Smoking for boating

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wife and I gave up smoking four weeks ago. We are in the process of taking up boating. It seems like a very good trade-off to me. We will use the cigerette money for gas instead.:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Smoking for boating

Good luck. ;)

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

that's a heck of a trade!
boating makes you live longer....
and with the price of smokes nowadays you should always have a full tank!
and a pat on the back to both of you you should be proud and I am sure those grandkids will enjoy many extra years with you

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good Luck. Been almost four months for me.

:)

<<)))(((>>

204 Escape

Ensign

Congrats on the choice of quitting !! I hope it works for you !!!!! (IF you have too much gas money, ......) ;)

Jeep Man

Commander

Now there's a good plan,:rolleyes: Going from an expensive habit to a very expensive addiction.:D

mscher

Lieutenant

Dr. Phil says that you trade in one expensive habit, for another. ;)

Good for you.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Thats EXACTLY what I did. For my 30th Bday present [to myself] I quit smoking and bought my boat. I crunched the #s and figured I was burning up [pun intended] $1200.00 or so a year on smokes. Found a boat for $5500.00. So within 5 yrs the boat was paid for without any extra out of pocket expense. After that I also quit drinking and put the money towards toys . I have 2 Ski-Doo sno mos, an 2006 Yamaha Grizzly ATV and the boat . All financed with former...sin... money. :DIt helps ya to quit when ya set your eyes on a prize... Good Luck !!! PS I just turned 50 and STILL have that boat. See Signature...;)

southkogs

Staff member

By quittin' y'all have a better chance of enjoying it longer too. Congrats, and hang tough with it.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for your support. As some of you know, this is not an easy accomplishment. I have been smoking since I was fifteen and I just turned fiftyone. I have been trying to figure out a name for the boat. Maybe Bad Habit or My Addiction? A combination of the two: Bad Habiction.
For those of you who are also trying to kick the habit, Good Luck and keep up the good work.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still not smoking but, picked up an extra 20 lbs.

How about anyone else?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Still not smoking here.
Wait, I never did smoke.

But just joined a smoking cessation program at work, only because I get entered into a drawing for a $100 gift card, and I get a free sweatshirt. :D Hey, the sign up sheet didn't say I had to smoke, just quite cold turkey on national smoke out day.

Congrats, and continued success to you.

DayCruiser

Ensign

Congrats! My dad started smoked for 20 years. Quit after his quadruple bypass surgery while in his 50s and after Docs showed what smoking all those years did to him. But it was just too late because he died of its effects at the age of 70. Even the Chinese government is trying to get their people to stop smoking because the cost of medical treatment for smokers:

GDP versus Health

"China has 350 million smokers and the number just keeps rising. This year alone Chinese cigarette consumption has equaled about five cigarettes for every Chinese person per day - that accounts for 1.31 trillion cigarettes. For most people those statistics are extremely alarming –unless of course you are profiting from the Tobacco industry.

In the first half of this year, tobacco remained one of the most lucrative sectors in China, with a combined profit of 152.04 billion yuan which equates to 480.72 billion yuan in tax revenues. That’s big business for the Chinese government.

But on the other hand official statistics show that smoking in China causes over one million deaths per year from related diseases and is predicted to treble by 2025 putting huge pressure and expense on China’s national health care system.

Leaving the government in quite a predicament and begs the question: Can China afford to stop smoking? ....."

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

roscoe, How can you lose? A free sweatshirt and a chance at a hundred to do something that comes easy to you. Good luck and thank you :)

DayCruiser, Thank you and sorry for your loss. I don't think china would want to give up the revenue. I also think that with it's population the government would accept the losses due to smoking. Population control without doing anything illegal.
Really, that's a lot of money, cigarettes and people.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you all for your support. As some of you know, this is not an easy accomplishment. I have been smoking since I was fifteen and I just turned fiftyone. I have been trying to figure out a name for the boat. Maybe Bad Habit or My Addiction? A combination of the two: Bad Habiction.
For those of you who are also trying to kick the habit, Good Luck and keep up the good work.

Well I just had to pipe in on this because at 52 years old, I did the same thing and quit about 4-5 weeks ago. I did the reward thing in past efforts to quit. I once quit cigs. then went out and bought myself a nice used vette as a reward. It worked for a couple years but I eventually went back to them. This time I think I will just bank all that cash, I already have 2 boats, 2 snow machines, no need for any more toys now. But I sure will enjoy living longer and not smelling bad. Wish I could get my lady to stop too, it will eventually be an issue I think, she want to quit and I know the only way to quit is if YOU want to, never works when you do it for others.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's been a year for me now. No weight gain. Finally kicked the pretzel habit that replaced the smokes:facepalm:

But still chew gum at work to keep from choking someone :D

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck you two!
Hooked on snuff myself.