Why doesn't my debit card work at the gas station?

ZmOz

Captain
I have a PayPal debit card (mastercard) that I get 1.5% cash back on for whatever I spend. I always use the card to buy gas because of that.<br /><br />For some reason, the last few weeks my card won't work at the pump. Not sure exactly what the reason is...remember, it's illegal for me to pump my own gas here. :rolleyes: I have to go inside where they swipe my card and make me sign the receipt.<br /><br />Anyone have any idea why this might be happening? The card still works fine anywhere else. And it's happened at 3 different stations. Normally when I pay at the pump they take out $1 immediately, and then the full amount a few days later. When I go inside they take out the full amount right away. What's the difference??<br /><br />I would just ask PayPal, but the only response anyone ever gets from their foreign support is a prewritten answer to a question you didn't ask. :rolleyes:

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why doesn't my debit card work at the gas station?

I heard about that. Something to do with credit cards being guaranteed. Debit cards are not for whatever reason. :confused:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

There isn't a reason why it shouldn't work, the transaction is processed the same whether it is a dbeit or credit card, and the same guarantees and safety functions are in place. What I have found out with my debit card though is it limits me to $75 when I pump gas. You can imagine how I have found that out...<br /><br />It must be some sort of limit that has been placed on it at some point. I guess you'll have to contact Paypal, good luck with that...

ZmOz

Captain

But if there was some kind of limit...why would it work inside? Still works normally at ATMs, stores, online purchases, etc.<br /><br />Do you think if I just reported the card lost/stolen and got a new one it would work?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Hard to say. Does this happen with every gas station, or is there only one gas station you use it at? Sometimes my company gas card does not work at the pump and I have to go inside, and invariably they say it is an issue with the reader in the pump.

ZmOz

Captain

Yep, it happens at every station I've tried lately - Chevron, Shell, and 76.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Can you process it as a credit transaction (versus debit)?

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> Can you process it as a credit transaction (versus debit)?
I don't think there's a choice at gas pumps. I have no idea, since I'm not allowed to work the pump, ( :rolleyes: ) but I've never had anyone ask at a gas station if it was credit or debit.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

If your card has the Visa or MC logo request them to process as credit. Debit gets approved IF there is money in the account (and PayPal may not be synced up) Credit is pre-approved. Worth a shot, bring cash JIC. :D

Homerr

Commander

Sounds like a PayPal thing.<br />I've only had to contact them a few time, but it was easy when I did. They were very helpful.<br /><br />Of course.. that was before Flea-Bay took them over. :eek: <br /><br /><br />H.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I have no idea, since I'm not allowed to work the pump, ( :rolleyes: )
What ZmOZ is saying here is that he lives in the Peoples Republic of Oregon where the powers that be they are going to guarantee that if you can't do anything else at least 'the people' will be forced to pay you Oregons lofty (I should have said Lefty) minumum wage to pump your gas for you while you can be arrested if you do it yourself.<br /><br />I, of course, live in Washington next door, where the Leftist Government has aquiesed to let us pump our own gas. When I fill up in Oregon I pump it myself amidst the hysterical protestations of the attendants. I just tell them that I am not going to sit around while they take their time to pump my gas and suggest that they call the Sheriffs. So far no one has taken me up on it.

D

DJ

Good,<br /><br />We've finally caught up with you. ;) :p :D

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Jersey they have to pump it for you too. Found this out one day at 4 A.M. after coming over the GW bridge from Philly. Since it was my first trip into Jersee I didn't realize how crappy thehood was until I came thru during the day.<br /><br />Just for kicks everybody: <br />Take a small magnifying glass to any of your checks and look at the line where you sign your name.<br />No it's not a line, there's words there.<br />Then read your bank agreement about your checking account.<br />Same rules apply to debit cards. For your protection you should only be conducting transactions where you sign a receipt w/ a debit card<br /><br />It will all come to light.<br />P.S. this is not a conspiracy theory, If you don't believe me ask your bank manager, not some teller why there's words under where your name goes

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Not allowed to pump your own gas? do you pay a premium price for it? boomer, what's the price diff between Washington & Oregon?<br /><br />If you sign for it instead of using your PIN, it's a credit transaction.<br /><br />My credit union debit card works like this: <br />Debit transactions are debited in real time (but some stores don't show up for a few hours for some reason);<br /><br />Credit transactions the money is subtracted from available balance (which is different from my current balance) until it posts, so I can't spend the money (or they won't use it to pay a check) but I still earn interest on it...that's how you get to be a rich honky boat owner like me. ;) <br /><br />Merchants usually ask "credit or debit?"

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />[QB] Not allowed to pump your own gas? do you pay a premium price for it?
Usually it's 5-10c higher in washington, but I think their gas tax might be higher. We definately pay more per gallon to hire these morons, their entire salary for 10+ workers must be added directly to the pump price.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

The dollar limit is put there by the owner of the station and applies to credit as well as debit cards. Not clear why they think it's necessary w/ a credit card, but most places have them. A lot of them are still at $50 but with current gas prices I'm guessing that's changed.

Twidget

Commander

Just to make the water a little murkier... At transaction through a PIN Pad will not be encripted if its a credit transaction since you sign for it. A debit is encripted as you use your PIN for the transaction. Dont ask me why, but that is the way they are set up.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Its a big consumer issue here in NJ, the use of a debit card is a preauthorized hold on the account, paypal may not allow that function, or the limit that the dealer is pre authorizing, common amount is up to 150. the consumer isssue is even if the purchase is only fifty, there can be a hold for a 150, and any other checks or charges put you over limit, costing you fee's. then the merchant turns in his slips to the wholesaler who process it at at the correct price. and all is good going forward. the advice is not to use a debit for gas purchases. they aint the same thing.