• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Splinter from pressure treated 2 x 4! Gulp!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splinter from pressure treated 2 x 4! Gulp!

Do I recall a thread regarding drastic consequences of getting a splinter from pressure treated wood? Well I just got one in the web between my thumb and pointer finger.

I was able to pull it all the way out. I squeezed it to make it bleed as much as I could then rinsed it in hydrogen peroxide. I sure hope that is all there is to it.
    For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.-2 Timothy 4:3-4:

Re: Splinter from pressure treated 2 x 4! Gulp!

No it will not do.
    You must pressure treat your finger
    Make sure the plug is in

Comment

Too late! Your arm will turn green and start to dry out causing warpage. The only known cure is to head to Home Depot for a bottle of Pressure Treated Wood Splinter Pressure Reliever. If that doesn't work, jam a splinter in your big toe...you'll forget all about the one in your hand. Not to worry WiseOne, you are probably referring to when it had arsenic in the treatment. I think now they are required to use zinc oxide or something like that. I get them all the time. You will live!!!

Comment

On the plus side, your finger will never rot now that it is "Wolmanized".
        Seriously, just keep it clean and you should have no problem, I've had a million "Treated" splinters (old stuff, new stuff it didn't matter) and I've never had a problem.

Yet.
        Last edited by Bass Man Bruce; May 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM. Reason: clarity
        Often Wrong,
        but never in doubt!

Comment

ny hands are so scared from splinters, keep it clean, old days we used a little turpintine, or mineral spirits.
          FLORIDA GATORS
          TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
          That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

The still give arsenic to old horses and skinny people to make then hungry and gain weight.

Any sudden cravings for pizza? Oh wait..that is from another drug.

At least you will be well preserved!

The big question that is on everybodys mind is not if you will survive, not if you are in pain, not if your medical bills will be covered, but was it working on a boat????

Speedy recovery.
            sigpic Internal combustion is a passing fad!

Comment

Originally posted by External Combustion View Post
              ..... but was it working on a boat????
              Unfortunately it was not, it was rebuilding a rotten side yard gate to the boat yard.

Thanks all! Glad to hear that I will live to be able to poke someone else on this forum.
              For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.-2 Timothy 4:3-4:

Comment

OMG! Run don't walk to the nearest emergency room where they will put you into a chemically induced coma until a cure can be found. No time to waste!
                sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                  OMG! Run don't walk to the nearest emergency room where they will put you into a chemically induced coma until a cure can be found. No time to waste!

You laugh Mark, but I know I heard somewhere that someone got a splinter from pressure treated wood and their ???? swelled up like a balloon....and no, I did not read it in the National Inquirerer.

Comment

Thanks all! Glad to hear that I will live to be able to poke someone else on this forum.[/QUOTE]

Have fun on all our accounts. Most of our oxen have been gored so many times it is impossible to get them to turn! The more scarred they are the more they seem to laugh.

Pop always told me no to take life too seriously. I'm counting on you now to remind me of that!

Comment

The bad news is your digit will swell and get very sore, the good news is it's just from the bacterial infection and a few days later it will be back to normal.
                      Removed

Comment

Now, the smell of that fester (you can't smell it) will draw wombat babies.
                        That' not good for your yard, or the neighborhood. Hell, that's not good for anybody.
                        Or am I thinking about a Dingo?

Comment

Originally posted by tashasdaddy View Post
                          old days we used a little turpintine, or mineral spirits.
                          I got treated with:

kerosene for cuts and scrapes
                          chewing tobacco for insect bites
                          and diesel fuel for jellyfish stings

It's a wonder your generation didn't kill all of mine.
                          Crosby Sled, '69 Evinrude 33HP Ski-Twin [Restoration Thread]

Comment

Originally posted by i386 View Post
                            I got treated with:

kerosene for cuts and scrapes
                            chewing tobacco for insect bites
                            and diesel fuel for jellyfish stings

It's a wonder your generation didn't kill all of mine.
                            Made you tough didn't it?

Comment

My mom would have put Vicks Vapo-Rub on it... or Campho-phenique (sp?). and then the next day a dose of Castoria.

Comment

Working...
                              X