Fish-Cost per Pound $$$

D

DJ

For all of us fisherman, I've often wondered just how much $$$ those fish we catch cost per pound. Considering: price of rig, fuel, etc.<br /><br />What do you think?

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fish-Cost per Pound $$$

Whooooooooooo. Can't let the wife catch me writing this one... But looks pretty bad since the new boat is only three months old. I'll get back with you in five years after I've been able to amortize the cost the new boat. If you'd asked the question four months ago -- I would'nt have to hide this one from the wife.<br /><br />And since the more you catch the less it'll cost. Sooooooooo, since derwood hasn't been catching any fish and his cost per pound must be skyrocketing by the minute. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When you add it up it is even higher than venison! But as the commercail says.....<br /><br />The enjoyment is Priceless!!!! :D <br /><br />Bob

Fishbusters

Ensign

Well as i release a lot of the fish I catch the cost per pound of what I keep is somewhere around the price of a brand new space shuttle LOL. Now if you get down to it I can take less than $10.00 and catch hundreds of meals but fishing is not for sustinance but fun in my opinion so it does not matter. This is kind of like asking a golfer how much every hole in one cost, or asking a skier how much it cost them to reach the bottom of the mountian.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Fishing is worth any amount of effort and any amount of expense to people who love it, because in the end you get such a large number of dreams per fish". Ian Frazier<br /><br />Not to mention the large number of memories per fish. :)

D

DJ

Warhorse,<br /><br />I hear ya. Everytime my wife brings it up I IMEDIATELY change the subject. :D <br /><br />I know it's not the point of boat ownership. <br /><br />Just for fun.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

oh sure, pick on the leper. the curse has not lifted eaither. i got my boat back....in FL i guess you can't go more than fifty bucks over the estiment....he quoated 100 bucks and charged me 142.00.....now he did replace the coil. he said he replaced the throttle bushing(5.00 bucks...big whoop) but he also said that he replaced 15 rivets. i think he should have done more than 15, whats more is i can't even see the ones he said he replaced because of all the green goop,on top of that he BROKE one of my steering pulleys slap off and did not say a word about it. i was at work and my in-law picked up the boat. :mad: :mad: if the bottom of old shade tree even looks like it might think about sweating, me and the boat bum are going to have some words. i can fix the pulley bolt for under a buck but thats not the point, he could have at least said sorry. :mad: as for the cost of fish per lb, with the curse in full swing....i fell like i'm at a boobie bar tossing ones over the back of the boat, can't even get a lap dance. broken boat $$$ bait death$$$ lost tackel$$$ alter refurbeshing$$$ bribe for the fish gods$$$ lucky rabbits foot$$$ can of acme curse lifter$$$....lets see....@##@*&%%$#@& thats 29.95 a scale. how many scales dose a fish have anyways? looks like i'm going to have to start getting crafty. is it unethical to make your kids get summer jobs to pay for fishen? i could quit eating. siphoning gas out of the wife's blazer for tiller fuel is'nt considered a fellony in FL...YET! i could raid the neibors fancy garden pond for those big gold fish things(coi), i herd they make great(free)bass bait. if i add the cost of bail money into it...this could get exspencive. i may have to ask the wife to get a job at the local roast cat. left over lo mein looks like night crawlers(taste like it to). we'll see ;) <br />derwood

D

DJ

Derwood,<br /><br />He did you a favor, he didn't charge you $149.99!<br /><br />You are going to have to start going after fish WITHOUT scales. Maybe catfish?? It's the ONLY way you are going to get out of this thing without going flat bust. <br /><br />The fish gods may look favorably upon you if you target some of their minions that are lower on their scale of importance. Of course that is my thinking. It would be just my luck that catfish are on the top of the fish god social scale. (pun intended). :D

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boat purchase actual $1500<br />Improvements $500<br />Kicker $400<br />General maintenance $200 per annum<br /><br />Bait $15<br />Fuel $35<br />Oil $ 3<br />Ramp fee $ 5<br />Truck fuel $30<br />Tackle $10<br />Film $ 3<br />Barter price to borrow fish for pictures $10<br />Fish market purchase $ 5<br />Flowers $20<br />Fishing partners hush case of beer $13<br /> _____<br /> $149<br /><br />Factor in no telephone calls, no work and serenity, I figure I am ahead.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Hey djohns19 He most likely won't be able to catch a catfish either. Everyone knows a catfish is the most blessed creature the fish gods created. My guess is he needs to look at panfishing or perhaps if things are as bad as you suggest golf. BWWHAHAHAHA Golf

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

you guys are starting to get mean, golf....the only way you'll see me on a golf coarse is if i've got the cup marker rigged up with 12lb test at one of the water hazerds. i happen to like panfish. i think of them as minni bass. i like catfish but i think that the curse is a broad target curse and affects all finned creatures. i have been good, said all my best fish prayers, made all the proper sacrifices, filed a flight plan through the proper fish god channels, kept my nose clean for a hole 2 weeks and have the blessings of my wife( who the fish gods love) now its up to me to hold up my end of the bargain and not make them mad at me ever again. that means smilling and saying yes when my brother asks to borrow my favorite lure(no matter how i realy feel) no more wakeing up the wife at 4:00 in the mornig to take a picture of fish. all fish must be properly sacrificed at the alter(no more kitchen catastrifees) and fully reading the fish god hand book( including the small print) wish me luck. :) <br />derwood

Fishbusters

Ensign

Heck let me help out. All my life I have been blessed by those fishing gods as well as a whole slew of others and I feel it makes me some sort of holy man. So here goes, "Bless you my son may your rods bend hard and line not break under the weight of the many fish you will catch on your next trip."

