Face Book Enthusiast

Fly Rod

Commander
Facebook has launched, Face Book Places. this is a facebook site that could find out where you are when your logged-in.

It will give your actual address and map location to others as you are on line with facebook.

With all the crack pots out there this could be very dangeous for children.

To fix, go to: Account, Account settings, Notifications, scroll down to, Places, uncheck the two boxes and make sure that you Save Changes

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Face Book Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up. Can't help but wonder why the Facebook brain trust thought this would be a good idea.

gonefishie

Commander

The worm poops of the world has taken a good idea and turned it into something very bad. It's too bad that the management of FB allowed it to happens due to greed. I'm hardly ever on it anymore and have locked my account down. There are still millions of users that have no idea how bad FB is.

Summer Fun

Banned

Plus that place is filled with nasty virus's. DON'T click on anybody's links on there. :eek:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

FB haters crack me up...lol. :D

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Social Networking Services (SNS) is not the "debil," folks. Facebook is taking a cue on the fastly becoming popular SNS site Foursquare, a GPS based locator service where the users "check in" to locations they travel and can "link up" with trusted people within their network.

It works like this. Lets say you have a professional network of co-workers you have developed via Twitter or LinkedIn that you follow. Now if you go to a seminar you can "check in" and see if any from your buddy list who are Foursquare users who are also there, and you can make a connection and coordinate a "link-up."

Okay, what does that mean to boaters? Have you ever had a ski buddy or fishing expert that you found out after the fact was on the lake or at the Bass Pro Shop the same time you were and you would have wandered over to say howdy, if you only knew?

Having Foursquare (and now FB Places) and if you regularly "check in" to the places you go, that will happen a lot less.

This means a hill of beans if you are behind or ahead of certain demographics, and these types of technological features may seem foreign or useless to you. There was an interesting article by an educator named Mark Prensky who noted the distinction between "digital natives" and "digital immigrants." Do a Google search on the terms if you are interested in the demographic chasm.

To each his own. :D

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

The worm poops of the world has taken a good idea and turned it into something very bad. It's too bad that the management of FB allowed it to happens due to greed. I'm hardly ever on it anymore and have locked my account down. There are still millions of users that have no idea how bad FB is.

500 million people* are completly and utterly duped? Hmmm, gotcha, thanks. :rolleyes:

*http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics

45Auto

Commander

500 million people* are completly and utterly duped?

Nah, only the ones who think that there's not any privacy or security problems with Facebook.

Try a search on "Facebook security", "Facebook malware", etc.

July 7, 2010, 10:55 PM ?

Interesting news from the world of Internet bean counters: Facebook?s growth last month stalled to virtually nothing ? at least here in the US. And a number of people are pointing to the social network?s seemingly endless series of privacy and security gaffes as the culprits.

Thu Jun 3, 5:18 pm ET
The bottom line on Facebook security appears to be becoming more and more plain: Don?t click on anything.

gonefishie

Commander

500 million people* are completly and utterly duped? Hmmm, gotcha, thanks. :rolleyes:

*http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics

I don't hate FB, I just know that it has turned into something that it wasn't intended to be. I've been using the internet since the early 90's. I might not have been born into it but have seen it since almost the beginning. Does that make me "natives" or "immigrants" ? It was very empty and innocent compared to now.

Keep "checking in" to places that you're at so I'll know when to come over and borrow your house for my next Toga party.

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't hate FB, I just know that it has turned into something that it wasn't intended to be. I've been using the internet since the early 90's. I might not have been born into it but have seen it since almost the beginning. Does that make me "natives" or "immigrants" ? It was very empty and innocent compared to now.

Keep "checking in" to places that you're at so I'll know when to come over and borrow your house for my next Toga party.

This is the part that I dont get. I use FB however I do not tell every minute where I am at just for this reason. This is a criminals best tool of they want to rob your house. All they have to do is keep up to date on your FB and they know not only when you are not home but how long they have to do what they want.

I think FB is great to find and talk to people that I have not seen in a long time or live long distances away however that is about it. If I do go somewhere I will not post any information about the trip until I am back.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I closed my page on Facebook last week. I never used it and didn't see any use in it. Call me anti social, but the last thing I need is more "friends". ;)

tburda

Seaman

I use fb, but I locked down my privacy, and generally dont click on anything. I like being able to catch up with people I've known basically my entire life, especially ones that have moved thousands of miles away. I know there's always the phone, but I tell ya, spending 10 minutes sending each one a "hows life?" then checking in on them later when you have time, sure is alot faster, then if you decide there's a particular one you want to talk to about their new child/marriage/divorce, you can always give them a call after!

I guess im a little anti-social too cause I don't really want to talk to all these people, only once in a while haha.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are blocked, you cant see me status. I have my privacy settings so you and other strangers cant see my posts, or my locations. There is a customize settings link, you can change who see's what, including wall posts and locations. I only approve people I know and my wall posts are not broadcast, and their friends cannot see any of my posts.

So, you have a better chance knowing when to come over by trolling me here on iBoats that you would on FB.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the part that I dont get. I use FB however I do not tell every minute where I am at just for this reason. This is a criminals best tool of they want to rob your house. All they have to do is keep up to date on your FB and they know not only when you are not home but how long they have to do what they want.

I think FB is great to find and talk to people that I have not seen in a long time or live long distances away however that is about it. If I do go somewhere I will not post any information about the trip until I am back.

I protect my posts so they can only be viewed by trusted contacts. There may be a few inlaws who are my FB friends, but there are no criminals. You set yourself up for failure if you allow criminals to follow your posts, I have taken steps to reduce the threat (knowing it cannot be eliminated without unplugging the computer LAN cable).

Me, I have 53 friends...., all close and personal friends and family. There is risk, but I work to mitigate it often.