• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Does Hot Sauce need refrigeration?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Hot Sauce need refrigeration?

Just wondering if the hot sauce (aka Tabasco) I keep at my desk at work should really be refrigerated? Its not in a bottle, it comes from the lunch room in a 2oz cup with lid. (I know its 2 ounces because it says so right on it)

Anyway, the sauce rarely lasts more than two days or so. Maybe over the weekend sometimes.

Just wondering.

BTW, those orange colored "cheese crackers w/peanut butter" are really great with hot sauce. Got addicted to them.
    sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Re: Does Hot Sauce need refrigeration?

Nah. Most food places around here have them on the tables until they're empty. Not too many critters can live in a bottle of Tobasco!
    There are three types of people in this world:
    Those who understand math and those who don't.

Comment

I store all of my hot sauces behind my stove, have for years, and the worsth that happen is they separate and I have to shake them before using them. Never noticed any kind of taste change in any of them. I even store 'red devil' sauce the same way, and it isn't that hot, mainly a nice spicey flavor.

Would saltines and hot sauce produce the same flavor? I'm always looking for a new hot sauce snack recipe.

Are you sure it is going bad or is it just separating? Even pure habenero will separate over time.
      1990 Bayliner Capri 2050 BR - (My first runabout; Never seen her in water) ***Restore on hold***
      Restoration status: Painting hull Watch my progress
      Progress so far: Teardown - Transom - Stringers - Deck - Paint - Re-power - Interior Panels - Seating - Water Trial - Upholstery

The 10 steps of restoration denial - Which step are you?

Comment

There is enough vinegar in Tobasco to kill off most anything. That goes for most other potions similar to Tobasco.

Comment

I keep my hot sauce in the fridge, but only because I use it in bloody marys. My dad keeps his in the cupboard.

As for a hot sauce snack, Franks Red Hot Wing Sauce with Bugles Original chips.
          Works with other sauces, but we like it with the wing sauce the best.
          sigpicLivin' the Dream...Chasing Life

Comment

Louisiana Hot sauce does not need refrigeration, Tabasco doesn't either. I keep mine in the fridge though, not sure why. lol

Comment

I used to never refrigerate my tabasco sauce, but then I read somewhere it loses flavor if it's not refrigerated, so I do now. The way I use it, probably wouldn't make a difference with the little bottles, but now my wife gets these big coke bottle sized tabascos from Cosco.

Comment

All vinegar based sauces are preserved (pickled) no refrigeration necessary. I would however suggest you buy yourself a store bought bottle with a secure lid and all for your desk.

Comment

Spoilage is not an issue, but taste quality and color are. Some sauces will loose both if not refrigerated.

Comment

Originally posted by ehenry View Post
                    There is enough vinegar in Tobasco to kill off most anything. That goes for most other potions similar to Tobasco.
                    POTIONS Are you SERIOUSLY reducing the sacred hot sauce to a mere potion? But, NO, it doesn't have to be refrigerated, around here it doesn't last long enough to get to fridge.
                    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Comment

Originally posted by lowkee View Post
                      I store all of my hot sauces behind my stove, have for years, and the worsth that happen is they separate and I have to shake them before using them. Never noticed any kind of taste change in any of them. I even store 'red devil' sauce the same way, and it isn't that hot, mainly a nice spicey flavor.

Would saltines and hot sauce produce the same flavor? I'm always looking for a new hot sauce snack recipe.

Are you sure it is going bad or is it just separating? Even pure habenero will separate over time.
                      Want a good one-
                      2tsp coriander seeds
                      1/2tsp caraway or cummin seeds
                      3-4medium green chilies, finnaly chopped (halepino)
                      4tsp sugar
                      2tsp salt
                      1 piece lemon grass, 3 inches
                      1 piece ginger 3/4 inch peeled and finely choppped
                      3 cloves garlic crushed
                      4 shallots or 1 onion finely chopped
                      hand blender up in a cup
                      what you dont use freeze, take sa needed.
                      rob
                      home is where we drop anchor

Comment

as long as its not based on mayo for a thickener.
                        "LIVE LIKE YOUR READY TO DIE" [tim mc graw/I]
                        WHERE BALD EAGLES FLY
                        (http://www.njherald.com/story/news/28Eagles)

Comment

Originally posted by rbh View Post
                          Want a good one-
                          2tsp coriander seeds
                          1/2tsp caraway or cummin seeds
                          3-4medium green chilies, finnaly chopped (halepino)
                          4tsp sugar
                          2tsp salt
                          1 piece lemon grass, 3 inches
                          1 piece ginger 3/4 inch peeled and finely choppped
                          3 cloves garlic crushed
                          4 shallots or 1 onion finely chopped
                          hand blender up in a cup
                          what you dont use freeze, take sa needed.
                          rob

Mmmmm that sounds yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post

BTW, those orange colored "cheese crackers w/peanut butter" are really great with hot sauce. Got addicted to them.
                            Let me get this right crackers/peanut butter and hot sauce. Humm are you pregnant That's quit the mix of tastes.
                            Canada more square miles of awesomeness per person than any other country on earth.

Comment

Franks Red Hot Sauce, I put that S*** on Everything.

Really I do.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X