anyone ever have gall bladder stones?

ezbtr

Commander
Finally found out what was buggin me(probably forever!!) had an ultra sound and it's gall stones - what causes it? I know I have to drink lots of water etc, read up on some causes and treatments. Liver and all my other guts all good :)
Just curious :)

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer
Re: anyone ever have gall bladder stones?

I've had 'em for 20 years, since my early 20's. I might have had a dozen attacks. Most only last a couple of hours. The worst was 2 years ago and lasted 12. I would have likely gone to the emergency room if I hadn't been on vacation and didn't want to end up on an operating table...I talked to my doctor at my last physical. He said just let 'em ride until they get worse.

What does it feel like when you have gall bladder problems?

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

A number of years back I started having serious gall bladder attacks. I could feel them coming on; first a dull ache that turns into intense pain, somewhat like being stabbed by a sword. Mine would last for about an hour or so, but the attacks got stronger and lasted longer. My next to last attack lasted for over 8 hours and I was working out of the state. I passed out during my last attack; right before I was taken to the ER.

A sonogram didn't even show my gall bladder, so they opened me up not really know what to expect. I had a whole bunch of gallstones that I politely refused to take home with me.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Im having mine out on november 12 at 730 am, in Omaha, as part of my wls , routine part of that. gonna cure my diabetes.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

My wife had her gallbladder removed a couple years ago. she has been miserable ever since. She can't eat what she used to without it going straight through her.

Her suggestion is DON"T EVER have it removed unless it's going to kill you.

I had Kidney stones. they did lipotripsy (sp?) and busted them up.. been good ever since.. I wonder if they can do that to your gallbladder.

bassman284

Commander

Interesting stories so I guess I'll tell mine.

Back in mid June 2004 on a Sunday night, I had a couple of frozn burritos for supper then went to bed about 10 pm. I woke up about midnight with severe indigestion, so I chewed a couple of Rolaids and went back to bed. I woke up about a half hour later with serious pain right below my right rib cage. Even though this was the first such event, I knew it was gall bladder. I was going to ride it out until morning but finally called a friend at 2 am to take me to the ER because I was in too much pain to drive myself.

Went To ER, got shot of demerol (which didn't help as much as I'd hoped), a few Lortabs and went home. Same long suffering buddie dropped me off at the hospital next morning for ultrasound. Ultrasound tech tells me, "You didn't hear it from me but you've got stones."

Went to my doctor on Tuesday who felt gall bladder removal shoud be done sooner rather than later. I wanted to put it off because of plans to go to the F1 race at Indy a week and a half later but he wasn't convinced. Said recovery was usually pretty fast so I might make it anyway.

Had surgery on Friday of the same week which was supposed to take about an hour but ran 2 1/2 because the gall bladder had gone gangrenous. Recovery was proportionally longer and I missed the following week of work AND the race.

On the positive side, I have had no after effects and totally do not miss the suckeer.

ezbtr

Commander

I haven't yet heard from doc, but got letter of what they found. Researched and says cranberry juice helps.
My symptoms off and on for a few months were, slightly painful gassy bloated feel in gut, a bit of the runs and at times nothing. Beleive wine was aggravating it, so haven't had any in 2 weeks, glad beer doesn't affect me(nor champagne)!! :)
Also eating smaller amounts more frequently, pretty much been fine for 1.5 weeks.
Will see what doc says.

aspeck

Staff member

I could feel them coming on; first a dull ache that turns into intense pain, somewhat like being stabbed by a sword.

:eek::eek::eek: Can't say I know what it feels like to be stabbed by a sword! YIKES! :eek:;):D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I feel for the pain you were going through, the line just struck me as funny.

ezbtr

Commander

what were symptoms when you guys had a flair up/attack?