D

DJ

Derwood,<br /><br />THE ONLY good time I had on a golf course was a little one in South Dakota. The owner actually didn't mind if you had a shotgun in your bag and popped off a couple at the pesky geese that hung around there.<br /><br />I shot an absolutely pathetic game but I did bag a nice one. A fitting end to week of work up there.

Viper

Cadet

Good one MG -<br /><br />Cost of truck, boat, gas, oil, bait, tackle, etc. etc. if you calculated it all up, you would still be out there. Peace, quiet & good friends = priceless.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

thanks peter, my own priesthood has been hanging in the balance. i think that it might have helped. i went out this weekend.... it started out the same as always...got up at 6:00am did'nt leave till 10:30am. found out the battery for my fish finder is no good( had to borrow one) then about five miles from the house the trailer tire blew( no spare) had to call the calvery( my beloved wife...the saint) left there at 12:30pm. got to the boat ramp and got a spot to park(it was right next to the ramp, a mirical) left there and got about 1000ft from the dock and the @@#%^^*$$#% motor quits. after 2 hrs and a hole lot of pullen i noticed that when i pummped the primmer ball gas was squirten out of the fitten to the motor. i took off the line to the filter and gave it a good puff of air and put it back together and she started right up. the day was almost shot(3:30pm) so i putted over to a grass flat i know, caught some pin fish with shrimp( do i even have to say that ALL my live shrimp were DEAD.) and fished the outgoing tide. caught a couple of NICE trout and went home. the next day i went out without a hitch.(well almost, finding someplace to put in that was not full took a while) i got in some good scouting and on the outgoing tide in almost the same spot i got another nice trout and some small ones. i also caught a nice mackral that got off at the boat. that was probly a good thing. i think it was a test. i almost put my thumb in its mouth. :eek: never caught a mackral before( they don't come into the canals for shore fishen) they seem to have some teeth...or should i say mandebals of death. i had my thumb right there and it went and opened its mouth and said "snap,snap,kasnap". almost threw my shoulder out getten my thumb outa harms way. my eyes were as big as dinner plates when i saw those chompers. coulda lost a finger or something, at the least i would have been one hurten pup for sure. i had a good time this weekend dispite the rough start :D the fog of the curse is lifting. :) :) <br /> derwood.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Derwood my young apprentice NEVER NEVER EVER NOT EVEN FOR MONEY stick your finger in any S/W fish's mouth unless you know what kind of fish it is and the likelyhood of losing a digit or 5. Most but not all s/w fish have some sort of killer teeth even fish with names such as weakfish can put a hurting on you (weakfish=trout).

D

DJ

Derwood,<br /><br />I believe the spell is OVER. Congrat's!!! :D <br /><br />You've actually caught some fish! ;) <br /><br />Now, we need to work on the mechanical gremlins that seem to follow your rig(s) around. I don't believe they are related to the fish gods. Yes, they do talk, but each substrata has their own powers. I think you outsmarted them-THIS TIME! But, beware, they're on your trail.<br /><br />I'm not sure about the incantations for these.<br /><br />May I suggest:<br /><br />-Back to the alter (in this case the outside work bench), burn some TC-3 in the fish scale container. Watch out for the EPA though! Just consult "12 footer".<br /><br />-throw some gear lube over your shoulder.<br /><br />-cut off two inches of fuel line and and burn it with the TC-3.<br /><br />-And ALWAYS keep two spark plugs in your tackle box. That-oughta send em screeching back to mechanical %^&$!<br /><br />We're pullin' for ya!!

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

you are right peter. trout have teeth. i have had trout thumb every year since i was old enough to brag about skunking my grandpa at catching them. the last few years it has started to bother me and i went out and bought a pair of gloves. i don't know why it never bothered me before to have my thumb turned to hamburger, eather way it dose now. the only saltwater fish i don't know much about are mackarel,permit,tarpon and cobia. these fish are'nt here all year or don't come into the canals round hernando. realy i don't know what i was thinking (sun stroke). also i don't touch any thing i can't identify, and some i can. i was told that i was lucky that i did not grab the mack. eather, apearently they are like cats and are pointy on 5 out of 6 sides. my freind said that their fins are sharp as well. :eek: don't realy care bout tarpon. i can't eat it and i don't want to harm such a noble fish out of stupidity.( i gather that they are fragel to a point) doubt i'll get to much of a chance to catch permit, least not now anyway. i know a little about cobia, they say they can break a mans leg when on deck if they are big enough. they have been known to break chairs when flopping arround on deck. nothing a fish bat weilded by an shoafin monk wont cure( wounded bear style gung fu) i have seen most of the poison ones, if it looks like a govenment secreat progect, just cut the line and re-rig. no need to even mess arruond. i got a pleaseing gift from the fish gods sunday night. a new fish recipe. fish,salt and pepper,a grill(wood for fuel) and pace picantae sauce. even my kid (1 of 4)that dose'nt like fish unless it comes out of a cardboard sea liked it. thats saying something. i would like to try it with some lemon added to it. yall have got to try it. its good " i garonteee" (to quote the late great cajiun) the mech. gods are always ticked at me. i belong to the shade tree clan( arch enimes) i wear three spark plugs arround my neck and can make a new power head out of old chewing gum and beer caps. if i can't fix it on the water it was made broke....well maby i have done some creative things in my time, best not push it. i've got to post the picture of the shade tree special...redneck art at its shadyest. i fixed the holes in the bottom with beer cans and epoxy. they don't leak but the new rivets put in by the boat bum sure do. i'll fix that mess my way. ;) <br />derwood.<br />P.S. i'll do the mech. sacrifice anyway. out of respect for a worthy advisary.