Going under the knife tomorrow

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sunday night one of my wisdom teeth broke in half so now I get to have all four cut out tomorrow. I've never been put to sleep or had surgery so this should be a real blast. Worse yet, the weather is great and I should be taking the time to finish working on the boat.... SIGH

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Going under the knife tomorrow

Good luck tomorrow FB. You'll be right as rain in a couple of days. Keep repeating this, "Painkillers are my friends, painkillers are my friends".

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

So if one broke, why do you have to get all 4 cut out? Sounds like a dentist upsell to me. I'll bet he told you some horror story about what could happen if you kept them, so why not get 'em all while he was at it....I had an orthodondist tell me I needed to get my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 15 or they would come in and push my other teeth right out the front of my mouth. He predicted all kinds of pain and torture if I didn't get them taken out. Guess what? That was over 25 years ago. They all came in straight and I use 'em to chew with every day. Never had a minute's worth of trouble.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Im about 2 weeks ahead of you on this, the deal is that the last tooth in your mouth, has to have a companion above to match up to when you chew, if you broke it vertical it has to come out, then the one above has to come out too. or you have to have a implant, wisdom tooth, they come out, implant 3=7k nah, new boat yea. or your teeth will start to mismatch and fall backwards and you would loose your molars. in time, my wife is getting implants and dentures, due to her fear of dentist. back to you, the other side they do because it covered as customary, and one sucky day and its over, a little luck and they will just pop out.
I was lucky, I was not a vertical fracture of my last molar, and just had to have a couple of crowns. I went to the NJ school of dentistry, money is not a issue there in the treatment plan.

FBPirate95

So if one broke, why do you have to get all 4 cut out? Sounds like a dentist upsell to me. I'll bet he told you some horror story about what could happen if you kept them, so why not get 'em all while he was at it....I had an orthodondist tell me I needed to get my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 15 or they would come in and push my other teeth right out the front of my mouth. He predicted all kinds of pain and torture if I didn't get them taken out. Guess what? That was over 25 years ago. They all came in straight and I use 'em to chew with every day. Never had a minute's worth of trouble.

Although my wisdom teeth came in fine in regards to spacing, they were just too difficult to keep clean. Therefore they started to slowly decay. I have been putting this off for a long time, and now with the broken tooth its finally time. Plus my wife is currently in school for dental hygiene and after helping her study for her tests, and reading through the text books it ain't worth putting it off anymore. The nice thing is the oral surgeon is going to let my wife sit in and observe as part of her "shadowing" for the dental program.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I had all 4 of mine pulled about 13 years ago. It really wasn't that bad pain wise. The worst part is when they are healing you will have 4 holes in the back of your mouth where food gets stuck in them and you have to pick it out with a toothpick. Good luck.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you see a Sawsall, Hammerdrill, and a 4-1/2 inch grinder on the dentist tray....... change your mind and find another dentist!!!

Everyone knows that a 4-1/2" grinder is not as good as a 8" body grinder for dental work! :D

Good luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i had mine removed when i was young. now all of mine are out. it is not the pulling that is bad, it is the bruising that takes place, which they cannot help. good luck, explains why, you did not come buy.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

if they all came in fine why do you have to have them cut out? i've had three of mine removed along with a lot of other teeth, (as in all the top ones) and I haven't needed any of them "cut out" yet.

best of luck to you, and the pain shouldn't be too bad in a couple days. I managed to go out for steak day after each of my trips for pulling. worst one was 9 teeth in one trip, and something about a bone file. LOL

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I had all mine out when I was in the military. Not only was it too crowded to keep clean, but too crowded for the dentist to work. So, they numbed me up good and pulled them all. I took the pain meds and was able to eat normally that night. Really wasn't that big of a deal in my case.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I joined the Navy just to have mine pulled for free :D

aspeck

Staff member

Had mine pulled about 20 years ago ... pain wasn't bad, but the suckers would not stop bleeding. Putting tea bags in the back of your mouth and biting down is not a fun activity.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I wonder how it went?

I like being put under...that is some good stuff!:D

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

i was wondering to. figured he'd have said hi by now to let us know.

FBPirate95

i had mine removed when i was young. now all of mine are out. it is not the pulling that is bad, it is the bruising that takes place, which they cannot help. good luck, explains why, you did not come buy.

Yeah sorry about not stopping by or calling TD, between issues at work that had me in there at all hours, Easter and this tooth thing, I've been tied up. If I'm feeling well enough I'll give you a call around Friday.

FBPirate95

I wonder how it went?

I like being put under...that is some good stuff!:D

Ok now that I've been under I like it too. My wife had some of the best entertainment of her life. Even though she was in there for a learning experience, the Doc had all 4 out in about 15-20 min. She got to see how the procedure is handled, and the things you learn about in the text that you don't quite get to see in person. After that, it was just fun time for her. Apparently I'm a little belligerent (not in a bad way...just a little opinionated) and quite funny when I'm under. For example I wanted to keep my teeth to show the kids what can go wrong if you don't brush well. Well my wife explained to me when I asked that they said no. My comments were "well there my teeth and I want them....darn ba$#tards". Then she said I kept asking the same questions over and over, and although she gave me the answers...I'd forget and ask it a minute later. Then she mentioned something about calling my mom to let her know I was out...and my idea was for me to do the talking. So my mom has a nice recording of me trying to talk right after the event with gause shoved in my mouth. I also had her take a video o me saying "supercalafragelisticgetsbyaladocious" None of this I remember.

From my perspective the doctor said, now you're going to start feeling the medication, the assistant put a bite block in my mouth, and then that's it. No more memory until about 2 hours ago. Granted this happened at 8am.

My wife said it was pretty amazing. She it was like I was awake, but I wasn't. I would interact with the doctor and assistants. Very strange.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Too funny FB!

Glad it went well for ya though!;)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Glad to hear you woke up. That's the most important part. :)