• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

A VW Beetle pulling a 5th wheel!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A VW Beetle pulling a 5th wheel!!

Think I'm joking? Look how cool this is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0...eature=related

Re: A VW Beetle pulling a 5th wheel!!

Pretty cool. The "trailer state of Indiana" heh.
    Crosby Sled, '69 Evinrude 33HP Ski-Twin [Restoration Thread]

Comment

That was very cool to watch.

Too bad many drivers don't follow his parting advice about showing a little courtesy.
      too much water, too little time

Comment

That is downright amazing! Got 18-20mpg as well! Way cool...

Comment

I wonder why someone hasn't come out with one again? With all the small cars out there it would be a great way for people to camp.
          The reason I do what I do is in the avatar above.

Comment

WOW!! That is just eye poppingly amazing. I didn't think a VW bug could pull a gnat, forget a trailer.
            1990 Bayliner Capri 2050 BR - (My first runabout; Never seen her in water) ***Restore on hold***
            Restoration status: Painting hull Watch my progress
            Progress so far: Teardown - Transom - Stringers - Deck - Paint - Re-power - Interior Panels - Seating - Water Trial - Upholstery

The 10 steps of restoration denial - Which step are you?

Comment

this was in the late 50's early 60's, just as gooseneck 5th wheels came out. they were all the basic style, some 4 point attachments for larger cars. i remember seeing a Mercury Monterrey ( i believe) towing a 5 th wheel. i seem to remember they were outlawed, due to, too many accidents, and the trailer and car jackknifing, and the trailer running over the car.
              FLORIDA GATORS
              TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
              That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

I am not sure I would trust the roof that much.
                home is where we drop anchor

Comment

Great to watch but I would most likely not try it !!!
                  sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rbh View Post
                    I am not sure I would trust the roof that much.
                    what?? you mean the rain gutters may not be up to the task of keeping the trailer from running you over?? And I thought those rain gutters were directly attached to the frame! I'm not sure what class that hitch would be... maybe a 0.1 ?

Comment

I know I wouldn't trust it. Back in the Seventies, a buddy of mine owned a Beetle in the U.K. He had a roof rack that utilized the gutters for hold downs.
                      We took off to a local racetrack with a packed cooler on the rack. When we hit 70M.P.H. the rack shot off the roof and became a hood ornament on a very expensive Mercedes. The really bad part was we lost all the beer.
                      Kev.

Comment

That concept would be popular in England with all their compact cars. They really like camping and it seemed a tow vehicle is anything that a hitch can be mounted on.

Comment

Beetles don't have a frame - they have a pan. I wouldn't trust it either. I also would want to have to panic stop it with Beetle brakes.

Interesting idea, just not on that vehicle.

Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

Working...
                          X