The only way he would reach 690 is with the thin air up high. He's going to slow down as he reaches the denser air down low so he can't hit the ground at more than 120. That's terminal velocity. You can only fall that fast. And yes he will have an auto opening parachute if he doesn't deploy it himself below a certain altitude.

This jump has never been done. The jump people are referring to way back when was a jump to 619mph. So no, this has not been "done before." Nobody has ever skydived through the speed of sound.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Not possible. The only way he would reach 690 is with the thin air up high. He's going to slow down as he reaches the denser air down low so he can't hit the ground at more than 120. That's terminal velocity. You can only fall that fast.

Incorrect.
Use of the term "terminal velocity" is irrelevant here...and inaccurate. If a skydiver "trims out" for maximum speed, 200+ MPH is easily attainable.

This jump has never been done. The jump people are referring to way back when was a jump to 619mph. So no, this has not been "done before." Nobody has ever skydived through the speed of sound.

The actual speed Kittinger attained in 1960 is not precisely known. Some, including Kittinger himself believe that he exceeded the speed of sound....but without better instrumentation (speed of sound is dependent on altitude and temp) that is lost in the past.

southkogs

Staff member

Scrubbed again today ... c'mon Felix, the anticipation man!

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Incorrect.
Use of the term "terminal velocity" is irrelevant here...and inaccurate. If a skydiver "trims out" for maximum speed, 200+ MPH is easily attainable.

The actual speed Kittinger attained in 1960 is not precisely known. Some, including Kittinger himself believe that he exceeded the speed of sound....but without better instrumentation (speed of sound is dependent on altitude and temp) that is lost in the past.

This. Speed of sound and terminal velocity are both based on the properties of the air which change dramatically through the descent. Once he reaches initial terminal velocity he will actually decelerate from that point down as the air density increases.

I'm skeptical that it's physically possible to exceed the speed of sound in a jump like this. Drag increases exponentially as you approach the sound barrier, and there is no energy in the system besides his own falling mass to push him past it.

southkogs

Staff member

Huh - it was never on for today. It is scheduled for sunday at 6am mountain time
When they bumped it on Tuesday they were originally targeting today ... I don't know when they changed it. Apparently LONG before my post. :)

When they bumped it on Tuesday they were originally targeting today ... I don't know when they changed it. Apparently LONG before my post. :)

no worries.. :D I would/will enjoy catching the ride/jump live when it DOES happen. Hopefully I won't miss it.

sasto

Captain

Yes, Col. Joe Kittenger jumped from a gondola at 19+ miles. If you ask him he says he didn't jump....He stepped out. He is involved in a Christmas Charity for children every year, as I am. Having spoke to him on many occasions, I can say with out a doubt, he is one fine humble man. I see where he is taking a large part in this new jump......er....step!

Brewman61

Ensign

What I wanna know is if he's going to shout "Geronimo............................." on the way down.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Yes, Col. Joe Kittenger jumped from a gondola at 19+ miles. If you ask him he says he didn't jump....He stepped out. He is involved in a Christmas Charity for children every year, as I am. Having spoke to him on many occasions, I can say with out a doubt, he is one fine humble man. I see where he is taking a large part in this new jump......er....step!

A pretty remarkable life for sure!
His biography is incredible.