Lake Mead boating accident.....

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
I dont personally have any info, i copied it all from another site, but this is what happened. I DO NOT KNOW ANY PARTIES INVOLVED.....

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b474/kdwendl/34068_1378691259721_1005067877_3084.jpg

"Brand new 29 hallett, i know the owner of the boat, & his fiance very well, also another 2 of my very good friends (another couple), were on the boat along with 3 other people i don't know (7 total).... everyone is going to be ok, bruised up a bit and very sore, a couple of the passengers were air lifted as a precaution but no major injuries from what i've been told.

An idiot on a sea doo cut in front of them in the narrowest part of the narrows and then did a 180 right in front of them. The driver was forced to make an evasive turn in one direction to miss the sea-doo, then an evasive turn back the other direction to stop from running up onto the rocks. It was at this point the boat spun out and ejected all 7 passengers. Since there is no kill switch and no self returning throttle on the boat (like most other boats that size) the boat then took back off and ran itself up the rocks.

Another friend of mine was up in front of them when it happened in his eliminator, he just happened to look over his shoulder when it all went down, he hauled [butt] to the opposite side of the narrows from where all the passengers were in the water (thinking everyone was still on the boat up rocks) and was yelling into the boat if anyone was ok, he then turned around and noticed everyone back on the other side a couple hundred yards away i'd guess, he went over there and started throwing life jackets and stuff in the water, and doing a head count, everyone was there (no one drowning or under water)

BTW the [knucklehead] on the Sea-Doo fled the scene."

Last edited by a moderator:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lake Mead boating accident.....

there were 7 people aboard that boat ???

QC

Supreme Mariner

That boat is rated for over 12 . . . I assume 5 on the bench is no biggee.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

did you look at the boat in the picture ? I find it hard to believe 5 people would be comfortable on it, much less 12 :eek:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You know, I wasn't there in that situation, but I might have just taken my chances and run over the darn Sea-Doo rather than running the boat up on the rocks....

QC

Supreme Mariner

I didn't say it was comfortable for 12 ;) My bench is the same, 5 across is easy.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

This accident?

LakeMead.jpg

Yeah, that's ugly.
It was being discussed in another thread earlier.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Question .Who was drinking?
Why is it that when something like this happens, it is assumed that someone was not capable of being at the helm due to alcohol. I am not sayin it was not, but why the assumption.

Car accidents happen all the time, is it safe to assume they were/are all a result of being inebriated?

I am glad this was posted, Vegas brought it up in another thread and I was curious. Glad they appear to be okay. That sure is a rough way to beach , err,,, dock,,,,errr,,,,land the boat.

Last edited:

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Question .Who was drinking?
I'm not going to jump to that, though it wouldn't surprise me.
A sober novice in a high powered boat could do the same trying to avoid a jet flea. I would've just hit the ski before I put my passengers in that peril.
If that's the way it really all went down.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Or, throttle down and turn at the same time.

No need to keep the throttle full speed AFTER you've already made one aggressive turn.

I'm not saying 0 % throttle, 1/4- 1/2 is plenty of thrust to turn

I believe the water cops asked who all was drinking. My sister lived in Vegas and I know a little about the stuff that goes on on lake mead so asking who all were drinking is a fair one.

ziggy

Admiral

i agree, why the question of who was (probably not) drinking...

The driver was forced to make an evasive turn in one direction to miss the sea-doo, then an evasive turn back the other direction to stop from running up onto the rocks. It was at this point the boat spun out and ejected all 7 passengers. Since there is no kill switch and no self returning throttle on the boat (like most other boats that size) the boat then took back off and ran itself up the rocks.
that boat driver sounds like he was in control till (and after) the pwc did a 180 right in ft. of him, the 180 putting the pwc on a instant collision course with the boat... sounds like the boat driver did all he could to avoid a collision. he just lost it (by being ejected) in his radical moves... too bad about no kill switch...

glad all were ok...

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

also, when jetskis or seadoos or whatever do a 180 and spin out, they are almost dead in the water for a second or two. then they get going again. so it was probably on a collision course for a good amount of time i'll bet.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Drinking, drugs or other distraction may have contributed, but premeditated negligence is, as always, indicated.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I will add, this happened in a pretty heavily patrolled area. I have been approached in this area, with no alcohol on board, just to see how "we were doing" while hanging out in a cove.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

No kill switch??
That's a pretty new boat.
I would believe, "No kill switch lanyard worn", but not "No kill switch".