Find these Hydraulic Cylinders and you could be rich.

f_inscreenname

Commander
The other night on my way to bed I came up with a solution to this idea I have had running in the back of my mind for some time. The problem is I have not been able to come up with 2 hydraulic cylinders that this whole deal hinges on. They have to be small and strong. The body of the cylinder can only be 4” long and have a minimum stroke of 3”. And the over all diameter of the cylinder should be as thin as possible. If you come up with a set that doesn't brake the bank I may cut you in when I bring my invention to the world. We may even be picked up by iboats. I do know one thing “it will work and there is a un taped market ready for a solution". :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Find these Hydraulic Cylinders and you could be rich.

What will be the lifting capacity?

ob

Admiral

Hydraulic servos can be fabricated instead of tracked down.However, a 4" max length and 3" minimum stroke doesn't leave much room for housing end ,guide bushing,or piston thickness.<br /><br />What's on your mind?

f_inscreenname

Commander

Trim for older Volvo's. I just came at it totally different angle and there it was.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Measurement do not have to be exact but should be within a inch. Also I guess you can say they need to push but two way would be better.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

betcha they have some gathering dust at NASA

f_inscreenname

Commander

Come on. I found a bunch that have 8" stroke. Look at the little cylinders on outboard trim set ups. There has to be something that size.

D

DJ

How about air? Either way, you have to have an onboard pump.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

4" long and a 3" thrust/stroke? That'd be 7" total. Whole thing sounds kinky to me.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you looked at trim "tap"cyl.?Theres a lot of different kinds on the older screw boats.Like CrisCraft,Trojan...

bassman283m

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, if this works, you owe me 10 bucks. Or a bottle of medium priced Scotch.<br /><br />Anyway, does it absolutely have to be a hydraulic cylinder? How about an electric servo with a lever either geared or cammed offset from the trim tab? (I'm assuming trim tabs here, don't really know anything about Volvos.) That could be packaged smaller than a hydraulic cylinder, I think. Are you talking about trimming the outdrive? I think it could work there, too, at least theoretically. Maybe I'm on the wrong track altogether. Can you give more info without blowing the patent?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Look at the slave cylinder on the trucks that have a hydraulic clutch release. One of the Volvo outdrive has a short cylinder. A good machine shop should be able to make a hyd cylinder. The 125 Force has a short trim cylinder.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Bassmanb <br /> They will under water when the boat is in use and the have to be strong enough to move the bottom of the drive out and hold it in possession (like a mercruiser dose). I figure I can use a Mercruiser trim pump. They are pretty easy to come by. Remember there will be one on each side working in tandem.<br /> clanton <br />A machine shop can make Hydraulic cylinders? Aren't they a little more complicated then that? As for your suggestions on where to look. My sources are limited in those areas. There is e-bay but with out looking at it in person I am not sure what sizes they are.<br />Snap and One more<br />Thanks for the links. <br />Snap; The first one has become my last option. At least now I have a option. Kind of hard on the wallet. I need two. The second is experiencing technical difficulties. Will check back later. <br />One; A custom made cylinder has to be bucks. I need to keep it cost effective or it would be cheeper to change drives. <br /> Some one has a lawn tractor or snow plow that has a small hydro (or whatever will work under water) cylinder on it.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe look into some of the "less than"high dollar Marinas.They usually have old boats sitting around that might have what you are looking for.

f_inscreenname

Commander

We have two places like that "boat junk yards" but they are shut down till March. I think both owners take off to Florida for the winter and party and laugh together on how much money they made on us poor suckers that need those old parts. If you ever redid a older boat you know what I mean.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Go to a farming community and check out some of the cultivator guidance systems. Older ones had cylinders about like you are describing. I don't know dimensions, but sounds close. Also check John Deere tractor front ends. During the 50's and 60's some of them (5010) had hydrolic steering by cylinders.<br />Maybe look at rack and pinion sets from cars. Use a power steering pump off of the engine to run the oil?<br />Or fabricate your own. If this idea you have works, cylinders are simple peices of equipment. <br />It is possible to cut the shaft of cylinders to shorten them. Thread a block onto the shaft to keep it from sucking all the way in. <br />Look into riding lawn equipment, some have hydrolics.<br />These are some of the ideas I can think of right off. <br />Good luck in your search. There has to be something our there that will work for a prototype until you get off the ground. Then it would be better to make your own.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

One more idea after I posted. Check with bobcat or similar skid steer loaders. They have a lot of hydrolic attachments.<br />remember though, if you run 2 cylinders in tandem, you will need one slightly smaller, or a smaller hose, or separator valve to distribute the fluid evenly. If not one cylinder will take the full force of the lift until it fills, then the second cylinder will fill and assist. <br />Yes cylinders are easy simple peices of equipment. Take one apart sometime and check it out. It is just a pipe with a shaft in it. The shaft has 2 cups that seal against the walls of the pipe when they fill with fluid. They have a seal to hold the oil in.<br />I wouldn't worry a lot right off about running it under water. Cylinders are sealed tight to hold in the massive oil pressure they take. As the cylinder retracts it has a seal that squeegies the shaft clean. Only problem might be salt water eating away at the seal or the shaft in time, but if it works this would be an easy fix I would think.