How Thick does Ice have to be to walk on it?

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How Thick does Ice have to be to walk on it?

This morning, two guys near here were found under the ice in a quarry where they had been scuba diving yesterday.

sloopy

Commander

Well I did it and was fine! although I fell in in both ends (it was only 2 feet deep) because the ice is thin near the shore (why?) but in the middle of the lake were it is 120 feet deep it was 4 inches thick! <br /><br />legs are still cold...<br /><br />THANKS!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I warned ya, Sloopy! Didn't I warn ya, boy?<br />I done told you ice aint for walkin on. It makes the Jack Daniels taste like parmesian cheese! Now don't be walkin on the ice no more :eek: :D <br />.

Moose_Miller

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ice gets weak near the shore because of the ground temp is warmer than 32 degrees. The ground thaws the ice. Late in the winter when it starts warming up, we lay out a plank across the "moat" to go ice fishing.

masterp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good jod Sloopy. The guys on this post gave you alot of good advice. I especially liked the warning about weakness, having a buddy and crawling flat if you think you are in trouble. But even the best of men get in trouble! Always ice fish or walk with a buddy!