mosquito magnet, anyone here ever try one?

salty87

Commander
i've been looking into getting one of these but am curious to hear some real results. i'm buying a house that sits on an acre near a creek....lots of mosquitos when the creek stops running!<br /><br />link: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/products.html <br /><br />it burns propane to give off CO2 to attract the bugs, then it traps them and they die.<br /><br />anyone have one? ever seen one in use? know someone who knows someone?

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: mosquito magnet, anyone here ever try one?

My friend has one, it does catch a bunch of mosquitoes, he has shown me thousands of dead ones but he can't tell the difference from the quantity of them in his yard and mine (and I have a brook 50 yards from me). He thinks that he actually attracts more with the dang thing.<br /><br />Build some bat houses. I've heard that they eat ridiculous amounts of skeeters each night. They are really neat to watch at dusk, zooming around catching bugs. I like to mess with them, tossing stuff into the air, watching their radar lock onto it and then swoop at it.<br /><br />You are never gonna get rid of all the skeeters. You kill one, ten come to take it's place :rolleyes:

ehenry

Commander

If you get one set it up away from where you spend the most time outside. I have a large patio and deck behind my house and havae a skeeter problem. I bought one of those Mosquito Magnets and at first set it up on the far corner of the deck....not much change in population but then I moved it out behind my shop which is about 25 to 30 yards away and that made a world of difference, Hope this helps.

salty87

Commander

that does help. i've read about placement and i could put the mosquito magnet in the shade between the creek and my deck.<br /><br />efhenry, you say it made a world of difference....would you say it was worth the price? which model do you have?<br /><br />gaugeguy, there are bats where i live now. they work great, no fuss/no muss.i don't think they like wooded areas too much though.<br /><br />thanks for the replies

gaugeguy

Captain

Actually, I live in a heavily wooded area. The cool thing about that is once the bats are in the yard, they stay there because the trees are like walls to them.

18rabbit

Captain

Eat garlic. It’s good for you and mosquitoes avoid people that eat garlic. It'll keep vampires away, too, should you also have those in your area. Too much garlic and it will also keep away friends, neighbors, wife (or wives)…<br /><br />I saw a thing on TV about the bat houses. You can buy the kits online but they are real simple to make yourself. Bats will keep things in check unless there isn’t enough food for them, they’ll split. But, anything that attracts bats might also attract vampires. Better to eat more garlic, just in case.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

We have one with some sort of light that attracts them in and then a fan quickly forces then in to a tray of water with detergent or something in it. That fixes them.<br />Only problem is, don't put it near where you are, but away a bit, otherwise you get bitten twice as much.<br />We still have problems, so as we dine outside most of the year, after dark we use a coil under the table and a couple of burners with "Tea Tree" oil. They work fine.<br />I also make sure there are no "things" like old car tires/containers of any description lying around the place that holds water for them to breed in. That really cuts their population down.<br />The best way of all to avoid bites, is wear "Planters Order" after dark (Brit term from Colonial Days - long slacks, long sleeve shirts).<br />Cheers<br />Phillip