Does Hot Sauce need refrigeration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Just wondering if the hot sauce (aka Tabasco) I keep at my desk at work should really be refrigerated? Its not in a bottle, it comes from the lunch room in a 2oz cup with lid. (I know its 2 ounces because it says so right on it)

Anyway, the sauce rarely lasts more than two days or so. Maybe over the weekend sometimes.

Just wondering.

BTW, those orange colored "cheese crackers w/peanut butter" are really great with hot sauce. Got addicted to them.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Does Hot Sauce need refrigeration?

Nah. Most food places around here have them on the tables until they're empty. Not too many critters can live in a bottle of Tobasco!:D

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I store all of my hot sauces behind my stove, have for years, and the worsth that happen is they separate and I have to shake them before using them. Never noticed any kind of taste change in any of them. I even store 'red devil' sauce the same way, and it isn't that hot, mainly a nice spicey flavor.

Would saltines and hot sauce produce the same flavor? I'm always looking for a new hot sauce snack recipe.

Are you sure it is going bad or is it just separating? Even pure habenero will separate over time.

ehenry

Commander

There is enough vinegar in Tobasco to kill off most anything. That goes for most other potions similar to Tobasco.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I keep my hot sauce in the fridge, but only because I use it in bloody marys. My dad keeps his in the cupboard.

As for a hot sauce snack, Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce with Bugles Original chips.
Works with other sauces, but we like it with the wing sauce the best.

LadyFish

Admiral

Louisiana Hot sauce does not need refrigeration, Tabasco doesn't either. I keep mine in the fridge though, not sure why. lol

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used to never refrigerate my tabasco sauce, but then I read somewhere it loses flavor if it's not refrigerated, so I do now. The way I use it, probably wouldn't make a difference with the little bottles, but now my wife gets these big coke bottle sized tabascos from Cosco.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

All vinegar based sauces are preserved (pickled) no refrigeration necessary. I would however suggest you buy yourself a store bought bottle with a secure lid and all for your desk.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Spoilage is not an issue, but taste quality and color are. Some sauces will loose both if not refrigerated.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

There is enough vinegar in Tobasco to kill off most anything. That goes for most other potions similar to Tobasco.

POTIONS:eek: Are you SERIOUSLY reducing the sacred hot sauce to a mere potion?:D:D But, NO, it doesn't have to be refrigerated, around here it doesn't last long enough to get to fridge. :cool:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I store all of my hot sauces behind my stove, have for years, and the worsth that happen is they separate and I have to shake them before using them. Never noticed any kind of taste change in any of them. I even store 'red devil' sauce the same way, and it isn't that hot, mainly a nice spicey flavor.

Would saltines and hot sauce produce the same flavor? I'm always looking for a new hot sauce snack recipe.

Are you sure it is going bad or is it just separating? Even pure habenero will separate over time.

Want a good one-
2tsp coriander seeds
1/2tsp caraway or cummin seeds
3-4medium green chilies, finnaly chopped (halepino)
4tsp sugar
2tsp salt
1 piece lemon grass, 3 inches
1 piece ginger 3/4 inch peeled and finely choppped
3 cloves garlic crushed
4 shallots or 1 onion finely chopped
hand blender up in a cup
what you dont use freeze, take sa needed. :)
rob

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

as long as its not based on mayo for a thickener.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Want a good one-
2tsp coriander seeds
1/2tsp caraway or cummin seeds
3-4medium green chilies, finnaly chopped (halepino)
4tsp sugar
2tsp salt
1 piece lemon grass, 3 inches
1 piece ginger 3/4 inch peeled and finely choppped
3 cloves garlic crushed
4 shallots or 1 onion finely chopped
hand blender up in a cup
what you dont use freeze, take sa needed. :)
rob

Mmmmm that sounds yummy!:D

puddle jumper

Captain

BTW, those orange colored "cheese crackers w/peanut butter" are really great with hot sauce. Got addicted to them.

Let me get this right crackers/peanut butter and hot sauce. Humm are you pregnant:D That's quit the mix of tastes.

Splat

Lieutenant

Franks Red Hot Sauce, I put that S*** on Everything.

Really I do.

Bill

sfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Franks is great stuff, no doubt. good on panfried shrimp, chicken and BIG hamburgers. if you got a place that serves it, excellent on chicken 'n' waffles.

read the label, if it needs to be refrigerated it will usually say so. some sauces are ok on a shelf until they get opened, but then need to be in the fridge after opening

scipper77

Commander

You may not believe this (Heck I may not be right!?!) but you don't even have to refrigerate ketchup.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

You may not believe this (Heck I may not be right!?!) but you don't even have to refrigerate ketchup.

Nope. Nor mustard, nor A1, nor Cattlemans, lots of others. potential of hydrogen, it's all in the potential of hydrogen.

fishrdan

Admiral

I don't know about keeping it refrigerated or a good recipe, but my favorite hot sauce is Tapatio, hot, but with excellent flavor. Oh yeah, it's dirt cheap too, a 1qt bottle at the store is $4-5 (or from their store 12 quart bottles for $30).

I guess my quirkiest thing for hot sauce is french fries, hamburgers too....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I don't know about keeping it refrigerated or a good recipe, but my favorite hot sauce is Tapatio, hot, but with excellent flavor. Oh yeah, it's dirt cheap too, a 1qt bottle at the store is $4-5 (or from their store 12 quart bottles for $30).

I guess my quirkiest thing for hot sauce is french fries, hamburgers too....

Hey Me too! One of my favorites. Tapatio is water based and is a bit hotter then Franks..... I think it is a great bargain. My wife found it in quart size at a store. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.