For The Love of Old Airplanes

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: For The Love of Old Airplanes

There is a story about the SR-71 that may or may not be true, but either way, its still fun.

Aircraft flying above 18,000 feet fly at what are called "flight levels." for example, an airliner flying at 35,000 feet, would be at Flight Level 350, aka "FL 350." During the early years of the SR-71, there weren't any civilian aircraft operating much above the "middle 30s," in terms of altitude, so that's the basic flight envelope that FAA controllers were used to dealing with.

As the story goes, an SR-71 checked in with an FAA "Center" controller, after being handled by military controllers, who would have known the Blackbird's true capabilities. When the pilot talked to the FAA controller, however, he supposedly asked for an altitude change to "FL 700," which would be 70,000 feet. To that, the FAA controller very sarcastically replied something along the lines of, "yeah, go for it if you think you can get your aircraft that high!"

A very short time later, the SR-71 pilot replied, "Roger, Blackbird out of FL 800 for FL 700." There was, of course, a moment of silence on the frequency thereafter!

:D:D:D

Jay, the way I heard it was in addition to the flight level change, the Blackbird was departing from Beale AFB in California bound for Homestead in Florida. When SFO center inquired about his estimated flight time enroute, he responded "five-niner", meaning that he would arrive at Homestead in 59 minutes. WHAT AN AIRCRAFT!!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think Burt Rutan is to airplanes what Prince is to music - weird but brilliant! And to think it all started with this ...

variviggen.jpg

WizeOne

Commander

Grumman XF8F-1 Bearcat

Designed to intercept Kamakazi aircraft that were expect to wreak havoc on US invading troops and ships during the invasion of Japan. Never really saw service due to the atomic bomb but was hell on wing in the Reno Air Show.

Chance Vought F4U Corsair.

One of the most formidable carrier aircraft of WWII. It took the Brits to show that the long, high nosed aircraft could be landed on Carriers. They pioneered the crab landing whereby they pilot had visual contact with the carrier deck just before touchdown.

F4 Phantom

Held many altitude climb records for years after it had fallen out of front line use. It was the plane that Dean Martins son was killed in. The Phantom suffered from 'compression' in a high speed dive. The engines and wings would fail to get sufficient air as the plane approached the speed of sound. The result would be loss of control and more than one pilot suffered the consequences.

All fabulous planes.

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grumman XF8F-1 Bearcat

... but was hell on wing in the Reno Air Show.

Rare Bear is on schedule to do it again. It's still in pieces on the hangar floor, but it will be back together by September.

F4 Phantom

The Phantom suffered from 'compression' in a high speed dive. The engines and wings would fail to get sufficient air as the plane approached the speed of sound. The result would be loss of control and more than one pilot suffered the consequences.

Not true. The F-4 Phantom II is a mach 2+ aircraft with variable intakes. The aircraft routinely approaches and surpasses the speed of sound. Although like most swept wing aircraft, it has a tendancy to go into PIO's at transonic speeds.

The F-86 Sabre had compressibilty problems when approaching the speed of sound, but then so do all the non-mach rated aircraft

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

So how did you old guys miss the flying jug?

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another great old warbird!
But I don't have any direct experience with them.

It was once said that if somebody built a runway that went completely around the world, Republic would build an aircraft that needed it.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Sorry! :eek:

Just got started, I just posted what came to mind at the moment. So many old birds, so little time.

But here you go ...

P-47 Thunderbolt
P47Midland07.jpg

Bigdaveaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First ride was in a Stearman, real eye opener!

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a farm near Mount Hope Ontario. The local Airport is the Hamilton airport, the home of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Assocation.During the summer they take out the "Lanc". I'm on the flightpath and when they fly her over the ground really does shake....lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH55dwlDVPE
The sound of not one but four Merlins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UFCyrunpY

waterinthefuel

Commander

I'd long been in love with the Cri Cri. Unfortunately Michel Colomban, the designer of the plane, refuses to sell any plans to any US builders due to liability concerns. I know this from reading and actually directly contacting Michel. He's a nice guy, but says sorry no plans for the US.

