Why men sail? His eloquent reply...

angus63

Captain
Decades ago a man named CAPT Prosser was the waterfront director at USMMA when I first arrived and was required to justify to Congress the costs associated with the development of an offshore sailing team. Below is part of how he replied without a spreadsheet or numbers:

"Then there are the special educational influences of being at sea under sail. Probably the most important additional quality induced is self-reliance. Life under sail is nearly always a perpetual struggle with the blind forces of nature which are no respecters of persons nor can one contract out of the struggle. It has to be waged by each individual on board with all his powers. Because sailing ships are often smaller than power vessels and always more dependent upon and susceptible to weather, special discipline must prevail. The man in charge must obey instantly under all conditions, very often conditions of extreme fatigue and discomfort. The discipline which the safety of the ship and the crew require must be accepted with willingness and alacrity. The occasional condition of danger or potential danger, while giving opportunities for the display of courage, quickly produces prudence and the habit of thinking ahead in a way that few other activities rival. And finally, if as is often the case, the crew is small there is constant scope and encouragement for unselfishness, that most truly respected of all qualities."

The man had a way about him. One of the docks is named after him. The program was added and still exists today.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Why men sail? His eloquent reply...

Even though I am Army but from LI ............ I had heard about “Joe” Prosser ;) He had quite a reputation!

angus63

Captain
Re: Why men sail? His eloquent reply...

He was unique. Could use more like him.