• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Running out of propane in furnace

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running out of propane in furnace

So, now that I am living in my trailer, what happens when the propane tank which feeds the furnace runs out while I am at work, or out boating? Will this affect the furnace at all? My guess is no, but if there is anyone who knows better, I am all ears. I think I am worrying about nothing? Am I right? Thanks,B.C.

Re: Running out of propane in furnace

how large is the tank?If you are using small 20 or 30 pound tanks, you should have two hooked up, when one goes empty, the other will keep her going till you can refill.I would still have 2 tanks even if they are 100 pounders.Or do you have a big one? 250 liter, or 2000 liter?You might want to get a tank big enough to last you about 5 weeks in the coldest weather, then fill it once a month in winter. And every 3 months the rest of the year.As far as the furnace and water heater go, there should be no damage, but some can be hard to light if the run out of lp.this can be a major hassle, at night, in the rain, etc.Bigger worry is freezing waterlines if the gas runs out.Fortunatly, you don't get many freezing temps.I'm curious, what did you ever do for a sewer/holding tank/septic system?
    Medford, WI

Comment

I have three tanks. Two are 50lbs tanks and the other is a 100lbs tank. I only have one tank hooked up now, but back to the original question.Does anything happen to the furnace if it runs out of propane? I want to run one 50lbs tank until it is empty and see how long I get out of one tank. That is why I am asking. I intentionally want to run the tank dry. Just wondering if it will have any ill effects on the furnace? Probably not, but I just want to be sure. As for the septic tank issue:I ended up getting a portable 1000 gallon tank for $25 from a friend of a friend. It has a steel cage around it as well.I have not buried it yet, but that will be done within the next week. I have been staying with the girlfriend since it was too cold at night, and she's much warmer during the evenings.

Comment

BC, to answer your question, no, it won't hurt your furnace.

"JUST KEEP ON, KEEPING ON"
        "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Comment

i thought that, section 1, paragraph 5, line 1, subsection b, contingency 4,
          Medford, WI

Comment

I believe the biggest problem that youll have is that as the temp lowers and the liquid volume also lowers from use, the pressure drop may not keep the valve open for the pilot or main burner. old twenty pound tanks ive been told are unsuitable for use below frezzing on gas grills and the new tanks require a minimum presure to open the output valve on the tank, and the twenty lb tanks dont have enough liquid to get the minimum 12lb of pressure. on the gas grill when the temp rises the gas just runs out, the safety valve in the furnace should just keep u cold. or if it is defective blow u up. another reason not to use the gas stove for heat,in efficent and more likely to put out carbon monoxide.

Comment

((((looking around for JB))))j/k JB

Comment

Was just going to say, JB is the resident expert on this subject.

Comment

Hank Hill would know.He sells propane and propane accesories. Ken

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Got in here a little late but when we lived in a RV (in a park) we had the local propane service set us up on a scedule like JB has. Worked out well for us for two years then my Dad for another two years and for a friend who rented it from me for another two years.

Comment

Working...
                      X