What happens if nobody claims the powerball jackpot?

ZmOz

Captain
As far as I know, the guy who claimed to have the winning 340 million powerball ticket still hasn't come forward with it. Just curious...what happens to the jackpot if somebody wins but never comes forward? Like if they don't check their tickets or something. Does it get added back into the pool after a period of time? Does it go to some government agency? Where does it go?

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What happens if nobody claims the powerball jackpot?

I think they should give it to you. :D

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Naaa! he won't spend it :D

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by alden:<br /> I think they should give it to you. :D
Couldn't agree more. At least let me barrow it a few hours. I'll give it back....I promise. :D

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah...i think i was reading something like if he takes a lump sum its like 110mil. Ya get screwed no matter what!!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) In Massachusetts if not claimed in one year it goes back to the state!!!!!<br /><br />The fella that won 340 million is seeking advice from his financial adviser before coming forward!!! that was on the news here yeterday!!!! :) :cool:

ndemge

Commander

I would LOVE to owe $100M in taxes :) <br /><br />dtherrien, option is 50% upfront, or 100%, but annuity. then less taxes.<br />But man, I would LOVE to have to say that I owe uncle sam 100M$ in taxes :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea I always say cash option when I play.<br />Don't know if I will be around in twenty years and if you die, the rest is lost and goes to the state.<br /><br />I give them enough already. :mad:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Spinner, if you elect to take the 20 or 30 year payout, your estate will get it if you die before receiving the last payment. It doesn't go to the state. But can cause lots of trouble with the estate dispursment. Best to get it all and divide it up as you wish before you die.<br /><br />I think I would give each US citizen an equal cut of 21 cents. :) <br />NOT !!

jph20

Seaman

well now it's because their kid bought the ticket an he's only 17, state law say's you've gotta be 18! lottery officials say only thing that matter's is who ever bring's IN the winning ticket must be 18 state he won it in is the hold up now.....Guessen they be hiren a GOOD lawyer :eek: