• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

What's a cord of oak cost?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a cord of oak cost?

Hey Guys-

I saw a company cutting down an oak tree and they let me fill my truck with it for free. I got two truck loads of logs- probably 60 pieces that were about 14" in diameter and 20" long.

What's a cord of oak cost? I'm just curious what we saved. In fact, we don't have a fireplace but we camp a lot, so I got it to burn at the campground.
    Spicoli for president - Mr. Hand for V-P

Re: What's a cord of oak cost?

Dried firewood (oak is good stuff) for heating here in the Northeast is about $170/cord (8' x 4' x 4') cut, dried, split and delivered......but just in a pile not stacked.
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Out here in Central NY its about $55 a face cord.

Comment

Depends, look in your local paper. Probably in excess of $200.
        Lake Shasta with Mt. Shasta in the background, June 2011

Comment

Darn,

Wish I would have been there, I would have called the wife and had her bring the dump truck down and filed it up, we have very little opportunity to get oak out here where I live, and if you do, it is over $300 a cord!

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me except it was my neighbors ash tree (no beetles). I don't know what the wood is worth but I know it burns good and seasons quickly.

My fireplace has a gas insert so wood is not an option. I do however have a fire pit in the back yard that gets a lot of use in the summer.
            Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do!!

Comment

Originally posted by Summer Fun View Post
              Out here in Central NY its about $55 a face cord.
              So about $110 for a full cord.

Around my neck of the woods, it depends upon how hungry the wood cutter happens to be. Since oak is everywhere, it is relatively inexpensive; anywhere from $75 to $150 a cord.
              2009 Neptoon 25TT Sport Sun Lounger
              150 Honda

Older than dirt and just about as active.

Comment

Originally posted by scipper77 View Post
                I had the same thing happen to me except it was my neighbors ash tree (no beetles). I don't know what the wood is worth but I know it burns good and seasons quickly.

My fireplace has a gas insert so wood is not an option. I do however have a fire pit in the back yard that gets a lot of use in the summer.
                Ash is another very good heating wood and can almost be burned as soon as it is dropped and split.

Here is good chart for BTU's http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm
                This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

A cord of split mixed hardwood goes for about $250 delivered, but not stacked in North West area of NJ. A bit cheaper in PA, where coal is readily available and fairly cheap.
                  sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

Dry oak around here goes from 250.00 - 350.00

One cord of dry red oak is equivalent to using 155 gallons of heating oil.

heating oil around here today is 2.72 per gallon. So 155 gals. today would cost 418.50

Comment

gee-whiz...

The two boys we buy from only charge $90.00 a cord...that includes delivery within 20 miles of thier location. They come with thier F350 loaded and ask you where they can stack it for ya... I got two cord from them last winter, and still have about a half left.

OldePharte.... I think your confused about how many face cords are in a cord... 2 face cord does NOT make up a cord.
                      1986 19' Capri---sold
                      2003 GMC EXT. CAB 4X4

14' sea nymph
                      ole' Merc. 9.8hp

Comment

Used to get a pick-up truck load (even with the gunwales) of seasoned hard wood (mostly oak but some beech and hickory) for $40. I think it is $60 now. I can also go in my woods and cut it but found that the pick-up truck load was just too reasonably priced. If you get a face cord make sure it is not a "rabbit" face cord. Old timers use to say a cord of stacked wood sometimes allowed a rabbit to run through the gaps.

Comment

Originally posted by perchin View Post

OldePharte.... I think your confused about how many face cords are in a cord... 2 face cord does NOT make up a cord.

The confusion is yours.

Since a face cord is at best an invented measurement and in fact often varies from place to place, (heck, I've even seen 12" cutoffs called a "stove cord"....what dat??) , I've seen 2, 3, and even 4 face cords be presented as a the equivalent of a "real" cord, 4'x4'x8'.
                          I've never been offered apples by the "face bushel".

And make sure not to confuse it with a "box" or "truck cord" which some around here call a pickup box full of 16"-20" chunks, randomly thrown in.
                          You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat. (Will Rogers)

Comment

Explanation of cords and "face cords".

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm
                            Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

Comment

In MA, a cord of hardwood (not oak specifically, but it will be a mix of oak, ash, cherry) Starting about mid Nov onward will run you 250 delivered (but obviously not stacked). After winter you can get a cord for about half that.

The lowballers in the newspapers that claim 150-200 deliver crap, pine, wet/fresh cut wood.
                              just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

Part of diagnostics is spending time figuring out not only what the problem is, but also sorting through what it isn't.

The older the engine is, the chances of it having more than 1 problem goes up exponentially

Boating has always been a rich mans hobby. Buying a new boat gets cheaper every year, but the maintenance, the repairs, and the overall cost of ownership of a boat has never gotten any cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X