• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Picture stolen for craigslist ad??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture stolen for craigslist ad??

I just ran across a craigslist ad for a boat like mine, opened the ad to find a picture of my boat!?! I thought the boat looked familiar!

I'm flagging the post and emailing the seller. That's just not right ...

If anyone happens to see something similar pop up again, please flag it.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/2517328590.html

Edit: It appears it was stolen from this post: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....=1#post2559075

1989 19' VIP Vindicator 25th Anniversary Restoration: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ght=vindicator

Re: Picture stolen for craigslist ad??

Ouch, heard a couple times of this happening, stuff is rampant, I remember seeing a newstory of a guy that drove by a billboard on the highway (the really big ones) and saw a picture of his entire family, wife, couple kids, himself, and the family dog they had gotten made at one of the mall type box stores. Now THAT is freaky, dont recall the outcome of that one, but it wouldnt be good if it were my family, gotta admit.

Comment

The internet is public domain. If you don't want your picture used, copyright it or remove it from the web.
      Grady White 226
      200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
      Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
      Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
      ICOM M504A VHF
      Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Errr, I know you may have checked, but do you know where your boat is?
        I mean is it outside your house or safely berthed?

I'd hate to think that you berth it 30 miles away and haven't been there for 3 weeks and..............
        Tahoe Q4 Ski & Fish 2007
        MerCruiser 4.3 MPi V6

"If it has Tits, Wheels or Floats, it WILL give you problems"

Comment

i've seen my boat in an advertisement for a boat like mine. it was an pic absconded from iboats. i don't have any other place the pic was uploaded to. so it had to come from here.

i'm with dingbat. any pic i publish on line can be used by someone else. c & P. it's not hard to do. with that in mind. i don't post any pic of anything that i don't care if it gets used by someone else.

fwiw. the ad did say that the boat pictured wasn't the boat for sale.
          'Lime Time'
          1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
          Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Comment

My brother-in-law's mom is a graphic designer. Years ago he posed for an ad for her for a golf course or something golf related I forget which. It wasn't anything national just a local company ad. Well he and my sister just went on an island vacation and were researching resorts and his picture showed up on one of the golf-related pages. How random!

I'm a web developer and used to work for a BlueCross insurance company. I was working on a project for the marketing department. I asked them for some images for a page I was developing. They sent me a bunch in email that were none too standardized looking. I asked "you didn't just go out and swipe these off the internet did you?" they were like "oh". You'd think marketing people would know you can't just do that. Stock photos are expensive.
            1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
            Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
            1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
            Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Ya I have had it happen to me, but was listed as a ref picture. Kind of like when I was looking for a Sleek for Arch I ran across Matts boat for sale on another auction site, even included Matt's video of when he got he got his boat home......now that is bold....
              1987 20ft Crestliner Rampage 205
              5.7 with noisy exhaust on demand

Comment

Happens all the time. Google images is a great place to go when you need a quick pic of something. Public Domain. I would grab a pic from there if I needed it vs. having to drive out to the boat, unbutton the hatch and get a pic of my genset or something. As long as you indicate that the picture of the *whatever* is for representation only, and not the actual item.

Pics of people however, would be a different story. We have pics of my wife on a billboard. She was working at the local ambulance as a Paramedic when she was captured wheeling a patient into the local ER. Next thing we know, she was on a billboard for the same hospital, advertising for their emergency room services!
                2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

Next thing we know, she was on a billboard for the same hospital, advertising for their emergency room services!
                  then she'd need to be monetarily compensated imho.
                  'Lime Time'

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy View Post
                    the ad did say that the boat pictured wasn't the boat for sale.
                    Maybe I'm dense and missing it, where does it say that?

Perhaps laws say that he technically can use a photo from the Internet as it's considered public domain, but... the question has to be asked why he can't post a pic of HIS boat, in an age where everybody's cell phone has a camera. My guess is his boat is a complete mess, and he wants to sucker as many people to his house that he can.

The guy's phone number is on the listing, I would be giving Ryan a call.
                    1976 Rogers Custom Boats 18' "Bonneville" W/ Chevy 454/ Berkeley 12JC

Care Taker of 1976 Glastron V-184 Crestflight W/ Volvo 170B/280 I.O.
                    & 1969 Starcraft W/ 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin.

Comment

Give him a ring, that would be funny, then show up to his house with your boat in tow......and ask WTF?
                      1987 20ft Crestliner Rampage 205
                      5.7 with noisy exhaust on demand

Comment

Maybe I'm dense and missing it, where does it say that?
                        sorry, i didn't make myself clear. the ad that i saw that used the pic of my boat said that, not the op's boat. as a disclaimer i assume..
                        'Lime Time'

Comment

sorry, i didn't make myself clear. the ad that i saw that used the pic of my boat said that, not the op's boat. as a disclaimer i assume..
                          gotcha.
                          1976 Rogers Custom Boats 18' "Bonneville" W/ Chevy 454/ Berkeley 12JC

Care Taker of 1976 Glastron V-184 Crestflight W/ Volvo 170B/280 I.O.
                          & 1969 Starcraft W/ 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin.

Comment

fwiw. the ad did say that the boat pictured wasn't the boat for sale.
                            If that had been the case, I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with it. I understand the public domain stuff, but I don't think its right for someone to misrepresent what they are selling.
                            1989 19' VIP Vindicator 25th Anniversary Restoration: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ght=vindicator

Comment

I emailed him and asked for more pictures of the boat before I make the 500 mile trip to purchase it ... will see if I get any more iboats pictures.
                              Rules of Repair:
                              1. If it ain't broke, give me a hammer, it will be!
                              2. You only need 2 tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move, and it should, use WD-40. If it moves, and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape!
                              3. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X