Worst car you have owned

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Worst car you have owned

1976 Ford Mustang II. Took it to prom. Real POS with that dog of a four banger. It was also a bear to park in if yu get my drift..

Carphunter

Commander

lol at Toad, especially for your last sentence. :D <br /><br />.......You do know why thats funny , don't ya. ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The worst quality car I ever owned was a 1959 English Ford Anglia. Bought it new. Junked it at 48,000 miles when it's third engine blew up.<br /><br />Worst condition was a 1936 Ford sedan. I have no idea what the miles were. Bought it off a lot in 1951 for $35. It lasted about 2 weeks and expired.<br /><br />Car I hated most was a 1966 Chrysler Town and Country wagon, with 440/6. Bought it new. Engine was the only part of that car that worked worth a flip. Wallowed like a barge. Brakes were so bad that they would not lock at all over 25mph.

rwise

Captain

My worst car was a 1964 galaxy 500, i must have put 50 transmitions in that thing. Pull up and shut it off go to leave and nothing!

LubeDude

Admiral

Bought a brand new Audi Fox in 1978, What a POS. I never even was able to get all the way to work for the first month without it backfireing and stranding me at a stop sign. I do not know how many times I called and told the dealer where to find it. I finally took it to the dealer and demanded my money back.. They took the head and complete intake system off another car and exchanged it with mine and I never had another problem. After the devorce, Exwife put over 200,000 miles on that car.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1978 Buick Regal with 305 v8. It was a real ****mobile, but it was a dog. By the time I got 70k miles on odometer it had a flattened cam, cracked torqe converter, a leak in the back seat, engine light would stay on, power windows broke twice. It would keep running after ignition switch was off. Power seats had a short in them because GM didn't put enough wire in the linkage to allow the seat to move all the way back. Everything was engineered to be assembled once and never taken apart. Even the clock didn't work. Biggest piece of cr@p I ever owned. <br /><br />But it looked good!<br /><br />This car resulted in me swearing off GM products to this day.

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did'nt have to think for a second on this one. 1972 Vega. Burned about a quart of oil every 100 miles. Burned so much oil that you would run out of oil before running out of gas. It had an electric fuel pump that would only work if there was enough oil pressure. <br /> Once I ran out of gas going up a moderate incline and had to wait until the oil in the top of the engine dripped down into the oilpan(pickup tube must of been in front of engine). After waiting 5 min. it started right up and I made a beeline to nearest gas station to get some oil.<br /> Doors were so rusty that you could unlock it by pulling door skin out and reaching up to unlock it(I never locked it on purpose). Threw a rod right in front of everybody while on my way to lunch(highschool) I left it there and went to lunch with someone else and when I got back it had a ticket on it so I left it there.

suzuki115

Seaman

The worst vehicle I have ever owned is also my favorite one I have owned.<br />'97 Dodge Dakota, 318 ci 4x4, 5 spd : Lifters replaced 3500 miles; brake calliper fell off 9000 miles; manifold gasket blew 38000 miles(defective gasket).<br /><br />After the bugs were worked out, it has taken the most "off-raod" abuse of all the 4x4's I've owned inlcuding some impressive air time.

JoeW

When I was in the Army in Europe I owned a 1967 Simca. That was a pretty crappy car. Engine ran but the defroster didn't work and the widsheild wiper broke off the first time I tried to use it. I can still remember driving through the snow & freezing rain with one hand out the window wiping the windshield with the broken wiper. At the same time one buddy sat in the back wiping the back window and another in the passenger seat wiping off the windsheild. Oh yea, it was a stick shift too. :eek:

JoeW

Burned so much oil that you would run out of oil before running out of gas.
LOL...Yep! Been there! <br /><br /><br />"Fill it up with oil and check the gas"

JoeW

Anybody ever own a Yugo? I understand that the last model sold in the US came with a rear window defroster as standard equipment. That was so your hands didn't get cold as you pushed that POS down the road!

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a 1968 BUICK ELECTRA 225 the only good thing about that car I can remember was my first wreck got out and looked at my car and only had a scratch on it the back of the Toyota truck was completely destroyed.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by joew94th:<br /> Anybody ever own a Yugo? I understand that the last model sold in the US came with a rear window defroster as standard equipment. That was so your hands didn't get cold as you pushed that POS down the road!
I always understood the name YUGO was derived from the drivers arm out the window waving at cars behind and signaling them to pass YOU GO!! YOU GO!!

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Carphunter, <br /><br />Its almost impossible to pull it off in the passenger seat of a cramped car with a non reclining bucket seat and high centre console...<br /> :eek: <br /><br />Where theres a will, theres a way. ;) <br /><br />A Honda CRX seemed spacious in contrast.

11 footer

Lieutenant

The ulgyest car we ever had was my dads car when I was first born, a late 70's Dodge aspen coupe with a slant six, he drove that thing into the ground. I can remember looking threw the trunk and seeing pavement it was so rusted out. He junked it with I was about five because the seat fell threw the floor boards, but ran like a top and still didn't use a drop of oil!<br /><br />14years later. He has a lot more money now then he did back then and still bought a POS. He bought a 2004 Escalade,put 2,000 miles on it and we all agreed that it sucked! It used more gas then most pickups, but couldn't be used a a truck. I used WAY more gas then a full sized car and didn't ride as good. We got rid of that pig.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I thought I had some crappy cars, but most of you have me beat.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I bought wife #1 a brand spanking new Renault Alliance back in 19whatever....what a turd! Head cracked twice, a/c never worked, rack stripped out on steering, brakes were a joke, wheel bearings, shift knob fell off every week,......it went on and on....

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

As a po boy, I had a nasty habit of driving rusty, rollin-trash cans. Here is my short list;<br />Five worst cars I'v owned...<br />5. 1965 Rebel...hauled axe, but the two-door doors rusted of at the top hinge,and drank more fuel than a M1-A1.<br /><br />4, 1979 Ford Mustang , purchased new. I got an honest 12K before it threw a timing belt, and never was right after that.<br /><br />3, 1973 Maverick. Purchased from a car lot with no waranntee, it blew up on the way home, n/s.<br /><br />2. 1963Ford pickup....made the new 1985 model seem allmost decent. Overall, not a bad old rust bucket, but the tranny grenaded on a deserted highway at 3am, and i didn't get home until 5pm that afternoon. <br /><br />1. A Ford pickup purchased new in 1985.... One snake-bit POS. After the fourth return to the dealer for repairs, I left it there with the keys in the ignition, running, rod knocking.<br /><br />That was my last Ford....Not to knock Ford in general. But I just got fed-up after a bad series of POS Fords, and the 85 was the icing on the Ford cake.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Guageguy, you should of had the Super Gremi. It worked wonders for me :D . Worst car for me was a 72 Duster that I won in a pink slip race with the Grimlin. Maybe he let me beat him just to get it off his hands? :confused: <br /><br />That Duster seemed to always be breaking down. On its last journey, the rear end locked up while I was cruising about 70. Wildest ride I had ever taken through a corn field. After the ears busted out the windshield is when my friend and I got almost beaten to death by the corn. Then instead of going straight it had to start sliding sideways. When that happened is when it thought it should roll a couple of times. I knew I should have thrown that 20' log chain in the trunk. (kept the chain for when it broke down) What the corn didn't do to us, the chain did.