Does Hot Sauce need refrigeration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does Hot Sauce need refrigeration?

Read the fine print. Sometimes "Refrigerate after opening" is in an obscure location. I'm surprises sometimes to find such places on the label or lid that messages is hidden. When in doubt don't leave it out.

cribber

Lieutenant

My Texas Pete, Cholula Garlic, and Trappey's pepper vinegar all live in the same cupboard next to the stove. Rarely do any of these last more than a month or so since we use these nearly every day.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you can find it, try ENDORPHIN RUSH , REAL GOOD!!!! It used to be at the local grocery but I haven't seen it in a while. Come to think of it the Mate hasn't had me shopping in a while either.....Hmmm.;)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you want to try a hot sauce that is a little different, get a bottle of "Vietnamese" hot sauce. Its not too hot, and has a different flavor than most.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want to try a hot sauce that is a little different, get a bottle of "Vietnamese" hot sauce. Its not too hot, and has a different flavor than most.

Are you talking about Sriracha, with the rooster art on the bottle? That is good stuff.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Thai world, sweet chili sauce for chicken, goes in/on everything.
Love that Thai food, lots of different flavours:)
rob

Reactions: KJM

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

try Big Daddy's Fiery Foods...bigdaddyff.com :cool:

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wished I knew the name of the hot sauce my buddy brought back from Mexico, but it came in a little wooden casket with warnings on it about heart conditions and stuff. I put a very tiny bit on my pinkie to try it and not only did I start a coughing fit, and sweating like crazy but my pinkie started to burn too. Crazy stuff!!

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have to say that all the hot sauces you all have been talking about are nothing more than water vinegar and pepper. if you want real hot sauce try checking this out
http://www.firehotsauces.com/hs0044.html
my brother bought it for me as a joke and it is extremely hot but very flavorful. now we try to top each other on hot sauce. the best so far was stuff called demon ichor i guess its no longer made a true 2million on the scoville heat scale. it was pretty much impossible to handle. we havent found anything hotter that's affordable.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

i have to say that all the hot sauces you all have been talking about are nothing more than water vinegar and pepper. if you want real hot sauce try checking this out
http://www.firehotsauces.com/hs0044.html
my brother bought it for me as a joke and it is extremely hot but very flavorful. now we try to top each other on hot sauce. the best so far was stuff called demon ichor i guess its no longer made a true 2million on the scoville heat scale. it was pretty much impossible to handle. we havent found anything hotter that's affordable.

Sometimes you have to just shake your head at wild claims like this and wonder how they could be so exaggerated.....other times you are surprised at how understated they are. :D

I got ambushed by this stuff once....hurt for a week. One other write-up of this stuff...

Demon Ichor **

Demon Ichor, the blood of a demon, is absolute pure evil! At 2,000,000 Scoville Units you can unleash the chaos and transform your fiery foods into a truly hellish experience.

Demon Ichor is one of the most potent, ready to use pepper extracts available on the market today.
:eek:

kei9th, if this is a staple in your house, I doff my hat in awe....!!!
You must have a leather stomach. :)

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you talking about Sriracha, with the rooster art on the bottle? That is good stuff.

I like the rooster on eggs. Also cajun salt a lot. I used to use a lot of tabaso on random things etc but now I do most of the cooking and there's no need. It's more of a cafeteria hamburger thing imo.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I probably have 8 various hot sauces in my house from lot's of flavor to lot's of pain. I consider having a good variety a rite of passage for any man. :D

aspeck

Staff member

Ghanaian s h i t o pepper sauce is a thing to be admired ... crushed hot pepper in a fish oil base ... just too hard to explain, but a pure culinary delight with the potential to burn the whole way through! YIKES! Extremely good stuff! Bring on the hot stuff!

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

by no chance do i use demon ichor on any sort of regular basis. my brother and i like to try and top the hottest sauce we can find. i do use the blair hot sauce on some things. but really bring it out to see peoples reaction. my real favorite hot sauce for everyday use is chalua

sprintst

Commander

That is some good stuff. I try to watch though on some of them that have msg in them as that stuff knocks me on my butt.

Just picked up some habenero based sauce. I'm pretty sure anything living would burst into flames in that bottle.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I keep mine in the cupboard until it is opened for the first time and the seal is broken.
Then it goes into the fridge.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read the fine print. Sometimes "Refrigerate after opening" is in an obscure location. I'm surprises sometimes to find such places on the label or lid that messages is hidden. When in doubt don't leave it out.

Well, I've always been of the opinion that the "Refrigerate after opening" on condiments is mostly there for a CYA thing. It says that on ketchup, mustard and some others which I never ever put in the fridge...including some of the hot sauces. Most of the time the stuff doesn't last long enough to even worry about it going bad.

Now mayo is a completely different thing. It will go bad...sometimes fairly quickly depending on the environment it is in, and will make you really sick if you get some that has gone bad.

My favorite hot sauce is one I found down in Belize when I was down there with the military. The name is Marie Sharp's Habanero Pepper Sauce. It is a carrot-based sauce and it is absolutely delicious. Of course it comes in mild, hot, or very hot. Also can be bought here in the states now too.

I actually still have a little bit left in a bottle that is almost 12 years old and still tastes as good as it did when it was new. This bottle was for me to use at work so it doesn't get regular use like the ones I keep at home. Never has been refrigerated.

eileenderosa

Recruit
Hot sauce does not need to be refrigerated, but it can be stored in the fridge if you prefer. The sauce will last for about a year when stored in a cool, dark place.

Status
Not open for further replies.