Heavy Hauling.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
I got a truck rated at 8600lb towing, and I need to haul a trailer up a hill about 500 yards. The load would be around 10,000lbs. This will not be on public roads. Anyone see a problem with doing this twice a year?

And yes the truck has a low gear range but this will be on dry pavement and will have to be turned. Not so good for the drive.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Heavy Hauling.

Well.
My 2 cents.
Going uphill with that load would be a little safer than downhill. With an 8,600 lb tow rating the brakes should be able to handle a stop if necessary ( on dry pavement )
The truck will be a bit of a dog going up the hill.
How steep is this hill? That will make a big difference too.
It might pull it up a 5% grade, but not a 20% grade.

By "Not on Public Roads" do you mean on private property or a gated community type of area?
If you are not endangering others (who don't know it, i.e. not the land owner) AND depending on the steepness, then I would say go for it. You won't be doing it often or long enough to kill your truck.

AK Chappy

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Context:

I found a great little marina which charges $36/foot for a slip. So that figures out to be around a grand for a 30ft boat for a season. The deal is I want to be able to pull and winter store the boat myself. I want to upgrade my boat to one that will be under 10,000lbs and comes with a trailer. I would pull from a local marina and winter store on site right there. My 2004 expedition is rated at around 8600lbs. I only need to pull the boat out and park it in the lot. Travel lift expenses can add up quick and I want the luxury to move to a different lake if I get bored. I am looking at keeping it on lake Winnebego but in a couple of years I may want to move it to Lake Michigan, I would rent or borrow a diesel duelly for that move, but I could still pull and launch with my existing vehicle.

I don't think it will hurt the truck but if I am wrong it would be cheaper to get a 3/4 ton or alter my plans. I am by nature a cheap guy when it comes to buying things that I would only use twice a year, and I know travel lift expenses can get up there Fast. I also know that trailer tow rating figure in brakes, load at speed, etc. As I would never exceed 5mph most of those variables are mute. But I don't want to fry a tranny to save a grand in pulling with a travel lift.

bandit86

Banned

if you use low range, there is absolutely no problems with it. If I'm correct, your expedition is the same basic truck as a f150 underneath, which is rated for 9800ish pounds.

I firmly believe the max towing capacity is for highway driving at high speed in case of emergency lane change or stopping.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Agree with SBN. Just be sure to check the tow capacity of the hitch assembly on the truck. Be sure it's reeeal close or excedes the weight of the load.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys, I thought that was the case but I am no engine guru..d:)

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Wait, you said uphill twice a year. A couple of years and your bound to have to go downhill. Then your brakes give out and you've got a problem.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Go for it.
Use low range going down the hill also.

Curious. Where is your marina? Dad used to have a place on bago.
East shore? THey have hills there.
West shore? They have mole hills.