navy burns a 200 hp mercury...laser test

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: navy burns a 200 hp mercury...laser test

Not that impressive...... there are iboats member's who destroy outboards ALL the time and w/o a laser!!

angus63

Captain

Heck, I have seen 98 Fichts do that blindfolded!! : )

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Could they have used a smaller less expensive motor?

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could have, but then how much adrenaline would that provide? Would you rather shoot a squirrel or an elk? :rolleyes:

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could have, but then how much adrenaline would that provide? Would you rather shoot a squirrel or an elk? :rolleyes:

I guess that really depends on who's paying!:mad: I guess burning 250 $100 dollar bills looks a lot different than 250 $1 dollar bills, but shoot, what's $25k to a taxpayer?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

it is easy to destroy things, when your not paying for it!

DaNinja

Lieutenant

The motors were probably junk before they started the test.
I can see doing a test on a motor that you may actually encounter. Let's see them try that a a 38' Cig, though. You would have to target the dash or the driver.

As far as cost...I think it cost $1,000 just to do a run-up on the aircraft I used to fly.

It cost almost $4K/hr to fly it.*

*(That is if I brought it back without holes. Holes get expensive rapidly. My crew chief explained to me that holes are bad, and if I could, I should avoid them.) :D

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I guess w what was spent to develop the laser, that Merc. was nothing.I also suppose they could do that to a boat running flat out in rough seas also(keep it locked on the wildly moving target)and hit it from a great distance alot further than a projectile.But Im no expert!I like the 50 cal. or something bigger myself.Much more dramatic to watch:eek:And Im sure the pucker factor is alot more for the operators on the recieving end:eek::eek:I can imagine the captain looking back at his laserbeamed,burning engine thinking OH S%#*,as opposed to actually s%#**ing himself w the 50!!!

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

The motors were probably junk before they started the test.

Uh, I dunno 'bout that. The one on the right was running, or at least something was spitting out the telltale....

<<)))(((>>

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uh, I dunno 'bout that. The one on the right was running, or at least something was spitting out the telltale....

<<)))(((>>

Make it full screen and it looks to me like they are both running in the very beginning.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I see 2strk smoke comming from both motors on the regular screen.I think theyre developing technology to bounce the beam off satelites?and shoot stuff anywhere on the planet.But I wonder what could they use that would not be destroyed by it hitting the reflector?I think its a waste of $$ right now. Maybe needed in the future though.I read the gov. is spending money to study micromachines and a small hummingbird sized one that flies like a bird and looks like one."it could land on a wire or limb and eavsedrop or gather video intelligence".Come on already I thought we were broke!!!