Sad too because that looks like one bad azz little plane.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

If we are going for KitPlanes, I'll take one of these ...

... a Turbine Legend! :D

DSC_0181%20Turbine%20Legend%20N724DG%20Gray%20Special%20left%20side%20in%20flight%20l.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Now back to timeless beauty, and a perfect example of "form follows function".

a Cessna 195.

DSC_0009%20Cessna%20195%20N195H%20cn7200%20left%20front%20l.jpg

MikDee

Banned

Great examples!

Anyone know what this:

BambooBomber.jpg

and this:

ce310-06.jpg

have in common?

Sky King, Wasn't that a Beechcraft Bonanza?

When I was a about 8, or 9, I used to love to build model boats, & planes, I loved them all, and could identify them all back then. A few of my favs were the P40D Warhawk (Flyimg Tiger), The P51 Mustang/English Spitfire, The Corsair, The F86 Sabre jet, The Lockheed Shooting Star, The PBY, and the Republic Seabee seaplanes, and a Grumman jet plane with a "coke bottle" shape, that I don't remember the name of?
Silly Me, back then I also loved PT boats, had a bunch of PT boat models, and dreamed about being a PT boat captain! long before I even knew JFK
Not to get off subject here, but, Who remembers the Army amphibious "Duck", another of my favs.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

I think Sky Kings first plane was a twin Beach. Later he flew a Cessna 310. I'll Google it.
I worked for Boeing Wichita in the mid 60's. They made a little observation plane proto. Weardest thing I ever saw. Anyone have any pictures. I think the designation number had a couple of 1's in it.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Cessna T-50 twin-engine "Bamboo Bomber" the first plane, then a 310B.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

My wife Anita, had 2 late uncles (Gordon thru marriage) who were pilots.

Uncle Gordon flew a Mosquitto.
Spent latter days with us a bit and he told me a lot about it.
Most flights were just 1 plane (not a group) and photo recon over Europe and identifying targets for bombers.
Some times single hassasment flights of trains and docks throughout Europe...they carried a cannon that was very effective apparantly.

Said he has seen every harbour in Nth Erope, several times.
Use to love racing low over Holland...the Dutch use to wave to them.

Then sent to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) to operate against the Japs in Burma...he talked of chasing trains....reckoned the rockets were useless.
Told me he did the photo recon of Nagasaki...they had to wait for the smoke to clear....couldn't believe what he saw....reckons only thing standing for miles were the triangle shaped corners of brick building...and they just flew up and down their photo paths.
Came home and became an accountant.

mosquitomktt35.jpg

Uncle Sim piloted one of these. Very quiet farmer. After the film about Betsy, he said they were there till the end of the war....no way out for them.
Came home, took over the farm, never flew again....just had a painting of the Lancaster above the fire place.

lancaster1.jpg

My uncle flew a bi-plane off the HMS Ark Royal....until it rolled over off Gibraltar. He never flew again.

My mates father was a jnr Dr, and applied to the RAF (from NZ) to join.
Sat an exam with the local Postmaster, passed, sent to England, and flew some sort of seaplane with a backward motor or something, launched off a warship.
Later sent to Pacific.
One day he turned up at my place, and took me to an Air Museum to show me what I thought he called a Fairley that he flew...a US job with big rotary motor, rear gunner and navigator underneath.
An amazing afternoon. Told me about his experience...probably for 4 hrs.
At a recent airshow thought I recognised his plane....but it was called an Avenger.....got me a bit confused.
Most amazing part of the story....he never told the military he was a Dr.

Cheers
Phillip

MikDee

Banned

Phil, that first plane picture looks like a version of the American twin engine "Black Widow" another of my favs, I think it was a P-38? and the seaplane you mentioned with the rear facing engine was probably a "Republic Seabee", as I recall they had a couple of them mounted on catapults on the fantail of the crusiers, & battleships.