Life vest and lake patrol

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
We boat at a small lake in Central California. The lake patrol are very aggressive here and give tickets left and right for very minor stuff. Ok, I need a little feedback from you folks.

My 7 year old son is taking swim lessons to refine his strokes. Right now they are learning diving into the pool head first and some basic swim strokes. When we go boating, I like to have him practiced diving off the boat and practice his strokes. I want him to practice these activities without using a life vest to simulate real diving/swimming conditions. I will be in the water myself with my life vest on to spot him. We will probably be in a cove and the boat will be anchored. Do you folks think, the lake patrol will give me a hard time? Thanks.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Life vest and lake patrol

The only folks that can answer that is your lake patrol. Call 'em before you try it.:)

bekosh

Lieutenant

He only needs to have the jacket on while the boat is in motion. You'll be fine unless your state has some really screwed up laws.

EDIT: Just saw that you are in Kookyfornia. Better call.:)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/statelaws/California.html#PFD

In addition to the federal PFD carriage requirements, California has the following requirements for wearing a PFD:

If boating on a vessel that is 26 feet or less, every child 11 years of age or younger must wear a PFD, unless in an enclosed cabin OR restrained by a harness tethered to a sailboat. Children's PFDs must be U.S. Coast Guard-approved of Type I, II, III or V and must be appropriate for wearer's size and weight. Inflatable PFDs are not designed for use by children under the age of 16. A violation of the child PFD law can result in a fine up to $250.

So, the answer is yes, they will give you a hard time about it, and tak e your money.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Legal or not and because of the age of your son I'd keep all the non PFD diving confined to a swimming pool.
Weeds, rocks, lumber and who knows what else leaves no room for error.
Just my two cents.

mscher

Lieutenant

Hi all,
We boat at a small lake in Central California. The lake patrol are very aggressive here and give tickets left and right for very minor stuff.

Pretty much says it all.

Probably the best thing to do, is to invite your lawyer along and bring the regulation books. While he is sunning, he might find a clause that would determine that technically, you are "swimming" and not "boating". Don't even think about asking him to chip in for gas.

What ever happened to the days you could take even a slightest amount of risk and truely have a good time. :(

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

He only needs to have the jacket on while the boat is in motion.

I believe the child PFD laws across the country require that it must be worn at all times, not just when the boat is in motion.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

First, ask your lake patrol. We can't advise you because we don't know what their position on the matter is.

Second, find a specific place to do the swim training with your son. Check it out. Make sure there aren't obstructions, etc. Make sure its a place that is calm and otherwise safe. If you do these things, and the lake patrol tells you that the PFD issue is not a problem, you're good to go.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I believe the child PFD laws across the country require that it must be worn at all times, not just when the boat is in motion.
Federal law requires under 13 to wear a PFD only while underway. This only applies to Federal jurisdiction waters. Individual states may have requirements that apply to state controlled waters, but not all do.

This is the quote from the Wisconsin regs. Wisconsin does not have a separate requirement for children to wear a PFD.
In addition to the federal PFD carriage requirements, on federal waters in Wisconsin children under 13 years of age (that are not in a cabin or below deck) must wear a properly fitting PFD on all recreational boats while underway. This applies to waters only subject to federal jurisdiction.