Once in a lifetime...

angus63

Captain
Can't sleep, wore a hole in the carpet pacing, so I am writing about my once in a lifetime event today.

Last Friday, I received an email from my USMMA alumni foundation with a link they received. The link was for a casting call looking for mariners to fill speaking roles and lend some tech advice for a new Sony motion picture film being cast called "Maersk Alabama" starring Tom Hanks as Capt. Richard Phillips. The link had descriptions of the roles and required info to submit. I thought how cool would that be to have a bit role in a major film. I googled the film and saw that they have been casting nationally for months so I closed the email and went home for the weekend. Mentioned it to my wife after dinner and she brushed it off with a smile.

Sunday morning I woke up early, walked the dog, ate, read the paper, and had a clean slate for a football only Sunday. Had 2 hours to kill before kickoff so I opened up the laptop and started reading about the day's games. I checked my emails and the casting call email was still on top of my work email inbox. I thought to myself that I had nothing to lose and put together a quick resume, found some pics to add, wrote a short cover letter, and clicked send. Thought for a few minutes what it would be like to be part of a movie shoot until my son plopped down and all thoughts quickly turned to NY Giant Football (surprise!).

Fast forward to 7pm tonight. Wife calls down the stairs to make sure I DVR American Idol and before I grab the remote my cell rings. The number is from NYC and I do not recognize it. Wavered about hitting talk or letting it go to voicemail to screen the caller. DVR is now set and hit the talk key on the last ring. " Hi, is Richard available?" Not a familiar voice and no one calls me Richard. "Who is calling?" Prepared to deny Richard's existence. "This is Elizabeth on behalf of Sony casting and I would like to speak with him regarding a role..." Before she finished I jumped in "Hi I'm Rich, errr Richard, whatever...It's great to meet you, ummm I mean hear you, get your call..." I was like a grade schooler in his first performance in a school play.

I collected myself and spoke with her for 20 minutes about the film details and she stated " we love your experience and access to the Merchant Marine community, and your pictures resemble who we envision for the role of 2/M Quinn. It has 5 lines and several scenes. Can you memorize the lines and come into the City Saturday and read for the part?"

Well, It's almost 5 hours later, I called everyone in my contact list, and I am still hitting refresh every minute or two on my email waiting for the directions and lines to memorize! I've gone through several phases from excitement to fear to absolute terror to scattered mind racing madness.

I am not convinced I will be able to remain composed under pressure, but i am gonna give it my best and enjoy the experience at the very least.

Hope I don't break a leg before Saturday:p

Anyone wanna talk? I'll probably be up all night!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Once in a lifetime...

Awesome! What a great opportunity!

Break a leg Saturday!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like life is good and about to get better.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats! That's just awesome and well deserved for serving our country.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well, It's almost 5 hours later, I called everyone in my contact list, ....

Oh, so 5 hours later you get around to us here on iboats? :D

Sounds like fun. Even if you don't get the film role, you could surely contribute to the screen play and director's insight.

Good Luck.

YZ165

Seaman

That sounds exciting! Well played, and I too thank you for your service!

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thats really cool Angus! Maybe one day soon we can all pester you for an autograph. Hope you get the part. Good luck!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Outstanding!!! Good luck!

Having worked on many movies myself .......... You will get a kick out of the mayhem on the set ;)

QUIET ON THE SET............

ROLLING.........

ACTION......

CUT!

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Man, that sounds cool as all heck!!
Good Luck. Make us proud!
:cool:

<<)))(((>>

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

GO FOR IT !! When one of these life opportunities comes around, jump in with both feet. Congrats!

southkogs

Staff member

That's AWESOME!! Congratulations!

Like Bob said, you'll have a great time just being "inside" the action (I've done a little independent work myself + stage stuff). Have a great time.

aspeck

Staff member

Aw man, weren't we going fishing Saturday????? LOL!

Have fun Richard, Rich, er whatever! LOL! Did they tell you that 2/M Quinn was the movies "Gomer Pyle"? :D

Enjoy the moment and remember we all want invites to opening night!

angus63

Captain

Thanks all!
Trying to teach my labs well and get home to stare at the mirror and repeat myself over and over. Apparently acting is a lot like marriage!!!!;):p

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

That is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity! Congrats to you, and I hope it turns out to be all it can.

I can relate on the anticipation for that kind of thing..I got a call once from a producer that was considering our business for a reality show but it never panned out. I just got to lose sleep over the experience. :rolleyes:

bassman284

Commander

Oh, so 5 hours later you get around to us here on iboats? :D

Sounds like fun. Even if you don't get the film role, you could surely contribute to the screen play and director's insight.

Good Luck.
Guess we know where WE stand. Go for it, angus. Good luck.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

We do not want to turn up the pressure but............. :D

This would look good on the shelf!!! It only takes one movie!!

oscar-statuette-0220-lg.jpg

angus63

Captain

It might squeeze in between the Little League 1971 and jr bowling trophies.
I've read the scenes and lines till I'm numb. Now it's time to rest and be fresh for tomorrow. Snow storm for my ride into the City the weatherman says.

Here goes nuthin'........

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

It might squeeze in between the Little League 1971 and jr bowling trophies.
I've read the scenes and lines till I'm numb. Now it's time to rest and be fresh for tomorrow. Snow storm for my ride into the City the weatherman says.

Here goes nuthin'........
Countless hours.......and then 15 minutes of fame. :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Good luck!!! Sounds like a lot of fun.

I keep picturing Quin(t). Wasn't he the crotchety captain in Jaws? You know where he ended up :eek: